It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finnish F/A-18 gets uppgraded

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Just tought that you were interested...

The Finnish F/A-18 C/D will get uppgradedwith Raytheon new missile system the AIM-9X before 2012 The Finnish air-force will buy 150 of the new missiles, and training shots. After that the Finnish air-force will buy "HUD" or Head up display to the Finnish pilots, wich will give the pilots better skills in close combat, due the fact that the HUD gices the chanse to the pilot to engage, and destroy enemy targets only by looking a them.

General link about the AIM-9X missile system

Feel free to post any comments...

[edit on 18-11-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
the almighty aim9x! what a wonderful weapon. we make parts for the cooling system for the infrared seeker. Raytheon showed us some footage of tests they've done with it and it just blows me away. the manueverability of that missile is amazing. I'll have to see if I still have it on one of my servers. They showed us the launching plane going head on with the QF-4 (aka f4- phantom) and firing right after going by. the missile did an immediate about face and killed the QF-4 about a second later. absolutley amazing.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
That's cool!!!!

Good to know that the Generals and leaders in my antions army didn't amke a bad chise when they chose the AIM missile... Exellent... Do you ahve any indo about the "HUD"... How well does it actually work...??

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
not familiar with the HUD but I do know they are pretty damn adament about having that aim9x work every time. they were at our plant because they were trying to trace down a material problem with the parts we make. in a part that's only supposed to run for less than 60 seconds.....

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The HUD is what's in the front of the cockpit that sticks up and is standard on all fighters. What you're talking about sounds more like the Helmet Mounted Sight. I haven't heard a lot of details because I believe it's still in the testing stages, but from what I've heard about it it works pretty good.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
The HUD is what's in the front of the cockpit that sticks up and is standard on all fighters. What you're talking about sounds more like the Helmet Mounted Sight. I haven't heard a lot of details because I believe it's still in the testing stages, but from what I've heard about it it works pretty good.

I realized what a HUD was, but I also realized he was talking about the targeting system, not just the standard HUD. Cut him a bit of slack, he's finnish

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I am cutting him some slack, and trying to make sure that OTHERS realize whta he is talking about.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Fighter Master Fin, is Finland in NATO? I was under the impression that Norway and Denmark were the only Scandinavian countries in NATO. But anyhow, that is awesome, I have always been a big fan of the F-18, incredible aircraft isnt it. Best of luck to your nations airforce.

P.S.- Can anyone tell me where to get a good avatar? Thanks.

[edit on 11/18/2005 by ludaChris]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
You are correct, Finland isn't in NATO.

Here are the NATO member countries: www.nato.int...

As far as the avatar, check out this forum, several great artistic members offer avatars:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
Fighter Master Fin, is Finland in NATO? I was under the impression that Norway and Denmark were the only Scandinavian countries in NATO. But anyhow, that is awesome, I have always been a big fan of the F-18, incredible aircraft isnt it. Best of luck to your nations airforce.

P.S.- Can anyone tell me where to get a good avatar? Thanks.

[edit on 11/18/2005 by ludaChris]

No Finland Isn't in Nato... Not at the moment at least, but there is some clear indications that we are going to join the defense organisaton soon... One indication is that even more and more poples here seem to accept it, and an other indication is that the army buys stuf that NATO countries use, For instance F/A-18, andP anther tanks... I believe that we will join NATO, but the politics say that it can't be happened untill 2012...

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Thanks guys...
Honestly...
yeah I was talking about the helmet mounted HUD...

Something like this...

top topics

join