It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Holographic Storage Disc Ready to be Released Next Year

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
New technology brings new machines. In computer terms, it hopefully will be as simple as just adding the drive to your computer to allow you to read from these new storage products.

Troy

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
[edit on 12/8/2005 by ptownrob]

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I'm not a Luddite or anything, but doesn't it bother anyone else that we are creating technologies so much faster than we are ourselves able to comprehend their ramifications that we are bound to kill ourselves off?

It could be computers, could be genetic manipulation, could be environmental destruction. In all these wonderful accolades that appear every time someone's video game will work faster, no one ever seems to say, "Wait a minute- what's the bigger picture here?" How long will it before our bacchanalian worship of technology without ethical considerations leads to extinction of human life as we know it?

This technology removes one of the last roadblocks standing in the way of a fully optical computer, we have had the technology to create almost a full Optronic Based computer since '04 now I believe we do have the tech. Hopefullly by '08 the first Optichips will come out. I personally can't wait!

Oh and JSO one of my profs told me the other day that if it was optically based rather then magnetic there is virtually no limit to the amoumt of R/W heads inside the casing. He also thinks flashing them should be possible as well.

[edit on 5-12-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
100 disc of this format would only equal 30 terabytes of data. Some science sites have that much data alone. Maybe 1 or 2 exabytes would do it. This would be 3,333,333 of these new discs.

www.jamesshuggins.com...

I think someday they will be able to put all knowledge on an object the size of credit card with future breakthroughs.

I read somewhere on the web about a company developing a 10 petabyte harddrive to come out in 3-5 yrs.

Someday soon you'll be able to buy a computer with a 10 petabyte harddrive and a 2 teraflops of memory 25 gigahertz core speed chip and 20 processors on the die of course you'll want holigraphic virtual reality vid and 16 channel sound.

[edit on 12/8/2005 by bodebliss]

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss
Someday soon you'll be able to buy a computer with a 10 petabyte harddrive and a 2 teraflops of memory 25 gigahertz core speed chip and 20 processors on the die of course you'll want holigraphic virtual reality vid and 16 channel sound.
[edit on 12/8/2005 by bodebliss]

I would LOVE to play Leisure Suit Larry games on that... or even some C&C games.....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join