It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony recalls copy-protected music CDs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
As you may know, Sony recently released new CDs that installed software that prevented users from copying their media. Turns out the software acts like a virus and hides deep inside a computer. Around 4.7 million music CDs were created with this software, and around 2.1 million have already been sold to customers

www.msnbc.msn.com
Music company Sony BMG, yielding to consumer concern, said on Wednesday it was recalling music CDs containing copy-protection software that acts like virus software and hides deep inside a computer.

Sony BMG has used the XCP copy-protection software on 49 titles from artists such as Celine Dion and Sarah McLachlan and produced an estimated 4.7 million music CDs. Around 2.1 million units have been sold on to consumers.

The software, developed by British software makers First4Internet, installs itself on a personal computer used to play the CD in order to guard against copying, but it leaves the back door open for malicious hackers.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Sounds to me like First4Internet might have a lawsuit on their hands. I wonder if this was intentional? If not, how can this just slip through the cracks? First4Internet must not have a good QC team. I'm not sure what the advantage would be to First4Internet/Sony when putting a virus on a cd that jeopardizes computer security.

[edit on 17-11-2005 by noslenwerd]

[edit on 20-11-2005 by asala]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Sony knew what their actions would do, however the problem with such a case is they will never pay and won't be forced to pay.

In European and United States law their is a massive loop hole. When someone is sued they are sued on the assets that they have. To stop this from harming the company the department in the U.S, U.K, et al Nation's do not have any assets.

So basically you sue, they will loose, will be told to 'pay' but they have nothing to pay with. The only way to win is to sue them and do it in a Nation's courts where they have assets. But how many people even know about this loop hole other than top level lawyers? The only reason I do is because one of my best friends at the law firm I work for let me know...

Sony knew what their actions would do, they know how it'll harm their company image but who can stop them? They are growing and growing and if things keep on going the way they are the Government/Courts will not be able to force them to do anythin'.

As for the virus? I'd bet they did it on purpose and it has gone onto more machines than Sony even hoped for through the use of P2P networks. Just hope it easily gets fixed or the Court's bother to really punish Sony.

new topics

join