It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody know what Fort Knox holds or use to hold besides just gold?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
im sure many people have known that Fort Knox is a facility to hold a large reserves of gold. but i have read that it held many other interesting items from the past like Magna Carta and other stuff. not to mention many of the world's gold as well. but it also held the Declaration of the Independence as well for a while. so i was wondering wat else it hold wen the U.S. govt was lookin for a place to keep things dat are classified until there is a more reliable replacement to hold it somewhere else.

www.usmint.gov...

In the past, the Depository has stored the Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Constitution, the Articles of Confederation, Lincoln's Gettysburg address, three volumes of the Gutenberg Bible, and Lincoln's second inaugural address.
In addition to gold bullion, the Mint has stored valuable items for other government agencies. The Magna Carta was once stored there. The crown, sword, scepter, orb, and cape of St. Stephen, King of Hungary also were stored at the Depository, before being returned to the government of Hungary in 1978.
The Depository is a classified facility. No visitors are permitted, and no exceptions are made.

i think this should be move to facilities thread...sorry.

[edit on 1-11-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I don't think it's really to hold classified things-(that become classified, if I make any sense). It's just that it's not a good idea to let people know that you have $1000 cash in your wallet or what you are keeping that they would want to steal (even though we know about the gold and it's probably already tempting to some). Some things may just be priceless. I think it's just a bank vault, maybe a little more. As far as classified, but not related to vaults, they probably do tank research and development there.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Other things at Fort Knox:

Fort Knox is a United States Army post in Kentucky south of Louisville. It holds the U.S. Army Armor Center, the U.S. Army Armor School and the U.S. Army Recruiting Command. It is also the site of the U.S. Bullion Depository and the Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor (established 1949), both located on the army post.

Other items historically held at Fort Knox:

During World War II the depository also held the reserves of a number of European countries as well as the British crown jewels, the Magna Carta and key documents from American history.

I'll stop quoting here and just point you to Wikipedia - look up Fort Knox and Bullion Depository, where these quotes came from.

Zip

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
have you all seen the security of the place? locked tighter than a new reno virgin.(gotta love fallout 2 hehehe)

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
are there any photos from inside fort knox? i was wondering that the other day, i hear no but im just checking in

Velvet

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Velvet1717
are there any photos from inside fort knox? i was wondering that the other day, i hear no but im just checking in

Velvet

Not the Gold depository, but the rest of the base, why not. Excluding the gold reserve, Fort Knox is an army base.

Here's one:

Behold the maricle of Yahoo! Photos
You know, you could always try the search engine. They can find things for you, and it's faster than waiting for a reply on ATS!

Tim

[edit on 2-12-2005 by ghost]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
James Bond Goldfinger. Fictional movie, but possibly designed after the actual For Knox? Its really detailed in the movie kinda.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Urban legend says that after the australian prime minister saw the film goldfinger, and the fort knox set, he wrote to the president of the US at the time and asked why they had been allowed to film in the gold depository when even he wasnt allowed in! Funny if its true.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Velvet1717
are there any photos from inside fort knox?

Sure are, just look at my avatar. That is from inside Fort Knox, and just so happens to be my ugly mug.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Quite seriously, is that you holding that rocket inside Fort Knox?

And I wouldn't be surprised if one of our PMs wrote that letter. Look at our current one, for gods sake. . .

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
That is an AT-4, they would not let me carry around the newer Javelin, that and I didn't want to have to pay for it, if any thing happened.

I have a couple of other photos from inside, will see if I can dig em up.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Apart from what the inside may be like, I can tell you that around the perimeter there’s a fairly decent golf course! I knocked my fair share of stray golf balls in there on countless occasions…

I remember when my father was stationed there about 10 years ago, me and my friends would always ride our bikes up to the Patton Museum on base and linger around at the Fort Knox exhibit…As I recall they had some rather interesting photos in there…

I’ll never forget this substitute teacher I had in the junior high school there….He claimed his grandfather worked on the inside and was privy to the theft deterrence system….Supposedly the place was designed to flood and drown any intruders…Never got any real confirmation on that….Sounded good at the time though

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by PennKen2009
James Bond Goldfinger. Fictional movie, but possibly designed after the actual For Knox? Its really detailed in the movie kinda.

I watched a show about Fort Knox and that same question came up.

People that worked with the Gold said not even close to that impressive. They said it just looks like a old bank.

Back in the Day local high school students helped with moving the gold sometimes. They said after the shock wore off its was just heavy stuff to move around. I think they even said the gold made your hands black after handling it all day as it was quite dirty.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
When was the Declaration of Independence housed in Fort Knox? I have never heard of that before.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omniscient
When was the Declaration of Independence housed in Fort Knox? I have never heard of that before.

I found some info on that here:
www.archives.gov...

"Washington, DC (three locations): 1814 - 1841

In September 1814, the Declaration was returned to the national capital where it remained until May 1841. From 1814 to 1841, it was kept in three different locations as the State Department records were shifted about the growing city. The last of these locations was a brick building that, it was later observed, “offered no security against fire.” With the exception of a trip to Philadelphia for the Centennial and to Fort Knox during World War II, it has remained in Washington, DC ever since."

There's even a little more here

[edit on 12/9/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

new topics

top topics

join