It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian Military history before and after 1979 revolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Hey guys,

Due to "new Iranian Military Uniforms: Amazing" topic I found a very interesting website/link which you can compare some things before and after the islamic revolution in 1979.

www.parasteshlite.com...

During the Shah's regime Iran was one of the best U.S. allied.
The F-14 Tomcat was the best jetfighter in the 70s and the US did not sell it to anyone even not to the British who were interested in the F-14.
Countries like Spain, The Netherlands, Italy, Turkey, Brazil and Canada showed interest in the F-14 without any success.

The only person who could buy them was the former Iranian King. Even today after the F-14 retirement only two countries have F-14: USA and Iran.

After the revolution some 500 till 600 high ranked military officers were executed by islamic courts.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Also, I think you'll find that the UK's Challenger tank was produced for the Shah.....unfortunately the mullahs but the end to that..... (turned out quite well in the end with the UK having the Challenger)

Spacemunkey

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I did not know that (regarding the tomcats).

Yeah, almost the entire Iranian military got purged when the revolution occured, soon after that Saddam saw how Iran was weakening and went for it and somehow the Iranians managed to keep Saddam at bay for over 8 years.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Yes indeed "Spacemonkey", even the Challenger was a project before the revolution.

Saddam saw a big opportunity to capture Khuzestan province for its oil, but the somehow their invasion was not successful.

top topics

join