It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying a new Video Card

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Im looking to get a new video card for my gaming pc. Any suggestions?

I do not have pci express, so that is out of the question.

I have narrowed it down to:

-Radeon X850XT
-Geforce 6800GT
-Radeon X800XL

Of course I am open to suggestions of others, but I believe these are best for what my system can take.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Sorry I can't help Dulcimer, but I wan't to piggy-back something on your thread.

I need a video card as well, just to run stuff from my VCR to my PC so that I can put it on disc. Anyone with suggestions on that, I'd appreciate it. "Cheap and functional" is the key phrase, and the card needs to work with Win98SE.

I have a new CDR/RW with the latest Nero software, if that helps???

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Dulcimer,

Looking at your "possibles" I have to ask what the chipset is on your M/B? Not knowing, I would have to say if you're running an AMD I would say go with the GeForce. If you're running an Intel go for the Radeon.

AnxietyDisorder,

Your "needs" are for a video capture card.

"Cheap and functional"

$35-50 on Ebay ... you get what you pay for.!?
ya know.
Hauppauge WinTV TV turner PCI card
Hauppage WinTV-PVR 250 PCI Capture Card

I would recommend a Hauppauge card if you're on a budget. $ for $ they make a good product with compatible software..

Peace2All

[edit on 12/4/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I have an AMD.

I currently have a radeon card, and I havnt been too happy with its performance. :shk:

I am still undecided though.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Dulcimer,

What is the chipset on your motherboard?

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Why do you want to know that, I just want to decide between the 3 cards already listed here...

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I've been a great fan of the GeForce. Had one (different ones) in all my PC's and only once had a problem when the cooling fan on the card came to a standstill and the chip fried. Question is what your "greatest graphics" application will be? Gaming?

@anxietydisorder
I would suggest a separate TV card. There are hordes of them out there big names and smaller/unknown brands, and they come cheap. Well, at least cheaper than replacing a graphics (video) card.
When you pick one you might want to consider the type of support and software you get with it.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
CNET.com says if you are a serious gamer, the X800XL is the way to go. I think I have a 9800 in my machine(256 MB RAM) and it makes Sims 2 fly, but the X800XL is cheaper than the other 2 and CNET says it is a notch about the 850XT and the 6800 Ultra....

Hope that helps.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Dulcimer before you buy a video card consider something first. Is your Mobo good enough to be expanded for years to come? The reason I ask is because there is a revolution going on in MOBO design called SLI (Which ATI is NOT part of). Basically SLI lets to put in two video cards into your Mobo and have them work in Tandem. I would suggest getting a AMD Socket 939/940 Nforce 4 SLI board with 2 Gefore 6800 cards.(or One and then save up for a 7800 as they can both work together with a BIOS update).

SLI is the future.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
If you are considering the SLi option then bear in mind that whilst Sardion2000 may reckon that SLi is the way forward he has not pointed out ATI's offering of "Crossfire". Whilst at the moment the cards would be connected via an external cable there are plans which I think are going to come to fruition according to The Inquirer and will free up room as opposed to the Nvidia offering. I personally have no experience here, I am merely offering another option as I heard of it.

According to this website the ATI offering seems to fair better in tests, but I have not had time to look at the full review and so that is just what I saw from the graphs. Please do look at the site as it looks like it could be an ok review.

P.S. ATI Crossfire sometimes also goes under ATI AMR
P.P.S. I have been very satisfied with my built in ATI Mobile Radeon but choose carefully and most definately don't make your decision solely upon what you hear here!

EDIT: (ATI's official blurb can be found here at their website)

[edit on 5/12/05 by Infidellic]

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I have thought about upgrading just for the dual card capabilities. then I think to myself, I can barely afford one card !

To answer the question, yes this will be for gaming.

I think I will either get the x800xl or gf6800gt.

the x850xt does not seem to be worth the price compared to the x800xl.

I still have not decided, I might buy one this wednesday, but I may hold off until later.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Go with the 6800GT if it is 256mb GDDR3.

If not, get the X850.

If possible, stick to GT or GTO, they tend to be the best kinds of graphics card, such as the 6800 GTO.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
There is another option 4 u to consider.

Very soon, Nvidia will be releasing the 6800GS card.
In performance, it will be between 6800ulta and 7800.
Cost should be about $250.

Linky:

www.theinquirer.net...

www.theinquirer.net...

Performace comparison:

www.theinquirer.net...

Hope this helps u.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The BFG Tech GeForce 6800 GT OC 256MB will most likely be the choice.

Based on the same great architecture as the BFG GeForce™ 6800 Ultra OC™, this card is overclocked out-of-the-box and features a powerful 16-pipe superscalar GPU with 256MB of GDDR3 memory for the mainstream enthusiast.

* Features: Superscalar GPU architecture
* NVIDIA® CineFX(TM) 3.0 engine
* On-chip video processor
* High-speed GDDR3 memory interface
* NVIDIA® UltraShadow(TM) II technology
* 64-bit texture filtering and blending
* NVIDIA® Intellisample(TM) 3.0 technology
* NVIDIA® ForceWare(TM) Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)
* NVIDIA® nView(TM) multi-display technology
* NVIDIA® Digital Vibrance Control(TM) 3.0
* AGP 8X
* Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 support
* Custom BFG cooling solution with polished nickel finish and dual blue LED lights
* Bus Type AGP
* Memory 256MB GDDR3
* Core Clock 370MHz (vs. 350MHZ standard)
* Memory Clock 1000MHz (effective)
* RAMDAC Dual 400MHz
* API Support Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0, OpenGL for Microsoft® Windows®
* Connectors VGA, DVI, S-Video-Out
* 555 million vertices/sec setup
* 32.0GB/second memory bandwidth

top topics

join