It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Law Enforcement to Seize T-shirts Sold by Retailers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Mayor vows in crackdown to snatch snitchin’ shirts

Mayor Thomas M. Menino is cracking down on the Hub’s hard-core hoodlums and even the taunting “Stop Snitchin’ ” T-shirts they wear — sparking an immediate outcry from civil liberties lawyers.

Joining a contingent of politicians, law enforcement officials and youth outreach workers ordered to an emergency meeting at City Hall yesterday, Menino vowed to combat the soaring crime rate.

Among the steps: Sending city Inspectional Services Division officials to seize T-shirts emblazoned with the “Stop Snitchin’ ” message.

“It’s wrong,” Menino said. “We are going into every retail store that sells the shirts and remove them.”

The Herald reported the shirts were worn by the mother of a reputed gang member earlier this year during his trial for a shooting that killed 10-year-old Trina Persad.

The mayor did not say what legal authority ISD would cite in seizing the shirts from retailers...

The T-shirts — which sometimes bear a logo with an octagonal stop sign riddled with bullets — have surfaced in Boston and cities across the nation including Baltimore and Pittsburg. Officials say the shirts are intended to intimidate witnesses to crime. Store owners say the shirts are a harmless novelty...

more...

This is an amazing story.... I obviously don't support the intent of the message, but I also don't support the notion that the state can seize what amounts to an expression of free (political?) speech...

We are seeing daily violations of the constitution by our government, and what amazes me most is that so few AMERICANS seem to care...

[edit on 6-12-2005 by loam]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
WTF?

This is NOT legal. Of course, neither are the Constitutional infringements contained in the about-to-become-permanent Patriot Act.

Oh yeah. And the Patriot Act encorages people to snitch, right? Or is that the Homeland Security Act? Or the Anti-Terrorism Act? I get so confused with all this new anti-freedom legislation. Just can't remember what's what any more.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Although i think the mayor is out to lunch on this one, it points to a deeper problem.

The mafia has always claimed that its conversations with judges, local businesses, etc, are always "free speech." Getting that list of potential jurors is demanded under the auspices of the Freedom of Information act.

ARE these T-shirts designed to intimidate? Really????

I could see allowing the shops to sell them, but telling the public that anyone wearing these shirts will obviously arouse the "interest" of the police---tho they will still need to develop probable cause.

Back when I was a comissioned officer, I would have LOVED it for all the perps to wear a bright red T-shirt with a catchy logo on the front. Would have saved a lot of passersby from aggravating stop-and-search routines.

We could make it easier tho . . . convice the perps that it is more taunting to police if they would wear something other than a stop-sign:

How about a big red bullseye!

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
Back when I was a comissioned officer, I would have LOVED it for all the perps to wear a bright red T-shirt with a catchy logo on the front. Would have saved a lot of passersby from aggravating stop-and-search routines.

It's amazing that more people don't get this. The best way to be able to differentiate between the good/bad smart/not is to let them do and say what they want. Down with opressive NBA dresscode rules and PC language bull. Let it be obvious who and what we're dealing with. Allowing people free rein is the next best thing to having them wear a sign board.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

It's amazing that more people don't get this. The best way to be able to differentiate between the good/bad smart/not is to let them do and say what they want. Down with opressive NBA dresscode rules and PC language bull. Let it be obvious who and what we're dealing with. Allowing people free rein is the next best thing to having them wear a sign board.

Ya know... I can't disagree with either of you on that front. Interesting thought.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Hmmm. I would wear one of those to protest so-called anti-terrorist campaigns that try to turn Americans on each other. But yeah, I guess some people mean 'don't snitch on your law-breaking buddies.'

All about perspective i guess. Also illegal in the new Amerika.

new topics

top topics

join