It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AMOS, the advanced mortar system

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Looking at the specs of this system it ties in with something Ive been reading on some Iraqi war bloggs. Seems the US military is looking for some serious fire power that is air deployable - M1's are just to big to fly around the world. So in a world Police role - and this would necessarily require the "Urban Conflict" scenario this seem ideally suited. Presumably the Bradley Fighting Vehicle could be retro fitted or modified ?.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silk
Looking at the specs of this system it ties in with something Ive been reading on some Iraqi war bloggs. Seems the US military is looking for some serious fire power that is air deployable - M1's are just to big to fly around the world. So in a world Police role - and this would necessarily require the "Urban Conflict" scenario this seem ideally suited. Presumably the Bradley Fighting Vehicle could be retro fitted or modified ?.

Any APC or IFV can carry the turret.

And US firm AAI has allready bought a licence for AMOS.

It could very well be deployed by US military in near future.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Guess Rumsfelts moaning about rapid deployment is about to be fulfiled then -

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I think that the AMOS idea is an extremely good one. Was it the Swede's who thought of it? Or was it someone else?

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by omega1
I think that the AMOS idea is an extremely good one. Was it the Swede's who thought of it? Or was it someone else?

Patria:

AMOS is FINNISH design and product.

www.patria.fi...

The Swedish H�gglunds only made the turret, and even it was on Finnish design and order.

Please dont try to take even this from us..

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
If I were specifying the AMOS for acquisition the first thing I would do is begin development of a canister round.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
since its been some time since this has been up, and the Fulcrum's
video link doesn't seem to work.. have some from the
youtube.

AMOS mortar system

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by FULCRUM
Picture house to house fighting (mout).. friendly troops are in front of a building.. and the commander knows that the enemy force is behind that building in a another street.. and the friendly forces have with them a AMOS..

this is what they do.. elevate AMOS barrels to 89.9 degrees of angle.. put the min. charge to the 120mm mortar rounds and.. ATTENTION.. FIRE!

Multiple 120mm Rounds land 50m away in the another street, where the OPF is.. was.. now they are blasted to bits..

well i doubt they will be 50m away when 12 (that what mil.fi says) pieces of 120mm murkula (finnish term) goes off sametime. it is a srcaprel hell for at least 200m to every direction. one 120mm round has a effective impact area of about 100m, when 14 murkulas come down at the sametime 20-30 m from each other it is like a air bombing. and yes i know what it looks like when 120mm he mortar shell goes of. I was a FO in the fdf. sadly they don't train amos yet and i was not in the rd pricade. First AMOS amvs have been delivered, but they are used only by fdf personel, not by conscripts. One AMOS was send back to patria, because one of it gyros jammed, causing one round fly allmost out of firing area.

by the way amos won't be even near the troops, it sits somewhere around 2-7 km away and waits for fire orders. Amos has fring range over 10 km, so why sit in the fire when you can shoot from cover. it is a mortar, not some damn strike tank. it doesn't really have to care about close quarters, because it is behind own lines alltimes. mortars are not in the frontline, because they are sitting ducks in there. it fires and then quickly changes locatation, because after 14 simultanius rounds firing area is easily tracked by enemy. in couple minutes there will come a enemy mortar strike to that locatation.

for urban assault and mortars. total anhillation tactics. there is no use to try pinpoint strikes in block house areas. enemy can easily cover themselves to cellars and hallways. so basic tactic is to bombard areas down to street level, before our troops go in. enemy can't move in the fire hell and anyone inside building will die, when it collapses after tens of mortar rounds. quicker if we got 155mm cannons in use. nasty pieces those.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Dropping 14 rounds at the same time at the same area, that is one helluva beast. I wonder if this is gonna be tested in combat anytime soon...

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   
not by fins, but if US starts to eguip their vehicles with amos they will probably use it as soon as possible.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Or maybe we could piss off swedes enough to get a little border conflict going?

True story, I once though we were at war with Sweden. I woke up and put on the telly and there's this news report going on that says something like: "the unsuccessful peace negotiations with Sweden have ended and Mr X. negotiator was flown safely to finnish airbase with mi-17 chopper. This morning swedish armored platoons crossed the borders at multiple points penetrating deep into Finnish territory. The attack was halted at pudasjärvi where a finnish jaeger platoon was on a training camp and managed to stop the Swedish advance... ".
The report kept going on with great details of the war and with good footage of finnish forces in action. I literally started to dress up so I can go and enlist as a volunteer and I was about to call my friends to see if they're already at the fronts and how many swedes they've killed
When all this was going on I was kind of wondering that what the hell kind of newsblackout I was living in since I had no idea that we were in trouble with swedes.
Then the report ends and it turned out to be a sms game
I guess I was kind of tired or something cause I took a news report on moontv seriously

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 04:50 AM
link   
The beauty of the AMOS system lies in its versatility. It can lay down a 14 round HE barrage or it can be used to hit point targets with direct fire or it can drop 14 guided HEAT rounds on an armored convoy.

There is allso a Scaled down variant called NEMO that is in essence a single barreled variant with an unmanned turret... that might get more export attention as the price tag is significantly lower.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join