It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The curse of Oetzi the Iceman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I've read a quite interesting article about Oetzi the Iceman yesterday in a belgian newspaper, so I thougt I'd tell about it.
Well you all know the curse of the pharaoh, and now it seems like there's the curse of Oetzi the Iceman! Oetzi the Iceman was found in the Austrian Alps in 1991. On account of Oetzi the Iceman, 7 people were killed. One of them was the biologist Tom Loy. Loy had made investigation on the DNA of the hunter from the stone age. The 63-years old scientist has died 2 weeks ago in unknown circumstances in Australia. Last year, the amateur climber Helmut Simon who discovered Oetzi, died in a snowstorm. Just before his funeral, the leader of the rescue team (during the discovery of the iceman) died from a heart-attack. After the death of the pathologist Rainer Henn (car accident), the mountain guide Kurt Fritz (avalanche), film maker Rainer Holz (brain tumor) and the archeologist Konrad Spindler (muscular dystrophy), there is some talk of a curse on 'mummy Oetzi'. All the victims were directly involved with the investigation of the iceman. Creepy I'd say

[edit on 8-11-2005 by Laurent Van Winckel]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
wow thats alot like the pharoah.

bummer i cant take the iceman

[edit on 16-11-2005 by gothica91]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The funny thing about the"Curse of the Pharoah's Tomb" is that lots of people have seen his ritual objects in museums and violated his sancticty, but they haven't all died.

Not too surprising either that mountain climbers have died over the years, but pretty interesting story anyway.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Oetzi (or sometimes spelled Otzi) has been a research subject of mine dating back to the mid 90's.

Here is a little background on my old friend:

Discovered in 1991 in a melting glacier in the Ötztal Alps by the German hiker Helmut Simon, Ötzi is thought to have died at age 45 following a violent hand-to-hand encounter with one or more assailants.

He was hit by an arrowhead while being assaulted by his enemies, some of whose blood was found on the mummy's cloak and weapons.

According to Egarter Vigl, Ötzi managed to flee up the mountain until he collapsed and was entombed in the ice of the Similaun Glacier.

Probably caught in a storm at 3000 metres, Ötzi died in pain, most likely from blood loss, hunger, cold and weakness.

Our frozen mummy may be in his most troublesome situation since being assaulted by his enimies:

Ötzi the iceman, the world's oldest and best-preserved mummy, could be at risk of decomposition, according to the latest tests on the 5300-year-old mummy.

Dr Eduard Egarter Vigl, Ötzi's official caretaker, says that x-rays show suspicious grey spots on one knee.

"We noticed that these spots change aspect over time. This would indicate the formation of air or gas bubbles inside the tibia.

"And we know that gas is produced by bacteria," he said at a recent conference at the South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology in Bolzano, Italy, where the mummy is kept.

abc.net.au...

www.crystalinks.com...

News stories about the curse:

news.bbc.co.uk...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.libertypost.org...

Just a little background and information to help you peer deeper into this story.

- One Man Short

[edit to fix a link]

[edit on 17-11-2005 by One Man Short of Manhood]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Well, unless the scientists are able to figure out how to stop the iceman from deteriorating due to bacteria, this curse will not last too much longer
I did up a news submission on his condition a few months ago.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It would be a shame if they are unable to fix the bacteria problem. (or someone is UNWILLING to let them).

This is the best subject we have to peek into our past (mankind) and to lose hime is to lose part of our history.

- One Man Short

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Tom Loy is dead?!? But ... how? When did this happen? Do you have any links to this? I knew Tom - I studied archaeology under him for a number of years at the University of Queensland. This is terrible news. Tom was a pioneer of molecular archaeology and a terrific guy to boot. He used to get so excited when discussing his work on Oetzi the Iceman. The archaeological world has lost one of its greatest minds.

I'm going to have a drink now.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I too did not know about his death until this thread.

NOV 5 - 2005

The death of a molecular biologist has fuelled renewed speculation about a "curse" connected to an ancient corpse.
Tom Loy, 63, had analysed DNA found on "Oetzi", the Stone Age hunter whose remains were discovered in 1991.

Dr Loy died in unclear circumstances in Australia two weeks ago, it has been announced, making him the seventh person connected with Oetzi to die.

Colleagues and family of Dr Loy have rejected the notion that he was the victim of a "curse".

It is not known how many people have worked on the Oetzi project - and whether the death rate is statistically high.

Here is a link to the entire story:

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
archeologist Konrad Spindler (muscular dystrophy

Hey Folks this is a hoax, Anyone with a good eye would see that this guy an Archaelogoist mind you, got up the mountain in his electronic wheelchair? Ok The real point is, Muscular Dystrophy is not something you can catch and it does not suddenly come on like a cancer, you are born with it and its effects are immeadiate and get progressively worse. It wrecks your muscular and neurological systems. You can't die from it, but you can die from other things you catch while being too physically delicate.

So if this crippled guy got up the mountain in his electric wheelchair, then I vote this to be a true Curse of Oetzi...

-ADHDsux4me

new topics

top topics

join