It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Firm to Fight Somali Pirates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
In an announcement today, the Somali Government has signed a contract with US based company Topcat Marine Security to tackle the pirate threat off it's coast. The company is also expected to provide equipment and trainign to Somalia's Coast Guard and Special Forces. There is also specualtion they will help the Government set up five Navl Bases along the coast.

news.bbc.co.uk
A US company has been given a two-year contract to help fight piracy off the Somalia coast - seen as among the world's most dangerous waters.
The $50m contract has been awarded by Somalia's transitional government.

Topcat Marine Security will target the "mother ship" launching pirate ships from the open sea, said the firm's Peter Casini.

Earlier this month, pirates fired rocket-propelled grenades at a US-based luxury cruise liner.

There have been 32 pirate attacks off the Somali coast since March this year, according to the International Maritime Board.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

An interesting development indeed. It is interesting to note that the contract involves training the local Coast Guard and Special Forces. I find this odd, as I thought Somalia barely had a functioning central Government, let alone any sort of structured military.

The company also stated that they believe the pirates to be operating from a "Mothership", which is situated off the coast at about 75-100 miles. They're goal is to capture this mothership which should dramtically reduce piracy.

That is the plan anyway.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 26/11/05 by stumason]

[edit on 11/26/05 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Well, I guess anything is a start. Someone has to do something and I guess it couldn't hurt to have Somalia involved. Somehow, I'm not particularly optimistic about this. I think dealing with this problem through the private sector is the best way to avoid all the problems that would result from military involvement from the countries concerned. Personally, I think that if the "mothership" is operating on the high seas, anybody's navy would be justified to blow it out of the water.

[edit on 2005/11/26 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

join