It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Sony Music CDs Install Hidden Anti-piracy Malware

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
They still play on good ol stereo systems.You could just pipe one of the "sound out" ports into the computers "sound in" ports If you really need to hear it on the computer that badly.Or, you know, just listen to it on a stereo, with better sound.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I didn't get a chance to post this last week, but I still consider it important enough.

www.theregister.co.uk...

Looks like they got enough publicity to do "something".

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kalapadea
I didn't get a chance to post this last week, but I still consider it important enough.

www.theregister.co.uk...

Looks like they got enough publicity to do "something".

Before anyone risk's that patch perhaps they should read what it does

www.pcworld.com...

Still doesn't remove the software just installs more and try's to unsafely load drivers risking a fatal system crash.

My opinion is Sony are being Idiots and making it worse for themselves with efforts like this.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
SONY still doesn't want you to know this, but at least I was able to find the info. (Well, at least I didn't have any of them!)

Trey Anastasio, Shine (Columbia)
Celine Dion, On ne Change Pas (Epic)
Neil Diamond, 12 Songs (Columbia)
Our Lady Peace, Healthy in Paranoid Times (Columbia)
Chris Botti, To Love Again (Columbia)
Van Zant, Get Right with the Man (Columbia)
Switchfoot, Nothing is Sound (Columbia)
The Coral, The Invisible Invasion (Columbia)
Acceptance, Phantoms (Columbia)
Susie Suh, Susie Suh (Epic)
Amerie, Touch (Columbia)
Life of Agony, Broken Valley (Epic)
Horace Silver Quintet, Silver's Blue (Epic Legacy)
Gerry Mulligan, Jeru (Columbia Legacy)
Dexter Gordon, Manhattan Symphonie (Columbia Legacy)
The Bad Plus, Suspicious Activity (Columbia)
The Dead 60s, The Dead 60s (Epic)
Dion, The Essential Dion (Columbia Legacy)
Natasha Bedingfield, Unwritten (Epic)
Ricky Martin, Life (Columbia)

[edit on 9-11-2005 by LucyStoner76]

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Here is an article about the root kit. Now, as an avid gamer, WoW, has taken many Sony Everquest players.. I think this is an added benefit for certain intrests in the mulitbillions.. online gaming industry and world

www.theregister.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Well someone has offically used the Sony malware to infect computers...

[url=http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2005-11-10T160833Z_01_ARM058018_RTRUKOC_0_US-SONY-HACK.xml]Reuters[/ur l]

Sure didn't take long.

Makes ya wonder if this virus would have happen without the press coverage on the issue. Not saying they shouldn't have reported on this, we definatly needed to know. It will be interesting to see how much this turns up the heat on Sony. I was going to buy a playstation 3, but there a story on Gamespot (sorry I'm at work and that site blocked or I would provide a link) in the "Rumor Control" section of the news that talks about a patent filed by Sony that could be used w/ a console to keep you from being able to play borrowed or rented games. Each game disc is registered to a particular machine the first time it is used on that machine and won't work in any other.

Seems to me that all PS3 would have to be connected to the internet w/ a central database keeping track of the game registry for this to even be possible, but a lot of people will be connecting their PS3's to the 'net I'm sure. Sony may be cutting it's throat by going gung-ho with the DRM (digital rights management). I know I won't be buying a PS3 if they choose to include that feature.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by yadboy
Seems to me that all PS3 would have to be connected to the internet w/ a central database keeping track of the game registry for this to even be possible, but a lot of people will be connecting their PS3's to the 'net I'm sure. Sony may be cutting it's throat by going gung-ho with the DRM (digital rights management). I know I won't be buying a PS3 if they choose to include that feature.

I wouldn't either so basicly once the console messes up like they always do (especially playstations) you're whole game collection would be completely useless and you would be very out of pocket.

If that ever happens i can't see anyone it happens to ever buying a Sony product again.

I could see them wanting to do that to CD's as well in the future so the one in your hifi wouldn't work in you're car or bedroom then they'd expect people to buy 3 or more CD's no doubt.

I wonder what idiot comes up with these ideas in the first place he should be sacked before the whole business fall's apart completely.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
For those interested, Sophos has a removal tool that will remove the Sony DRM
It can be found here:
www.sophos.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join