It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alzheimers a newly found form of Diabetes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
When I read this I was shocked, never could I imagine that insulin levels had anything to do with Diabetes but apparently the evidence has been growing for some time. My Grandfather has Alzheimers and I can attest that it is a horrible disease. I really hope this pans out as if it is this simple as lower insulin levels.... alot of us alive today will be spared this indignity for all time.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

Researchers at Rhode Island Hospital and Brown Medical School have discovered that insulin and its receptors drop significantly in the brain during the early stages of Alzheimer's disease, and that levels decline progressively as the disease becomes more severe, leading to further evidence that Alzheimer's is a new type of diabetes. They also found that acetylcholine deficiency, a hallmark of the disease, is linked directly to the loss of insulin and insulin-like growth factor function in the brain.

/snip

"Insulin disappears early and dramatically in Alzheimer's disease. And many of the unexplained features of Alzheimer's, such as cell death and tangles in the brain, appear to be linked to abnormalities in insulin signaling. This demonstrates that the disease is most likely a neuroendocrine disorder, or another type of diabetes," says senior author Suzanne M. de la Monte, a neuropathologist at Rhode Island Hospital and a professor of pathology at Brown Medical School in Providence, RI.

/snip

"This has important implications for treatment," de la Monte says. "If you could target the disease early, you could prevent the further loss of neurons. But you would have to target not just the loss of insulin but the resistance of its receptors in the brain."

I will continue to hope this scourge of old age gets beaten...

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Interesting article.
I have a grandmother with Alzheimer's and I think my parents had her insulin levels checked and didn't find anything wrong with them at the time.

Perhaps this doesn't apply to everyone or there may be different forms of the disease.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Oops in the beginning paragraph I said Diabetes instead of Alzheimers. doh .

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
sardion - both Alzheimers and diabetes (2 ?) are linked to prion infection.

Seems to me the 'progression' described here might involve specific new strains developing in the body.

GREAT find btw.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Really? I thought Diabetes was linked to poor lifestyle choices(lack of excersize and excessive sugar)

'Infectious Diabetes' Theory Slammed

There seems to be controversy about the claim that Diabetes is a "prion-like" infection.

Type 2 Diabetes CAN be completely reversed by Lifestyle changes.

www.betterhumans.com...

Not to sure about the Alzheimers - Prion link will have to do more research but as I doubt it.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Really? I thought Diabetes was linked to poor lifestyle choices(lack of excersize and excessive sugar)

Mainly smoke and mirrors - about cover-up, denial of culpability and liability.

There seems to be controversy about the claim that Diabetes is a "prion-like" infection.

Type 2 Diabetes CAN be completely reversed by Lifestyle changes.

Not to sure about the Alzheimers - Prion link will have to do more research but as I doubt it.

The link between prions/misfolded proteins, Type II diabetes, Alzheimer's and other diseases is quite solid. Most prion-related diseases are multifactorial - and are triggered by environmental exposures. So often, lifestyle changes do have an effect.

I pulled the following with a quick search - one report I know about but didn't find is from the NIH (2003?) - and it proves that a prion enzyme is involved with diabtes.

"Misfolded proteins are the basis of a number of seemingly unconnected diseases, including age-related diseases like type II diabetes, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, as well as 'mad cow' (BSE) and other prion diseases."

Nature: "...misfolded proteins are behind diseases as diverse as type II diabetes, CJD and Alzheimer's.

ScienceDaily: "Patients suffering from diseases as varied as Type II diabetes, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and dozens of lesser known maladies have one thing in common: they suffer from a large build up of amyloids, tissue that's created when millions upon millions of misfolded proteins stick together and form a mass that the body can't get rid of on its own."

Prions and other misfolded proteins can cause a wide variety of diseases, including the human version of mad cow, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, diabetes, cystic fibrosis, and even cancer.

A variety of debilitating diseases including diabetes, Alzheimer's, Huntington's, Parkinson's, and prion-based diseases are linked to stress within the endoplasmic reticulum (ER). ...Our results demonstrate a direct mechanism(s) by which misfolded proteins lead to cellular damage and death.

ed for better accuracy

[edit on 5-12-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

BULL!!

Is there a SINGLE disease we could discuss here that ISN'T linked to "prion infection," according to you?

I wish you would just ONCE allow others to intelligently discuss TRUE disease issues without having to constantly sidetrack their threads with your never-ending prion yammering.

It is so tiresome. And no, I don't want to see your 6,000 links to your own posts; your collection of non-peer-reviewed "journals;" and your hogwash-filled, paranoid Web "sources."

Seriously, if you want to talk about prions even more (although you'd have to be getting sick of it by now; my mind positively quails at the idea), just bump one of the 20,902,123,698,134 other prion threads you've already started and leave this one alone.

On topic, I wonder how worried older folks with late-onset diabetes should be. My grandmother, who recently passed away, spent her last year in a nursing home in the grip of very-late-onset, very-fast-acting Alzheimer’s. It was horrible, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone (although maybe just a little for soficrow so she forgets about prions; but no, not really). It really sucks, and I'd love to see this research open new avenues for treatment. Imagine how much less frightening getting older could be without so much fear of dementia.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hamburglar

BULL!!

I wish you would just ONCE allow others to intelligently discuss TRUE disease issues without having to constantly sidetrack their threads with your never-ending prion yammering.

My sources are legitimate - much of the research referenced was done through the US National Institutes of Health - and is available on the National NIH medical database. Also, it's pretty old news.

Do you have any sources? Links?

[edit on 6-12-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

My sources are legitimate - much of the research referenced was done through the US National Institutes of Health - and is available on the National NIH medical database. [edit on 6-12-2005 by soficrow]

That’s not the point.

The point is, leave it alone or start your own thread. This thread IS NOT about prions, and it’s not about your theories.

You seem to think that every medically-related thread would benefit from your mile-long “prions-are-the-cause-of-everything” rants.

Then, inevitably, you end up hijacking the thread. After that, they usually die quickly, assuming anyone even bothers to read past your topic-changing posts.

And you then spend the rest of the thread’s short lifespan preaching from your stolen pulpit about mad cow, bird flu, prions, and the CDC (which, even after you’ve been exposed, you continue to lie about).

It’s not polite, and I for one am tired of every time I see an interesting medical topic, I have to think, “should I bother to read it, or is it just another soficrow rant by now”?

Cut it out, please!

Hope that was more polite and less of a “personal attack.” And thanks for the explanation at least, Mod, twas kind of you.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I'd like to see some larger followup studies, because I kind of suspect that it may be a "cart before the horse" sort of discovery. Alzheimers patients are not as well cared-for in their later stages as are those who are alert and can care for themselves. And I don't think their diets are as well regulated.

I'd like to see another study that also included what they ate and whether they were at risk for diabetes. Untreated diabetes can cause confusion and other symptoms that appear to be Alzheimers. Historic studies can also be done to determine if diabetics have a higher risk of Alzheimers.

Remember that one of the long-term effects of diabetes is diabetic neuropathy, where the nerves lose function as a result of the disease. It doesn't surprise me to see it in the brain.

I think that, for us, if we have family members with Alzheimers, they should be monitored for blood sugar variations. And I think that those of us with diabetes (including adult onset diabetes) need to take strong measures to keep insulin under control.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hamburglar

My sources are legitimate - much of the research referenced was done through the US National Institutes of Health - and is available on the National NIH medical database. [edit on 6-12-2005 by soficrow]

That’s not the point.

The point is, leave it alone or start your own thread. This thread IS NOT about prions, and it’s not about your theories.

Given the very substantial scientific evidence linking prions to these and other diseases, I thought providing these links amounts to a legitimate contribution. ...These are not my personal theories. I am just publicizing the research.

However, I can see how it can be off-putting so I will just make my point and back off. Thanks for the advice. If I screw up and make the same mistake again, could you please be a bit more gentle though?

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Given the very substantial scientific evidence linking prions to these and other diseases, I thought providing these links amounts to a legitimate contribution. ...These are not my personal theories. I am just publicizing the research.

Understood. I sense a pattern, though, with many of your recent posts. In essence, it seems you try to link EVERYTHING to prions. I can understand; right now, they are a cause du jour for the medical community. But, by limiting discussion to prions, we ignore other potential causes and treatments.

Originally posted by soficrowIf I screw up and make the same mistake again, could you please be a bit more gentle though?

It's a deal. Sorry for being agressive. I'm a Capricorn. I like to butt heads.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Just because a disease is similar to another, Does not mean it comes from the same "Cause". And it is rather simplistic to blame a disease on one "cause". Whether it be "diet", "prions" or "diabetes."

As a Long term care Nurse, As well as being trained in Alzheimer disease's. Via State Regulations.

I can Tell you that Alz. Is more like Neurological Lupis. Then diabetes. It has a strong Genetic Link like Cancer. And has Many Variables That contribute to the causes. exp like Genetics, Viruses, Blood vessels defects, Drug induced, Down's syndrome, HIV, Heavy drinking, Cerebral Blunt Trauma, Environmental Causes Much like the "prion prophet" talks about, Thyroid, Vitamin, Etc.

In the Fantasy world. If Alzheimer’s was merely induced by lack of proper pancreas functioning. Then A lot of Alzheimer’s would be "slowed" down by proper diet, exercise, Glycemic meds or Insulin Therapy.

But its not reality. While there is Diabetic induced neuropathy, It fails to mention that the rest of the Body Is also Damaged as well. That is why Diabetic's Can not feel "sensations" like pain, pressure, heat, etc. And tend to Have problems with Healing From previous injuries.

Blaming "diseases" on simple Causes. Is either ignorance or Worse, A scam conspiracy used to sell a "quack" cure.

As a Health care provider, And a person Who watched Both of his Grandparent's have Alzheimer’s. It pains me to watch people Talk about something. They have no knowledge about. And then they turn and belittle us as well.

Please Remember, Everybody No matter How healthy. Will Someday have Aged induced dementia, or worse some Cognitive Disease. There is no Cure for "Age". But you can slow it down. (As I am sure the Healthy eccentrics will testify to.)

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Thanks for the informed comments on the thread subject msnevil,
It's good when somone with experience can contribute to the topic.

This disease is terrible.
I know my Aunt didn't handle it well when my Grandmother couldn't even remember who she was, her own daughter.

Hopefully there will someday be a treatment as easy as just a pill to take everyday or maybe an injection.

Science is continuing to improve and continuing to indentify causes for various ailments so they may find a cure or prevention someday.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by msnevil
Just because a disease is similar to another, Does not mean it comes from the same "Cause". And it is rather simplistic to blame a disease on one "cause". Whether it be "diet", "prions" or "diabetes."

Agreed.

The human body is a complex system - and much modern disease results from a domino effect - a cascade that happens when one thing affects another, then another, and another. And just to clarify: prions are as much an effect created by other factors as they are a 'cause' - which then go on to initiate more effects in the cascade.

I can Tell you that Alz. Is more like Neurological Lupis. Then diabetes. It has a strong Genetic Link like Cancer. And has Many Variables That contribute to the causes. exp like Genetics, Viruses, Blood vessels defects, Drug induced, Down's syndrome, HIV, Heavy drinking, Cerebral Blunt Trauma, Environmental Causes Much like the "prion prophet" talks about, Thyroid, Vitamin, Etc.

Yup. It's called 'multifactorial.'

My focus on molecular and microbiology looks at what all these factors do at the protein level - because proteins are the building blocks of life, and cells. And what these factors all have in common is that they interfere with protein production for cell-building by making proteins misfold, and/or by speeding the replication process of already present misfolded proteins. The question is: why do some of these misfolded proteins become infectious, replicate, and cause more problems? - the answer is: multiple causes.

It's interesting that you mention viruses. One of my pet peeves is the false claim that infectious disease has almost been eradicated in the world. So not true. Almost guaranteed to trigger a rant.
...It's pretty clear that most common diseases involve infection as a contributing cause, usually via inflammation.

My other three pet peeves are:

2) Blaming the victims, and saying most disease results from bad personal choices. Bull puckey. Individuals can control their exposure to a few contributing factors - but our world is chock full of disease-causing contaminants that no person has any control over whatsoever. The good news is that people do have some control - the bad news is, the degree of control is nowhere near complete, but patients get blamed anyway.

3) Blaming genetics, and saying disease susceptibility is in the bloodline. More bull puckey. Most genetic susceptibilities come from genetic mutations - which are caused by environmental contaminations, including medications and exposure to medical radiation.

4) Doctors who ignore the early stages of disease, formes frustes, and chronic disease. If these fools paid attention, most disease would not happen because it would be stopped before it started. (Re: the cascade effect.) ...As you say - take care of those insulin levels! If you don't - the imbalance will trigger a cascade, and a whole new catalogue of "new" diseases.

Please Remember, Everybody No matter How healthy. Will Someday have Aged induced dementia, or worse some Cognitive Disease. There is no Cure for "Age". But you can slow it down.

Very true. Usually.

But - there is an upsurge of "age-related" disease in children and young people - with similar problems showing up in animals. More evidence that much of what's happening to our bodies and genes is waaayyy beyond any individual's ability to control.

new topics

top topics

join