It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. Closes Embassy in Manila Due to Terror Threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
The United States embassy in Manila, the Philippines announced that it will be closed for an indeterminate period of time starting today due to "plausible threat information" received by the mission. The embassy also urged U.S. citizens in the Philippines to "observe vigilant personal security precautions and to remain aware of the continued potential for terrorist attacks against Americans, US or other Western interests." An Islamic militant plot to attack the embassy with a truck bomb was disrupted by Philippine police earlier this year.

www.forbes.com
MANILA (AFX) - The US embassy in the Philippines declared a temporary closure of its public services amid a 'plausible threat' to the mission.

US embassy spokesman Matt Lussenhop said there was a 'plausible threat to the security of the embassy,' adding 'we got some information and we thought that the sources were credible enough to merit the closing of the services of the embassy.'

However he would not disclose the nature of the threat or who had provided the information on the threat.

The embassy also warned US citizens here to 'observe vigilant personal security precautions and to remain aware of the continued potential for terrorist attacks against Americans, US or other Western interests.'

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Philippines is probably a ripe target for jihad, but it seems the authorities there have a bit better grip on it then in some other nearby countries, like Indonesia. Hopefully this information is bogus, or the plan will be thwarted like the last one.

Related News Links:
edition.cnn.com

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
in the clash of civilizations.

After the ousting of Marcos, the Philipino govt has tried to distance itself from USA, and vice versa.

The southern and western areas have since bloody Muslim/Christian mayhem since WWII; which continues to escalate.

Two of the larger "insurgencies" are Jemaah Islamiah, and Rajah Solaiman:

www.alertnet.org...

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Considering my wife is in the Philippines I tahkn god she's not in Manila or Mindanao every day.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Having been to the Philippines, I think overall the country is a safe place to visit. I have not been to Manilla - visiting the Cebu / Bohol areas - so I can not say with certainty that Manilla is overall a pretty safe place as well. I did not encounter any situations or news items that made me worry.

Of course, as with any major city, you do need to take certain precautions and be vigilant - such as Manilla. And avoid the southern portions of the Philippines were terrorist activity has been known to occur.

top topics

join