It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

83,000 suspects detained in the War on Terror

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

The United States has detained more than 83,000 foreigners in the four years of the war on terror, enough to nearly fill the NFL's largest stadium. The administration defends the practice of holding detainees in prisons from Afghanistan to Guantanamo Bay as a critical tool to stop the insurgency in Iraq, maintain stability in Afghanistan and get known and suspected terrorists off the streets.

Roughly 14,500 detainees remain in U.S. custody, primarily in Iraq.

The number has steadily grown since the first CIA paramilitary officers touched down in Afghanistan in the fall of 2001, setting up more than 20 facilities including the "Salt Pit," an abandoned factory outside Kabul used for CIA detention and interrogation.

In Iraq, the number in military custody hit a peak on Nov. 1, according to military figures. Nearly 13,900 suspects were in U.S. custody there that day _ partly because U.S. offensives in western Iraq put pressure on insurgents before the October constitutional referendum and December parliamentary elections.

The detentions and interrogations have brought complaints from Congress and human-rights groups about how the detainees _ often Arab and male _ are treated.

dats alot of people but then with just Iraq alone about 15,000 in Iraq alone. wonder where the others come from besides Afghanistan.

mod edit to use external quote code

[edit on 14-1-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Wow if thats true information id not only like to know where there from but where there kept !

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Funny word, that, "detainee". Noboby likes being 'detained' but you get going, make your apologies for being late and forget about it.

In Australia, 'detainees' are 'asylum seekers' who failed to cross all their 'T's' and dot all their 'I's' when applying for asylum. They can be detained behind razor wire, in the desert, separated from friends and loved ones, with no idea of when they can join the community or be sent out of the country, for YEARS, even if they're children.

Like people the U.S. 'suspects' of having 'terror links', both these groups of 'detainees' would be much better off if they were prisoners.

Kill someone and you can be out on bail and if convicted, a 'wrist slap' sentance.

Hang out with someone you didn't know someone else reported as being a 'possible' terrorist, and you could be 'detained' for years.

So the 68,500 no longer 'detained', where are they now, how long were they 'detained' and were they found to be innocent.

I just think it would be nice to know all the odds should I ever be 'detained' for not being able to readily, and to their satisfaction, prove I'm innocent of any suspisions.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I'm surprised that among all the, "don't worry about losing your freedom", propaganda merchants on ATS, no one has bothered to answer my question in the above post.

Isn't there some way of 'spinning' these numbers and the current fates of these people, to allay the concerns of the people "they" call 'paraniod'.

I believe, if the stories of what two detainees (on an SBS doco.) endured for years, before being released, uncharged, did happen, and have been repeated anywhere in the world, all those "don't worry" people should be reguarded with extreem suspicion.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The ones who think things are impossible are the ones who will fight to keep things as they are. They will be the ones who will always and forever side with the govt. no matter WHAT happens or WHAT they can be shown or told. Its a form of self denial out of fear, and also out of cowardness.
As for the detained:
There is probably more than they would like to announce and to many to be counted because its hard to find them. I would suspect there is more americans detained than foreign right about now. The govt. paranoia is astounding and there will to take out anyone who might callenge them is well known.
But as I have asked other people is:
What are you going to do about?

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I wonder if this thread would have got more than 3 posters in one month, if it was titled, "Americans, Brits. and Australians among 83,000 imprisoned and tortured for years without charge, by U.S.A." ?

new topics

top topics

join