It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The definitive answere to the Invincible Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
On a previous thread that is locked, there were those amongst you who believed and stated that our beloved Flagship HMS Invincible had been sunk by Argentina during one of the shortest wars in history.

I am referring to the 6 month campaign to recapture the Falkland Islands way back in 1982.

I for one, never take things at face value. After all, serving Naval personnel notwithstanding, if you throw enough mud, eventually some of it will stick.

I have dredged through all the archives I can find about that small campaign and have to report that indeed HMS Invisible did indeed survive the Falkland Island campaign.

Indeed, below is the last piece of info I came across. It is from the Royal Navy's website. Of course they could be biased............................

The present Invincible is the sixth ship of the Royal Navy to bear the name and the first of the Invincible Class of Anti-Submarine Warfare Carriers was laid down at the Barrow-in-Furness yard of Vickers Shipbuilders Limited in July 1973 and was launched by Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II on 3 May 1977.

After 3 commissions Invincible was decommissioned from her third in August 2005, as her period of operational tasking ended. This is part of a long-standing plan that will see the oldest CVS held at a low level of readiness. This process is often mistaken for being withdrawn from service but we are still very much “part of the fleet”. In fact Invincible will remain available to the Navy until 2010. This again forms part of a long-term plan to assist with the introduction of the new CVF Aircraft Carriers, HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince Of Wales from 2012 onwards.

I hope that clears up any doubts our friends from Argentina might still have about their inability to sink her.

M6D

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Bravo! i got three warnings in that thread....it pissed me off so much

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
YEAH DAWGS - NOT AGAIN - PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!

the argentine conspiracists didnt believe ANYTHING entered in evidence last time - and produced NOTHING themselves worthy of any note -

so why are you re opening old wounds ????????

anyone who believes that vince was sunk - should be turned over to 41 cmdo and stripped naked for a swift kick in the head

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Why am I opening old wounds?

Because I am ENGLISH and proud of it.

What's more, I cannot stand anybody slagging us off and making false claims on the basis that we kicked their collective bottoms, therefore they must resort to utterly ridiculous assertions that HMS Invincible was sunk when clearly she is now in mothballs.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
Why am I opening old wounds?

Because I am ENGLISH and proud of it.

What's more, I cannot stand anybody slagging us off and making false claims on the basis that we kicked their collective bottoms, therefore they must resort to utterly ridiculous assertions that HMS Invincible was sunk when clearly she is now in mothballs.

Howdie,
[rant]
I kinda want to point out some thing, there is one thing that really pisses me off, its that the "English" fought here and there and they won such and such a thing etc. The last I heard the english was part of the british empire, along with the scots, the irish and welsh, do they not deserve to be recognised. The Irish were there not to mention the scots and the welsh, not long serving on the carrier but on the ground as well.

Should you not be proud to be British?
[/rant]
- Phil

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Hey Goose. No slight intended.

It's just that we English have no been lumped together with everyone else on this sceptered isle and we have no longer retained our identity.

The Scots are referred to as Scots and rightly so;

The Welsh are referred to as Welsh and rightly so

The Irish are referred to as Irish and rightly so - but we English are more often than not, referred to as being British. (As is anybody else who has won curling at the Olympics, rubgy or whatever)

I was referring to we English being English and not being British. That was all!

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Hey Goose. No slight intended.

It's just that we English have no been lumped together with everyone else on this sceptered isle and we have no longer retained our identity.

The Scots are referred to as Scots and rightly so;

The Welsh are referred to as Welsh and rightly so

The Irish are referred to as Irish and rightly so - but we English are more often than not, referred to as being British. (As is anybody else who has won curling at the Olympics, rubgy or whatever)

I was referring to we English being English and not being British. That was all!

I can see you point, I appologise for my rather agressive post, but I have had some experience when it comes to this problem and its a pet hate of mine and of my colleagues.

I always remember the quote or statement:

Irish by birth, British by the Grace of God.
or
Scottish by birth, Bri... etc

No ill will,
- Phil

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
No offence taken my friend, I am now a peace loving NinjaKittyflea hoarding widdle orange ginger marmalade KittyKat and I share your sentiments entirely.

M6D

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
But you know :p i am actually quite suprised by the ammount of brits on this site :p yes, thats right boys, political correctness here, brits :p

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Look M6D. For the last time, this thread was, sorry is about HMS Invisible and not whether I am British. Or not!

Just for the record, I am a
Londoner, living and working in Gloucester.
I am
ENGLISH, not British. British refers to people living within Great Britain or the British Isles.

Great Britain used to be a loose collection of 4 countries: Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England.

Nowhere in that collection of countries is a country called Britain. If you can identify a 'Britain' in those 4 countries, you will be rewarded with 1st Prize.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Did the English Army fight in the Falklands, or the British Army?

(With the Ghurkas as honorary Brits, coming from the British not English empire...)

Next you'll be claiming you're not European

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritzNowhere in that collection of countries is a country called Britain. If you can identify a 'Britain' in those 4 countries, you will be rewarded with 1st Prize.

Yes I know. Here over the pond in the States we have people called Yankees. I challenge you to find Yankland or Yankeville. There's no such place, and yet, we still have Yankees amoung us. Go figure.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Nowhere in that collection of countries is a country called Britain. If you can identify a 'Britain' in those 4 countries, you will be rewarded with 1st Prize.

I do believe the official name is:

conventional long form: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; note - Great Britain includes England, Scotland, and Wales
conventional short form: United Kingdom
abbreviation: UK

www.cia.gov...

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
I do believe the official name is:

I do believe that the people actually living in the country define what it is called...not the CIA....if he wants to call it britain its his right...

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
QUOTE : "I do believe that the people actually living in the country define what it is called..."

in which case , i hereby rename this place :

< drum roll >

"penisland - yup thats right pen island , for the pen is indeed mighter than the sword , at a pinch the penish isles would be used in informal circles "

thank you and good night

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
QUOTE : "I do believe that the people actually living in the country define what it is called..."

in which case , i hereby rename this place :

< drum roll >

"penisland - yup thats right pen island , for the pen is indeed mighter than the sword , at a pinch the penish isles would be used in informal circles "

thank you and good night

Well mate you want to call it that go ahead, I'll stick to britain myself.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Hey dbates.

I thought anyone north of the Mason-Dixie Line was a Yankee, much the same in London where anybody north of the Thames is a Northerner.

My thanks goes to Harlequin who has correctly identified England as being a country within Great Britain.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

On a previous thread that is locked, there were those amongst you who believed and stated that our beloved Flagship HMS Invincible had been sunk by Argentina during one of the shortest wars in history.

I have dredged through all the archives I can find about that small campaign and have to report that indeed HMS Invisible did indeed survive the Falkland Island campaign.

I hope that clears up any doubts our friends from Argentina might still have about their inability to sink her.

Fritz,

I too was struck by the way these Eastern Chileans kept resisting the bleeding obvious using blurred photos to try and claim a carrier was sunk, a £350m aircraft carrier was summoned out of thin air and all the crew replaced with exact lookalikes, so good they fooled wives, girlfriends, mums, dads, brothers, uncles, aunts, kids, brothers, sisters, doctors and dentists!

But to put it to bed once and for lets use some good quality Photos to disprove this idea that Illustrious, Ark Royal or an American built clone sailed back to Portsmouth on 17th September 1982!

Exhibit A by the Conspiracy Theorists: Invincible before the War

Exhibit B by the Conspiracy Theorists: Invincible After the War

Exhibit C by the Conspiracy Theorists:phalanx system base

But a simple look at better resolution photos and different angles and the whole Conspiracy crumbles....

Invincible returning to Portsmouth 17th Sept 1982 sans any phalanx, but including a crane!

front shot

Back shot

Two Invincible class carriers August 1982

And finally a bit of Argie Fakery

But alas for them, the Original Photo is quite well know and distributed

new topics

top topics

join