It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Terror Watchlist Grows to 80,000 Names

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The terror watchlist the US government uses to screen airline passengers has reportedly grown to include over 80,000 names. The list is currently classified, but the overall numbers were reported through European air industry sources. The watch list includes a "no fly" section, requiring police involvement, and a "selectee" section that requires passengers to undergo further security checks.

news.yahoo.com
STOCKHOLM (AFP) - A watchlist of possible terror suspects distributed by the US government to airlines for pre-flight checks is now 80,000 names long, a Swedish newspaper reported, citing European air industry sources.

The classified list, which carried just 16 names before the September 11, 2001 attacks in New York and Washington had grown to 1,000 by the end of 2001, to 40,000 a year later and now stands at 80,000, Svenska Dagbladet reported.

Airlines must check each passenger flying to a US destination against the list, and contact the US Department of Homeland Security for further investigation if there is a matching name.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Sounds like quite a phone book.

Too bad it isn't accurate or still being fully used...

Related News Links:
www.businessweek.com
www.cbsnews.com
www.occupationalhazards.com

[edit on 9-12-2005 by loam]

[edit on 15-2-2006 by Nerdling]

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
And people call me paranoid?

How do they actually form these lists?

'Oh, he looks dodgy, must be a terrorist'
'List `im'
'Already have'

One mighty list.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Ohh...

I hope I am on there.

I would so laugh my ass off, if I was. I bet we all are.

U.S. Terror Watchlist: 80,000 members.
50,000members from ATS alone.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I'm not familiar with the details of this list. Is it 80,000 Americans that are on the watch list or is 80,000 people from around the world?

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Umbrax, from around the World.

Basically, it is a master list of people that the U.S. do not want in the U.S. Some of the people are not allowed to board planes bound for the U.S. and so on and so fourth.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
My name is apparently on the "selectee" list as I found out this summer.

It's not me, it's someone else with the same name and a different birthday, it's still a pain in the behind though. I can't use curbside checkin for one thing, I have to check in at the counter and present my ID before checking in my luggage. The TSA also goes through my luggage, or is supposed to, they actually managed to search my mother's luggage instead of mine. At least they left a nice note saying they'd done it

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Thanks Odium

16 shooting up to 80,000 is huge no matter how you look at it. Has the list always been classified? Who would have been the original 16? Is the Number 80,000 only that large to make people feel safe?
So many questions...

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Has anyone been caught with this list?

I don't mean it as a criticism, but has anyone ever been caught?

I expect it can be successful even if it catches no one; its existence alone might deter some plots, or at least require the perpetrators to get new passports and ID cards.

But has it actually caught anyone?

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Have they ever caught anyone?

Well...it seems they caught Ted Kennedy trying to board a flight or two.

The link was in the opening post, btw. I wonder why he was on it in the first place?

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Nygdan, I tend to think it won't help at all...

It is so easy to get fake documents, to get a fake passport that it won't really stop a terrorist network from doing it. If these are ment to be such large organisations, that how hard would it be just to use members not on the list?

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Yep; I'm on that watch list--and I fly for a living. It turns out some Islamic bad guy tried to use my name to get on an aircraft. I have a very common American name (like John Smith) so I suspect others with the same name get harrased as well.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
I tend to think it won't help at all...

It is so easy to get fake documents, to get a fake passport that it won't really stop a terrorist network from doing it. If these are ment to be such large organisations, that how hard would it be just to use members not on the list?

I tend to agree. If you are intent on terrorism, you are unlikely to do so by flying under your real identity. I'm afraid that this list is probably far more effective at harassing the innocent who are unfortunate enough to share the name of someone on the list.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   

325,000 Names on Terrorism List

The National Counterterrorism Center maintains a central repository of 325,000 names of international terrorism suspects or people who allegedly aid them, a number that has more than quadrupled since the fall of 2003, according to counterterrorism officials.

The list kept by the National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC) -- created in 2004 to be the primary U.S. terrorism intelligence agency -- contains a far greater number of international terrorism suspects and associated names in a single government database than has previously been disclosed. Because the same person may appear under different spellings or aliases, the true number of people is estimated to be more than 200,000, according to NCTC officials.

U.S. citizens make up "only a very, very small fraction" of that number, said an administration official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of his agency's policies. "The vast majority are non-U.S. persons and do not live in the U.S.," he added. An NCTC official refused to say how many on the list -- put together from reports supplied by the CIA, the FBI, the National Security Agency (NSA) and other agencies -- are U.S. citizens.

more...

Even 200,000 is a big number.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The list is useless if the neighboring countries don't use it. How hard would it be to fly into Canada or Mexico and slip over the border?

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
My sister in law told me of a gentlemen she works with who is of arab descent. His name is on the list, and every time he flies, they pull him off to the side for a full search. He said it is a pain in the ass, but hey, if it keeps you safe when flying, then more power to them. He said international travel is actually easier than just traveling in the US from city to city. Go figure.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I agree on the safety issue. That's why it puzzled me to read a thread here where people were against showing ID's at the airport. I still can't figure that one out.

One of the reasons the list is so large is that they need to take into account the dozen different spellings of Mohammed, and other peculiarities of the Arabic naming system.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
I'm afraid that this list is probably far more effective at harassing the innocent who are unfortunate enough to share the name of someone on the list.

Yeah, like Real ID and no-gun zones. Do they really think that CRIMINALS are honest enough to give their real name, or find another weapon to commit mass murder with because they can't take their gun inside?

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Regarding yet another list:

Pentagon says improper data in security database

The Pentagon said on Wednesday a review launched after revelations that it had collected data on U.S. peace activists found that roughly 260 entries in a classified database of possible terrorist threats should not have been kept there.

But the review reaffirmed the value of the so-called Talon reporting system on potential threats to Pentagon personnel or facilities by international terrorists, said Bryan Whitman, a senior Pentagon spokesman. He said the Pentagon was putting in place new safeguards and oversight intended to prevent improper information from going in the database.

Whitman said "less than 2 percent" of the more than 13,000 database entries provided through the Talon system "should not have been there or should have been removed at a certain point in time."

More...

[edit on 6-4-2006 by loam]

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Anyway to check if one's name is in that list? Aside from finding out as you are about to board a plane, that is.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Gerry Adams is on that list

..about bloody time too!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join