It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia´s Glowing Meat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
A man in Australia discovered that his pork chops were glowing in the dark and called Sydney radio about it. It turns out the Food Authority receives phone calls all the time from people who has discovered glow-in-the-dark meat. The Food Authority claim the glowing is caused by a harmless light-emitting bacteria and is "nothing to worry about". However, they recommend throwing the meat away...

Canada.com: Australian food officials caution consumers about glowing meats

An Australian food agency sought Wednesday to quell fears about glow-in-the-dark meats after a man called a Sydney radio station alarmed about his luminous pork chops. The New South Wales state Food Authority said the phenomenon was caused by a harmless light-emitting bacteria, pseudomonas fluorescens, that is naturally present in most meats and fish.

"While most of us would understandably be shocked to see our food glowing, it is important to remember that the microorganism responsible for the glow is not known to cause food poisoning," the authority's director general, George Davey, said in a statement.

While the bacteria is harmless to humans, it spreads quickly on meat that is starting to spoil, said the food agency, which recommends disposing of glowing meats.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I don´t care what they say. If the meat is glowing in the dark, I´m not eating any of it. When I hear of stuff glowing in the dark, radioactivity is the first that comes to mind. If this so-called bacteria is really "harmless", why should we throw the meat away?

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I guess because the bacteria itself is harmless, but its presence in large amounts indicates that the meat may be beginning to spoil.

Zip

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
LOL

Interesting that a Canadian site is reporting this. I've heard nothing about this in Australia at all

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
If it bothers you that it is from a newspaper in Canada, then here is a story from the motherlands BBC.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Reminds me of a story about a Three Mile Island worker and his glowing knuckles. Happened back in the late 70's. I have to run now, but I will tell that story in here sometime soon.

- One Man Short

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I dont think it bothers rogue1 that its from a Canadian source. Rather, that here in Australia there hasn't been any mention of it on a news source. Other than the radio interview guy that was called up i presume, which i certainly didn't hear.

Rather freaky though. Makes me wanna turn the lights off before i dig into those pork chops next time.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   
ok this is definately the first I've heard of this in Australia........

I wonder which radio station they called?

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot
I guess because the bacteria itself is harmless, but its presence in large amounts indicates that the meat may be beginning to spoil.

Zip

Exactly, if there are many glowing bacteria, there is probably also 'normal' food poisoning bacteria in the food.

The glowing bacteria themselves are (after what we know) not causing food posioning, so they are quite safe to eat.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Glowing bacteria aren't too uncommon, never heard of them in food, radiated food (used to sterilize) isn't going to glow, and a simple geiger-counter would show if it was radioactive. They probably said to throw it out because its covered in yucky bacteria.

Any Ozians here need to start turning the lights off at dinner time to check, take a photo, and let us all see it!

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Eh, I don't really have a problem with it. I'd certainly be wary, and try and test it myself, but if they're harmless they're harmless. There's tons of bacteria on our food anyway, these just make it look cool under dim lights.

Ruins the mood, I bet.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I bet it looks cool at the nightclubs with UV-lights

I wonder why this is not in Australian media...

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
'Glow in the dark' pork chops

Shining steak, anyone?

It has been covered in the news here, but just been overshadowed by a lot of the "bigger" stories happening at the moment.

EDIT: Don't you love the diversity of news sources these days?

[edit on 22/11/2005 by 4for4]

top topics

join