It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing Attempts Record Passenger Airline Flight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally From BBC News
Aerospace giant Boeing is attempting to break the world record for the longest non-stop passenger airline flight.
A Boeing 777-200LR Worldliner jet took off from Hong Kong at 1030 local time (1430 GMT) and is due to arrive in London on Thursday at 1330 GMT.

The 23-hour flight will cover about 12,500 miles (20,300 km), taking the plane over North America rather than the shorter route to London via Russia.

Boeing hopes to challenge arch rival Airbus with its new long-haul jet.

So Boeing are wanting to keep an aeroplane flying longer than anybody else...
12,500 miles in 23 hours...

Why arent they busy developing new passenger jets that can cover the same distance in 4-5 hours?

Its about time we had a safe, reliable, efficient and cheap replacement to Concorde!

Link To Full Story!

Mic

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I think the problem of replacing concorde is one of legislation.

Boeing etc have repeatedly asked for clarification of noise emission regulations for supersonic transports, and have not got any reply except for - 'its banned over land'.

Note: This applies to both the united states and european countries.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee

Why arent they busy developing new passenger jets that can cover the same distance in 4-5 hours?

Its about time we had a safe, reliable, efficient and cheap replacement to Concorde!

#1 Less fuel, no lay-overs, far more efficient.
#2 Carry 3-4 times more passengers.
#3 Less maintinance and lower aircraft cost.
#4 Cheaper ticket prices as a result attacting more people. Id rather pay $x for a long flight than three times that for a fast one.

Smart move on Boeings Part

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Even the Concorde did not fly supersonically over land as the sonic boom would not be socially acceptable. So super sonic planes are of little use when flying from say the west to east coast of the US for example. So that still limits where a supersonic commerical plane can fly.

Companies like Lockheed Martin have been working on Aircraft that would go Supersonic without trailing a perceptible boom across the ground. If they can get that working it might make more companies develop supersonic passenger planes.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
yeah, its a good move on boeings part...if you want to "wow" the public its not a good move...but if you want to pad your pockets, its a good move.

Several companies, as well as Nasa have being working on reducing the "boom" from mach 1+ speeds. But other countries are building the concorde replacement, it will be bigger and faster and hopefully cheaper...but it will still have a boom.

heres the lockheed one...my fav.

And THIS is what the concorde replacement will look like, this is a scaled down version, just before being rocketed to mach 3 speeds of tests, its Japanese.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
....other countries are building the concorde replacement,

I disagree, plenty of people are thinking about building one, as they have for the last three decades, but nobody is actually building anything yet. No such project has even been launched yet, much less started building.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos

Originally posted by Murcielago
....other countries are building the concorde replacement,

I disagree, plenty of people are thinking about building one, as they have for the last three decades, but nobody is actually building anything yet. No such project has even been launched yet, much less started building.

true...poor wording on my part.

I meant that there doing R&D for a concorde replacement.
like so...

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   
OK

I must admit I'm very sceptical that a new SST will be launched, but I live in hope

Shame the people who originated the SST idea are largely out of the picture now though, I think that after production of the BAe Hawk ends there won't be another all british aircraft of note at all, and that is a tragedy.

[edit on 10-11-2005 by waynos]

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
well they did it - WHOO WHOOOPEY DOOO

35 passengers ?????????? - that was a very cost effective flight - NOT

I assume that it needed fuel bladders in the cargo holds to reach this sort of range

IOW - it will have zero bearing on how current long haul flights operate

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
well they did it - WHOO WHOOOPEY DOOO

IOW - it will have zero bearing on how current long haul flights operate

Sure, but its a whole lot of cheap publicity and the fact remains they are in the air that long. That alone is a pretty lofty goal. I wonder with the relative efficiency projected for the 787, we may see that one broken especially if they strip the plane down.

This is not uncommon, the USAF set a whole bunch of records with the F-15 Streak Eagle. It had no radar, no paint and alot of stuff stripped out in order to save weight.

Kudos to Boeing. No doubt Airbus could also stretch the range on the A340-500 if so inclined........

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Here are the changes they made on ALL of the ER/LR models.

www.boeing.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Boeing actually broke the record. The flight took 22hrs 42min.

Here is the press release

www.boeing.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by carcharodon
Boeing actually broke the record. The flight took 22hrs 42min.

ahg...I cant even imagine sitting on a plane for that long.

Yes, its an achievement...but honestly, there isn't a person alive who wants to sit on that long of a ride.

Hopefully in a decade or so supercruise and low-boom tech can make the Boeing 797 a mach 1.4+ aircraft, thats whats really wanted by the people.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Nobody wants to sit on a rediculous 23 hr flight, hell, most of us can't stand 6 hr cross country flights. Even when your big and tall like me, and cant afford the rediculous first class price. Prices for coach are already unacceptable. Build the dam super sonic bird and quit letting the environmentalists ruin this because they dont want booms going off at 35,000 feet + when u cant even hear them ANYWAYS!!!

Train

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Well, I don't follow any of that aerospace stuff, but I've been hearing good things about this Boeing outfit. I think I'm going to buy some stock in that company, and maybe you all might want to think about doing that, too!

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Naa, Boeings a dinosaur now and will be extinct in ten years, Airbus stock is, like garlic bread, the future.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Naa, Boeings a dinosaur now and will be extinct in ten years...

Fortunately, the muslims are rioting and burning out Toulouse, not Seattle.

Airbus stock is, like garlic bread, the future

Well, at least they have the smell in common....

[edit on 11-11-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Waynos, I know you don;t honestly believe boeing is done. What makes you make this claim if you really believe it? Do you have some inside info we dont know about. Boeing is a major military provider and we all know their commercial side. We might eventually see a Lockheed-Martin-Boeing Merger, but I highly doubt boeing is toast bro.

Train

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigTrain
Waynos, I know you don;t honestly believe boeing is done. What makes you make this claim if you really believe it? Do you have some inside info we dont know about. Boeing is a major military provider and we all know their commercial side. We might eventually see a Lockheed-Martin-Boeing Merger, but I highly doubt boeing is toast bro.

Train

nah, he doesn't think that...he's just talkin smack to off_the_street, while OTS continues to constantly plug his company.
(which has gotton old)

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigTrain
Waynos, I know you don;t honestly believe boeing is done. What makes you make this claim if you really believe it?

Nah, Airbus is such an important jobs (aka the EU Deal) project that the member countries will prop it up no matter what it takes. So in many ways it is like garlic bread:

When it comes out of the oven it smells and looks good, but after a few pieces, you feel all bloated and queasy

top topics

<<   2 >>

join