It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tracing your searches and SPAM

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Here's a wierd one.

Has anyone ever done an internet search using names or other key words only to receive SPAM in your mailbox a day or two later with the same names or keywords used in your search. It has happened to me time and time again. Although the spelling may be different by one letter or so.

Very freaky....

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Ever heard the song 'every move you make' by the police? well you have some serious infestation. you can get rid of it only by reformating your hard drive

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
There is no infestation on my PC. I am behind a firewall, have spybot, ad-aware, McAfee AV, webroot, etc...

I'm simply making a comment about the syncronicity of these types of events. Just curious if anyone else has experienced the same. This is not a virus thing. It's as if someone knows what I typed into Google and spits parts of it back to me in a SPAM mail as the subject.

Perhaps, its my over-active imagination making a link when there is no link.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freenrgy2
It's as if someone knows what I typed into Google....

Ummmm...well they do!

It's called < removed name >.

Just listen to the news in the next couple of months and learn more about it as the world finds out.

It is a little script-let that runs on your computer (reg) takes no resources, so its tough to even see its runnning, and it simply reports every keystroke that you keyboard makes back to the company that placed it on your hard drive.

As of now, harmless, wait until bad people get ahold of it and grab your passwords and what not.

This script-let will never change your homepage or give pop ups like spy-ware, so again you never know it's there.

- One Man Short ®

(edit to remove name of software, do not have permission of company to use it.)

[edit on 28-11-2005 by One Man Short of Manhood]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
This is why you shouldn't use autofills and shouldn't have mail and news as an automatic login from your browser and why you shouldn't use Outlook for email.

Seriously.

It's a pretty simple matter for webgeeks like myself to read cookie information in a legal manner (not hacking anything). If you're an unethical webgeek, you can scrape off a bunch of cookies info provided by the browser itself and then sell that to the spammers. Or you can program your own spam server to blast it to the victims.

I cruise Internet with very tight controls and don't allow java or videos to run automatically. It's a pain on some sites but it protects information.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by One Man Short of Manhood

Ummmm...well they do!

It's called < removed name >.

Just listen to the news in the next couple of months and learn more about it as the world finds out.

It is a little script-let that runs on your computer (reg) takes no resources, so its tough to even see its runnning, and it simply reports every keystroke that you keyboard makes back to the company that placed it on your hard drive.

As of now, harmless, wait until bad people get ahold of it and grab your passwords and what not.

This script-let will never change your homepage or give pop ups like spy-ware, so again you never know it's there.

- One Man Short ®

(edit to remove name of software, do not have permission of company to use it.)

Errr ummm One Man since when do you have to have a companies permission to mention its name?

top topics

join