It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Global Warming Claims Pacific Village

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Villagers on the Island of tegua in Vanuatu have been forced to dismantle their huts and move the settlement of Lateu inland by over 500 metres. Massive king tides and rising sea levels in recent years have seen the village flooded up to five times a year. On another pacific island off New Guinea, 2000 villagers are also planning to move their villages inland due to rising sea levels and two other pacific islands Tebua Tarawa and Abanuea in Kiribati, disappeared underwater in 1999.

www.news.com.au

Coastal Erosion on tegua

RISING seas have forced 100 people on a Pacific island to move to higher ground in what may be the first example of a village formally displaced because of modern global warming, a UN report has said.

Cyclone on Tegua Vanautu

With coconut palms on the coast already standing in water, inhabitants in the Lateu settlement on Tegua Island in Vanuatu started dismantling their wooden homes in August and moved about 548.64m inland.

"They could no longer live on the coast," Taito Nakalevu, a climate change expert at the Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Program.

The spokesman was attending a 189-nation conference in Montreal on ways to fight climate change.

Map

To help Lateu, Canada provided $US50,000 ($66,649) to build a system to collect and store up to 36,000 litres of rain water to break dependence on springs by the coast.

A Vanuatu Island

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

These are just the first in what may well be a series of movements inland by coastal settlements throughout our oceans.

Here in my own home town residents building next to the sea face a constant battle of erosion and loss of beach as the king tides get stranger and occur more often. Perhaps it is the fault of the people living so close to the waterline but it seems the problem is ongoing with no signs of letting up.

I live in the same area of the world that is spoken of above and from personal experience I have seen great changes in the coastline in such a short period of time along with the destruction of the coral reef.

Related News Links:
www.sprep.org.ws

[edit on 5-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Excellent presentation. And GREAT update.

Thanks.

These little island nations are only the first causalties methinks. Should we be saying "collateral damage"?

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Now I wonder why the UN report would pick on an area of Australia as an example?

Oh I know! Because they did not sign the Koyota treaty

[edit on 12/5/2005 by shots]

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Hmmm. "Move away from the coastline"... "to the inland"... But now these Vanuatuians are getting evacuated from the inland and out to the coastline. They actually don´t have any place to go...

As I also posted here (In the "Volcano Watch 2005" thread) :

ABC News: Vanuatu residents evacuated as volcano threatens

December 5, 2005

Authorities in Vanuatu have begun evacuating thousands of villagers from homes near an erupting volcano on the island of Ambae, amid fears of a major explosion.

Lake Vui lies in the crater of Manaro, making the volcano the most dangerous in the Pacific island country. "If the chamber breaks and water reaches magma, there will be a terrific explosion, the like of which has not been seen in the country before," volcanologist Douglas Charlie told the Vanuatu Daily Post.

Prime Minister Ham Lini declared a state of emergency on Ambae after flying over the island at the weekend and ordered the deployment of two ships to evacuate residents if the eruption worsens. Local authorities have hired private vehicles to move about 5,000 people from villages near the volcano in the centre of the island to coastal areas.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I also have a similar thread (rising sea level claim islands) on ATS: First To Be Officially Evacuated Because Of Climate Change

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Now I wonder why the UN report would pick on an area of Australia as an example?

Oh I know! Because they did not sign the Koyota treaty

[edit on 12/5/2005 by shots]

Um... That's not Australia, it's Vanuatu. Completely independent of Australia in all aspects, in fact it's even French speaking.

"The British and French, who settled the New Hebrides in the 19th century, agreed in 1906 to an Anglo-French Condominium, which administered the islands until independence in 1980." - CIA Factbook.

Vanuatu is a signatory to the Kyoto Protocol too. I don't see where you're going with this...

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
why is it always the less fortunate and innocent that suffer and pay the price for the actions of the rich and uncaring. But maybe thats why they are the less fortunate because these things seem to always happen to them.
Thanks for the ample pictures though sure is beautiful out there, different than the concrete and steel here in the city.

Ive said it before and ill say it again, ever since i have joined this website I have come to take one hope (im agnostic but none the less) That after our individual time is up here on earth our true nature will be reveiled and justice served

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
If only coastal cities (new orleans comes to mind) would adopt this mentality.
If your city gets destroied by nature then you should get out of her way!

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Flooding...I feel a certain kinship to these people...

To mrjones in regards to New Orleans, it's far too late to "move this city up" as many misunderstanding folks have said we should do. It just can't be done. The possibility that within the next century, this once fine city will be nothing but a memory is just something we will have to come to accept.

Again, in the situation of these folks out in the islands, ESPECIALLY out in the islands, there's really nothing that can be done. I feel sorry that so many people are being forced to deal with the loss of their homes, but you know what they say "This captain goes down with the ship"
I have a feeling that these people won't want to leave their home any more than the people of New Orleans.

--Kit.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Kitsunegari,
We are saying the same thing, you can not stand against nature

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4for4
Um... That's not Australia, it's Vanuatu. Completely independent of Australia in all aspects, in fact it's even French speaking.

Ok I stand corrected on the Australian part. As I recalled both French and UK administered it and I was not aware they became a country on their own, however they speak more English then French.

local languages (more than 100) 72.6%, pidgin (known as Bislama or Bichelama) 23.1%, English 1.9%, French 1.4%, other 0.3%, unspecified 0.7% (1999 Census) (Source CIA Fact book)

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I'm sorry mrjones, i was commenting on the "get out of her way" part of your post. It's offensive when people say things like that to us, like adding insult to injury.
I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, and sorry I took it the wrong way, I've just ben needing to vent lately and as a result it shows in my posts, hehe. I'm working on that.

(sorry for the off topic nature of my posts in this thread, that stops here)

--Kit.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrjones

you can not stand against nature

I can go with that.

I will however, do my darndest to stand against corporate- owned governments' destruction of this beautiful world. And I won't let them weasel and call it "nature" either. It's greed.

top topics

join