It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soft Drink Grudge Match: Pop or Soda? (or what?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 10:46 PM
link   
since I started it and MaskedAvatar ran with it, what do they call soft drinks in your area? pop? soda? coke? cola? softie? (wtf? I've never heard softie before.)
let the grudge match begin!

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Soda.

Or just "coke" (lowercase)
"I'll have a coke, please."
"What kinda coke you want?"
"Sprite."

-B.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Well here they just call it soda. If you are getting coke then it is coke.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:11 PM
link   
To clarify:

In the idiom best exemplified by the scarfie, a semi-literate low-earning high-consuming sub-species of the antipodean regions,

All beverages = bevvies
All soft drinks = softies

Coke is always Coke, never Diet Coke, never a Coke substitute.

Pepsi is Pepsi, and it is fine, depending on whatever is the cheaper cola variant at the time.

But people referring to soft drinks as "soda" or "pop" or "soda pop" are generally ignored in public.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Here amongst the rednecks we ask for a pepsi, "Hey ma, make me a pepsi!", that's what we say, that is, that is.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
To clarify:

In the idiom best exemplified by the scarfie, a semi-literate low-earning high-consuming sub-species of the antipodean regions,

since neither myself nor dictionary.com have ever heard of a scarfie, I consulted my good friend google. google says "scarfie" is related to New Zealand. therefore, I can confidently say "silly Kiwis".

edited because I'm a moron and didn't notice that all the google hits ended with ".nz"

[Edited on 9/19/2003 by MorningtonCrescent]

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Where I live, it's pop, or soda; nobody makes a big deal out of it if you call it either one.

I personally call it pop.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Google in this case is wrong!

But Google regards most things antipodean as originating from Australia... hang on let me check something out... no! when I do a Google Search on scarfies, it comes in decidedly non-Australian, with correct attribution.

Not only are softies better, but Google is better in Aotearoa!

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Google in this case is wrong!

But Google regards most things antipodean as originating from Australia... hang on let me check something out... no! when I do a Google Search on scarfies, it comes in decidedly non-Australian, with correct attribution.

oops. post above edited due to my inattention to details. (yeah, that's the ticket.)

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:38 PM
link   
we call all of it coke here like in banshee's case. you say "you wanna coke" and they say ya and you say what kind? since coke was the first soft drink to become famous we generally call everything by it. just like nintendo. they call everything nintendo whether its ps2 xbox or gamecube.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Over here most people call it either "soda" or "coke"

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The old folks use to call it sody pop. I call it kidney failure

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 02:17 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Most here call it pop.' Unless you mean coke and then it is always coke. Pepsi has also earned name' recognition now. Although there is often confusion where you get an establishment where they only sell pepsi instead of coke. Often people will call pepsi, coke in that case.

Now when you go to professional drink slingers like McD's then they call it drink.'

If at McD's and you get one of the management you may even hear beverage' bandied about.

Older people may call it soda or if they are ambitious soda pop' but they are usually almost one foot in the grave.

Now for more serious topic. Is it fries or french fries or chips or whatever for you mlad?

top topics

join