It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Fossils Reveal 125 Million Year-Old Real-Life Sea Monster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Researchers have discovered a fossil in the Pacific Ocean that is thought to be from 135 million years ago. The fossil belongs to what researchers say is a completely new species of marine crocodile. It is believed that this is the oldest crocodile species ever discovered.

news.nationalgeographic.com
The creature's almost intact, 135-million-year-old skull was found in 1996 in Argentina's Neuquén Basin, a region that was once a deep tropical bay of the Pacific Ocean. Prior to the find, researchers had only sketchy fossil evidence of the fearsome sea monster.

Named Dakosaurus andiniensis, the creature is an entirely new species of ancient crocodile. It had a head like a carnivorous dinosaur and a tail like a fish. With its massive jaws and serrated teeth, it preyed on other marine reptiles.

Totally unique among marine crocodiles, "it is one of the most evolved members of the crocodilian family and also one of the most bizarre," said Diego Pol, a paleontologist at Ohio State University in Columbus, who served on the research team.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a pretty exciting discovery considering how far it dates back, and the fact that it is now the oldest crocodile-like fossil ever found. This crocodile was also was believed to have of lived completely underwater, unlike todays crocs.

[edit on 10-11-2005 by noslenwerd]

[edit on 10-11-2005 by noslenwerd]

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I still doen't hold a candle to the Kronosaurus

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Kronosaurus

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Completely in water, not under-water. Still an airbreather. Good find tho.
I think that one of the interetsting things is that its been sitting in storage and preparation for nearly a decade! I know that these sorts of things happne, but still, dang.

new topics

top topics

join