1. The Rainmakers-- the most cruelly unappreciated American rock band of the last 20 years. Absolutely my favorite band ever and always. Bob
Walkenhorst is a genius.
2. The The-- Matt Johnson speaks directly to me. He sings things that I only think. "I've got too much energy to switch off my mind, but not
enough to get myself organized." His "This is the Day" is my single favorite song.
3. Soul Coughing-- not really a band per se. It's just one guy who composes songs, plays all the instruments, then cuts up his own songs and
4. Frank Zappa-- an original. Either you get him or you don't-- I do. And I miss him. The world became a starker place with his passing.
5. There are too many that I can think of, and none that rank far enough above any of the others. Maybe Shriekback or the Dead Milkmen or the
Stranglers or The Flaming Lips or Lloyd Cole or XTC or Hank Williams or...
Pink Floyd (until Roger left, then Roger's solo stuff from that point on)
Dire Straits (and Mark Knopfler's solo stuff)
Mojave 3 (and Neil Halstead's solo stuff)
Red House Painters (and Mark Kozelek's solo stuff / Sun Kil Moon)
The Above Top Secret Web site is a wholly owned social content community of The Above Network, LLC.
This content community relies on user-generated content from our member contributors. The opinions of our members are not those of site ownership who maintains strict editorial agnosticism and simply provides a collaborative venue for free expression.
All content copyright 2013, The Above Network, LLC.