It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sins?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Question; do you believe all sins are created equal??? Well are they?

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Its usually a good idea, when presenting a question like that, to also give your own take on it.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaimless

Even the smallest most minor sin, has the same concequance as the most major sin... eternal death seperated from God

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
No turning back?
Thats it? Thats not a fun way of looking at things now is it.

Originally posted by Jehosephat

Even the smallest most minor sin, has the same concequance as the most major sin... eternal death seperated from God

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Its usually a good idea, when presenting a question like that, to also give your own take on it.

Ok, this is what I understand about sins. Whether its murder or pick pocketing, whether its adultry or lust, that a sin is a sin. Now I do understand how they all are equal. I guess what I don't understand is how the Christian folks differ them (and they do). I find myself amused when thinking that how Christians react when some killer gives his life to the Lord (in is last few moments of life) and their rightous indignation cannot comprehend that the killer may end up in heaven with them. Yet half there church can commit adultry and that fairly ok.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by japike
No turning back?
Thats it? Thats not a fun way of looking at things now is it.

Who said anything about not turning back?

I answered the question...but what most every Christian knows that sins can be forgiven, that is the whole reason why Jesus is the Savior and why he had to pay for all of our sins with his innocent death

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   

People rate sins on a scale of bad to worst, so we can make ourself feel and look better than someone we believe has committed a "worse" sin. God doesn't do that, any sin seperates and keeps us from God.

Different sins have different consequences though.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I suppose that depends on what the meaning of "sin" is.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
People rate sins on a scale of bad to worst, so we can make ourself feel and look better than someone we believe has committed a "worse" sin.
Just like the idea of some being saved while others are not. Why do you persist on limiting God's perfect righteousness only to those ideas that uphold your beliefs?

Like what?

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The only sin that is differant then any other sin, is a sin against the holy spirit. For it an unforgivable sin.

Mark 3:28-29 I tell you the truth, all the sins and blasphemies of men will be forgiven them. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin."

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

People rate sins on a scale of bad to worst, so we can make ourself feel and look better than someone we believe has committed a "worse" sin.
Just like the idea of some being saved while others are not. Why do you persist on limiting God's perfect righteousness only to those ideas that uphold your beliefs?

Like what?

The idea of some are saved while others are not is what God tells us in the Bible. There are too many verses that tell us this. And the ones who will not enter eternal life have chosen this way. If a person rejects Christ and dies that way they are unsaved.

different sins, different consequences:
If someone destroys property and gets caught the judge may have them repay the owner for the damages they caused. Once it is repaid they are done with the consequences for their actions(reputation is stained though).

If someone goes to prostitutes and contracts AIDS then they will have that for the rest of their life and could have their life prematurely ended.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Why is everybody taking this as a Christian thing only? Arent their sins in other religions and do they all have to end up in hell ? I think it is safe to say that the Jews, Christians and the Muslims have a similar sense of "Sin" But what of the say, Buddhists or the Hindus ??
They believe in Karma, isnt that something of the same kind as "sin" in our faith?
But apparently, their is no such thing as the devil or somesuch for them, it is more individual choice or individual "devilry" that they consider as the sign of sin.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Like what?

You didn't answer this question...

different sins, different consequences:
If someone destroys property and gets caught the judge may have them repay the owner for the damages they caused. Once it is repaid they are done with the consequences for their actions(reputation is stained though).

This has no application to the idea of human sin and divine pardon — regardless of the original ‘stain’ the washing results in a purity that is ‘white as snow.’ It is true that once repaid, consequences are complete…and there was one instance of repayment that is universal and both retroactive and proactive (in regard to when a soul is born in relation to the time of the actual repayment being made):

Hebrews 7:25-27:

Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them. For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.

------------------------

Hebrews 9:12:

Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

------------------------

Hebrews 9:25-28:

Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others; For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

------------------------

Hebrews 10:10-12:

By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

Once for all, eternally in effect.

If someone goes to prostitutes and contracts AIDS then they will have that for the rest of their life and could have their life prematurely ended.

So...if someone contracts AIDS in another (very possible and proven) way...some way that isn't the direct consequence of some 'sinful' behavior (such as negligence of health care workers or any number of other things)...

How does the same cause of premature death in two different people due to two different situations--one being from their own 'sin' and the other from the 'sin' of another--result in one being decreed as a fair recipient of the due consequences of sin while the other one is perhaps a victim of the ironic injustice of mundane circumstances?

The idea of some are saved while others are not is what God tells us in the Bible. There are too many verses that tell us this.

Then I'm sure you are prepared to provide a list of references, for our perusal?

Romans 11:29-36
For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:
Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.
For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?
Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?
For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

To claim salvation based on 'belief' is false -- it plainly says that God has not allowed all to 'believe' -- for the express purpose of having mercy on all of us. No one is more deserving, or less, of salvation, based upon whether or not they have hope in the possibility of being rescued.

'Faith' is not belief -- 'hope' is belief. 'Faith' is a trust -- both given and performed. The faith that saves us is not our own individual ability to believe but rather the fulfillment of the trust given by God to Israel yet fulfilled by only one of that number -- through obedience to God's will He went to His death in order to demonstrate the true essence of life -- for the benefit of us all -- not just some of us. Some of us have a certain hope -- but not all of us have been entrusted to 'keep the faith' -- and 'we will not all sleep but we will all be changed.'

And the ones who will not enter eternal life have chosen this way. If a person rejects Christ and dies that way they are unsaved.
The way to eternal life is to believe in the truth of the resurrection--to believe on the name of Christ as the Son of the Living God is to place hope in God to do for us as He did for Christ--because He has said that He will. Whomever doesn't believe that life is not bound by material creation is 'already condemned' because we are all born into the inescapable (by our own human means, that is) cycle of the carbon-based life cycle (certain death on the individual level yet eternal life on the highest level of the whole). One must believe that Christ rose from the dead in order to know there is a doorway to go through rather than a hole to fill.

The bad thing is that the truth of the resurrection has been polluted by religion (mainly Christianity) and obscured by dogmatic teachings on selective salvation by a man-made god who plays favorites and is petty and unfair—who lacks even the power or sense of responsibility that goes along with the ability to create life. If God created life, then He is faithful to that which He created. He did not create anything in vain, nor did He make politician’s promises in order to build our hopes up for naught, like a card house build inside a prison cell.

And so, the overall idea that Christianity presents as ‘officially’ of God is generally accepted by the world, based on the assumed authority of a title (not a name), is something which has done damage to the credibility of the fundamental truth of the Gospel. It is hard enough, at best, to put one’s mind around the idea of life not being contained by organic systems and limited by a finite span of physical function; add to that the inconsistent, exclusively benevolent, and contradictory message presented by religious churchianity as the ‘truth of God’ and it becomes nearly impossible to give the idea of the resurrection any serious consideration at all.

By ensconcing the precious truth in a whole bunch of tangled-up mythical confusion, the truth has quite effectively been cast to the ground and trampled upon for centuries – up and down the aisles of our respective local religious institutions.

[edit on 11/21/2005 by queenannie38]

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Like what?

You didn't answer this question...

Yah I did. Any sin seperates someone from God and one sin is enough to spend eternity seperated from God.(But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name John 1:12) Sins are removed by faith in Christ and what He accomplished .

My example answered the question.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Yet half there church can commit adultry and that fairly ok.

It's nice to know that you are ok with adultry. Now, if it is not too much to ask, please keep your church away from my wife. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

It's nice to know that you are ok with adultry. Now, if it is not too much to ask, please keep your church away from my wife. Thanks.

I believe what he meant was:

"Half the church can commit adultery, and to them it is fairly ok, in comparison with killing."

[edit on 22/11/2005 by AkashicWanderer]

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AkashicWanderer

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

I believe what he meant was:

"Half the church can commit adultery, and to them it is fairly ok, in comparison with killing."

I understood what was meant, just presenting some sarcastic humor.

Seriously:

Why permit how you personally judge the actions and behaviors of others to deminish the meaning of the message of their respected faiths?

Sins will be judged by the one who committed them when their brains re-assess all they have experienced, and "defrag" their neuro-net, and discover that assumptions were made when the information was percieved as not being available.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Sorry bout that. I guess I should give some outakes or something. Has anyone read Dante's Inferno? Where people of different sins live at different levels of hell and of heaven? Personally I believe that all sins are created equal, that we were born into sin and will die into sin itself. What do I beleive is a sin, simple, lack of love.

[edit on 8-8-2006 by Zaimless]

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Is it "sin" or "sins"?

All mankind is guilty of one single SIN, which is UNbelief. An unbeliever is one who shall die in his or her sins, true, but this is because they have died rejecting Christ. This is the "unpardonable" sin which Jesus speaks of in Matthew 12.

Every Believer, before the foundation of the earth, has already been chosen by God the Father for this is pleasing to Him.

Judas, before he was a thought in his mothers mind, was predestined to betray the Messiah. Jesus knew of this as he thinned out His disciples in John 6. He tells them

John 6:65
65 And He was saying, "For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father."

And -

John 6:70-71
70 Jesus answered them, "Did I Myself not choose you, the twelve, and yet one of you is a devil?"

71 Now He meant Judas the son of Simon Iscariot, for he, one of the twelve, was going to betray Him.

It is stated clearly in Scripture that we, as sinful people, do not choose God, we do not seek after Him. Rather He calls us, He chooses us and gives us faith to believe.

top topics

join