It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A whole new class of criminal...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2003 @ 12:31 AM
link   
First step, make criminals out of people who weren't before (done)

Second step, hit them with everything.

Ashcroft Reducing Plea Bargain Discretion
Mon Sep 22, 7:37 PM ET Add White House - AP Cabinet & State to My Yahoo!

By CURT ANDERSON, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Federal prosecutors were ordered Monday by Attorney General John Ashcroft (news - web sites) to pursue maximum criminal charges and sentences whenever possible and to seek lesser penalties through plea bargains only in limited circumstances.

An Ashcroft memo sent to all 94 U.S. attorneys' offices supersedes policy during former Attorney General Janet Reno (news - web sites)'s tenure that allowed prosecutors greater individual discretion to determine if the charges and potential punishment fit the crime.

Ashcroft said his intent is to bring greater consistency to criminal prosecutions around the country.

"It's a direction for the way we prosecute criminal behavior at the federal level," Ashcroft said Monday after a speech in Cincinnati. "If you violate a federal law, punishment will be uniform."

The policy change is the latest example of Ashcroft's attempts to bring greater symmetry � critics say inflexibility � to the federal justice system. During the summer Ashcroft instructed U.S. attorneys to seek the death penalty whenever applicable, overruling some who would not, and to vigorously oppose sentences imposed by judges that are lighter than recommended by federal guidelines.

news.yahoo.com.../ap/20030922/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/ashcroft_plea_bargains_4&printer=1

posted on Sep, 23 2003 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I have never seen a man so angry for losing to a dead guy in my life. He certainly takes it out on the rest of us.

posted on Sep, 23 2003 @ 01:27 AM
link   
The principle makes sense but it is all in the application.

posted on Sep, 23 2003 @ 01:36 AM
link   
dragonrider

I slipped ktprktpr a fiver for finding this quality article when he posted it here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm giving you one too.

I hope it doesn't get caught up in some Patriot Act money laundering prosecution if your ATS points assets ever get seized.

I tend to agree the principles are of value for a while. They should be used to maximize the sentences of the whole Bush admin criminal gang, before the various Acts are repealed. As well as repatriating all the assets including the ill-gotten ones of the various and sundry gang leaders, to their rightful owners, the decent citizens of the US.

posted on Sep, 23 2003 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I forgot about that, Heelstone. I do remeber tho.

Ashcroft was so vile that a dead guy was elected instead of him.

In the next election, i wonder what would happen if people started writing in the names of dead candidates?

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 03:21 AM
link   
The Biggest challenge is trying to make bad debt/credit a crime again. Our Leader "Minerval" Bush will try once again to cap bankruptcies while at the same time
continue to flood the money supply,low interest rates and induce consumption.

new topics

top topics

join