It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students may be required to take Spanish

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I guess this is what no offical language brings...

LEE COUNTY— A proposal in Tallahassee is causing a stir in schools in Southwest Florida. The state's top democrat is supporting a plan to make Spanish classes mandatory for all students in kindergarten through second grade, just like English or Math.

The youngest students in Southwest Florida's public school system could soon be saying hola to a new language. A proposed law would make Spanish mandatory for students in kindergarten through second grade.

link

It’s about time this became mandatory! Now perhaps English only call center employees can make as much as they’re Mexican counter parts….

[edit on 10-11-2005 by CogitoErgoSum1]

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
This is very interesting here in GA father north than Florida
Spanish is part of the curriculum and a required subject.

I am very surprise to know that Florida is not when Cuban community in Florida is so big.

Funny.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
in 40 more years the majority of Americans will be Hispanic anyways.

Texas, Hawaii, California and New Mexico have a majority ethnic population, Lopez said. By 2050, the United States will have 102.6 million U.S.-born and documented Hispanics, who will compose 25 percent of the U.S. population, Lopez said

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Once upon a time, it was mandatory to learn the language of a country you planned on emigrating to.

Whatever happened to that? I had 6 years of Spanish and one year of French because I felt like it (I went to school in the Detroit area).

If anything, English-as-Second-Language should be mandatory for immigrants who can't sling the lingo!

That's a huge insult, to be required to learn the language of someone who wasn't even born here!
I say English should be America's official language!

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I support more foreign language classes being available at earlier ages, but why only Spanish? It sounds like were cowtowing to the immigrants -- learning their language instead of making them learn ours...

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I support more foreign language classes being available at earlier ages, but why only Spanish? It sounds like were cowtowing to the immigrants -- learning their language instead of making them learn ours...

So we can tell illegal aliens in Spanish, "Welcome to America--NOW GO HOME!"
(Most of them come from Mexico, so that's why I said Spanish.)

Seriously, though, that's pretty much what I was trying to say. That's like moving to Russia and demanding all Russians learn English.

In order to live here, you should be here legally, and you should learn English. And you should pass a health inspection.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I just dont understand why we are REQUIRED to take spanish. We live here, the ones who speak english. We are not moving to their country,,why should we learn to speak their languange. Should it be required they learn to speak Enlish if coming to America?

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Skip the spanish..
The next "important" hot language will be
Mandarin Chinese...
That is, if we keep shopping at Wal-Mart...(China's biggest Ally)

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by brodband
I just dont understand why we are REQUIRED to take spanish. We live here, the ones who speak english. We are not moving to their country,,why should we learn to speak their languange. Should it be required they learn to speak Enlish if coming to America?

My understanding is it USED to be required. I don't know what happened there.

This "diversity and inclusion" crap is for the birds. America is supposed to be a melting pot, not a clump here and a clump there.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
When you don’t have an official language, your official language is what accommodation makes.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
But wait, there's more! I read in the Chicago Tribune last week that there's a plan in California to change the format of the schools. Instead of speaking English, the teachers in kindergarten will have 90% Spanish speaking classrooms, with 10% being translation for the kids who don't understand Spanish. In first grade it will go to a 80:20 ratio in first grade, yadda yadda until it stabilizes in 4th grade at 50% of each. Then, for the rest of the student's public education career, half of their class will be in Spanish, the other half english.

No surprise, tho...

EDIT: Massive spelling corrections!

[edit on 11-11-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I live in California and driving to Fresno is like going to another country. Not only do your radio stations change into Spanish speaking entities, but billboards and signs are also in Spanish. Oh, and at McDonalds they great you in Spanish first (drive-thru).

I read an article recently where surveys were conducted in Southern California and a lot of the immigrant population felt it was unnecessary to learn English because they were accommodated so well; on top of that it was more beneficial for them to learn Korean or an Asian language of some sorts.

I have no problem with anyone who wants to live and prosper in the USA, but c’mon people. I mean people are giving France a hard time for not assimilating immigrant communities into their culture, but it seems immigrant communities don’t want that anyway.

[edit on 11-11-2005 by CogitoErgoSum1]

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
OK, a post I will comment on.

"WTF" is our country coming to!!!!! Lets see, To favor all who come here. We will bow down and accept your languages, let you overide our neighborhoods and tell us how we should live on our soil. Well now you better back up, because until the United States is conqured by a Spanish Country this is a English Speaken Country and by enforcing other languages onto our children is just anti american and he/she should be found of treason on the part of all white Americans who founded this place should stand up and realise that now they are making us the immigrants in our own country and this is BS!!!

Write your Congressman, Write your Senator!!!

Say no to Spanish America and remember this land was founded by white English Speaken Americans.

cjf

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justmytype
...now they are making us the immigrants in our own country and this is BS!!!

The American Indian had the same argument beginning some 300+ years ago about the Europeans, odd how times change....

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by cjf
The American Indian had the same argument beginning some 300+ years ago about the Europeans, odd how times change....

If Mexico and the US have a war and Mexico wins, claiming the US as its territory, then they can make Spanish the official language, too.

cjf

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
If Mexico and the US have a war and Mexico wins, claiming the US as its territory, then they can make Spanish the official language, too.

That was my point. The invasion of North America from Mexico, Central America and South America may have already begun.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by cjf
That was my point. The invasion of North America from Mexico, Central America and South America may have already begun.

Uhhh... Mexico is North America... Actually parts of Central America are also in North America. Canada is, too, by the way. And Alaska? It's a state of the USA!

As regards learning Spanish, I wish I had. It's a wonderful, beautiful language and harder to learn as an adult. What's wrong with being bilingual, like just about every other country on Earth?
Education is fun!

I think how one feels about this issue depends on attitude. I'm all for learning a second language. And I would prefer Spanish, myself.

cjf

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by cjf

Uhhh... Mexico is North America... Actually parts of Central America are also in North America. Canada is, too, by the way. And Alaska? It's a state of the USA!

Since the desired exampled quoted statements are formulated not to discuss formatted general topic discussion; rather to shift to geographical/geopolitical semantics and fully ‘miss’ wholeheartedly any conventional colloquialisms and vernacular. …

Uhhh…read what I posted:

“The invasion of North America from Mexico….”

The above does not imply Mexico is not part of North America merely a route the same goes for the rest.

There are four ‘great regions’ in North America, yes? Central American and South American persons use this land route as access entry into the remainder of North America, yes? Persons of nationalities ‘other than Americans’ also use this route as well, yes? To fully ‘invade’ a region you need an accessible place preferably on the same soil to push the general lines toward a goal, yes? Are cultural invasions as 'quick' and 'organized' as military invasions? No.

But, more to the relevant point I was speaking specifically to a cultural ‘invasion’ and ‘assimilation’ overrunning North America and not a military invasion nor geography.... hence the conversation about languages, m'ember?

Colloquial ‘references’ are relevant in cultural exchanges concerning events, despite what Rand-McNally or the UN may draw.

“…may have already begun.”

Which also does not mean the cultural ‘invasion’ is complete, near fruition nor recently begun…. and yes, if unchecked ‘it’ will eventually include Canada and Alaska, that is why I used the term North America and not the ‘Lower 48’ or ‘America’ or ‘United States’, or ‘USA’ or ‘States’ in relevance to the thread and my original comment about ‘Indians’,… of course…now...American Indians did not historically reside just in the ‘States’ now did they?

The comment about Indians was about irony, eschatology, loss of culture via assimilation…. not geography.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by cjf
Since the desired exampled quoted statements are formulated not to discuss formatted general topic discussion; rather to shift to geographical/geopolitical semantics and fully ‘miss’ wholeheartedly any conventional colloquialisms and vernacular. …

I apologize. I misunderstood your post. It happens. You really got peeved, no?

And in my defense, I wasn't just trying to 'shift to geographical/geopolitical semantics'. My assumption (and I cop to it) was that you had a mindset of the Mexicans invading and therefore were against speaking Spanish in the US. Your previous posts in this thread don't really specify and I didn't 'get' your point. My bad. Sorries!

I'm still confused, though. ARE you concerned about/against this cultural invasion (that may have already begun) or do you see it as a non-threatening change of our culture?

Something about your writing style that I find very difficult to comprehend your meaning. Maybe it's an Internet thing?

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by cjf

“The invasion of North America from Mexico….”

The above does not imply Mexico is not part of North America merely a route the same goes for the rest.

NO . . . the invasion of the new world came from Europe, it was already a very well establish civilization in the new world before the invasion from Europe so I needed to correct on that.

So they are not really invading they are just moving around after the first big invasion and assimilation.

Get it.

By the way the entire portion of the continent we live in is call America so anybody that live in the Americas are Americans.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join