It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Vampire Spider Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The newly discovered East African jumping spider feeds on blood - a ready-made nutrient-rich whole food. The spider cannot pierce skin and suck blood directly from the source, so it attacks female mosquitoes that have just fed. Scientists claim that "Evarcha culicivora" is the first predator ever found that selects its prey based upon what the prey just ate.

dsc.discovery.com
Like the character Count Dracula and his real-life vampire bat counterparts, a small, East African jumping spider has a taste for blood, according to a recent study.

The spider, Evarcha culicivora, lacks the ability to pierce skin and to sip blood, so instead it feeds indirectly on blood by choosing, as its preferred meal, female mosquitoes that have just engorged themselves with a victim's blood.

The blood-hungry spider is the first predator ever identified that selects its prey based upon what the prey just ate.

Heydon agrees with Nelson that spiders now probably lack the right body parts and structure to evolve into direct bloodsuckers, but he does not completely rule this out for the distant future.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is an exciting biological discovery, and a cool predator. Efficient. And perhaps, evidence of evolution in action.

Still, I have some difficulty with the scientists' observation that this is "the first predator ever identified that selects its prey based upon what the prey just ate." Surely at least one of the scientists involved in the research must be familiar with the Stock Exchange?

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Its a very good thing they cant sting humans! It s definately like evolution is coming into play, another thing, think of how many things are being kept from spreading something potetially nasty, because its eating something that is less than desireable Woohooo! Horray for Mother Nature

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Just one more critter that can carry malaria around--glad they can't give it to us.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I don't care how helpful it is, it still scares me:

(from original news story link)

dsc.discovery.com...

Interesting discovery none the less

[edit on 29-10-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Still, I have some difficulty with the scientists' observation that this is "the first predator ever identified that selects its prey based upon what the prey just ate." Surely at least one of the scientists involved in the research must be familiar with the Stock Exchange?

ROFLOL..........That was a great morning laugh...thank you....

As to the story......How Fun!! A great piece, an interesting story and an excellent change of pace for ATSNN.....

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Its actually kind of cute... But it isnt likely, it can spread anything, after all spiders kill, liquefy, and eat their prey.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Why is this evolution in work?

I do not find any evidence to back that claim up, rather than the fact they just found another species of insect. They find thousands and thousands every year...

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

I do not find any evidence to back that claim up,

Odium - it wasn't a "claim" - it was a suggestion "And perhaps, evidence of evolution in action," based on the comment in the article "that spiders now probably lack the right body parts and structure to evolve into direct bloodsuckers, but he does not completely rule this out for the distant future."

...Just another way of looking at reality - and speculating that maybe we didn't just "discover" an old, previously unrecognized spider - but rather, found one that has recently evolved. Hmmmm. Not a claim - just an idea.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Thats a interesting find
I was watching a show on Animal Vampires awhile ago and they had a just discovered a Butterfly that feeds on blood. It was so weird seeing a butterfly using its straw-like proboscis to suck up blood off a dead animal.

Nobody ever suspects the Butterfly

Ive heard of the "Vampire Moth" of Southeast Asia is a blood feeder. Which can insert its tongue through human skin, and may sip on our blood for up to 60 minutes.

But this was the first I ever seen of a Butterfly eating blood lucky its not set up to pierce human skin but rather feeds on animals already killed by something eles.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I do not find any evidence to back that claim up, rather than the fact they just found another species of insect. They find thousands and thousands every year...

Chill out and dont get your underoos all outta shape. It was a suggestion. And guess what even if it is evolution at work who cares.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

a Butterfly that feeds on blood.

A vampire butterfly?

I think you just ruined my life.

I'm outta here.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Ive heard of the "Vampire Moth" of Southeast Asia is a blood feeder. Which can insert its tongue through human skin, and may sip on our blood for up to 60 minutes.

*Swats his shoulder*

*Slaps a freckle on his arm, recoiling*

Zip

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
It actually is rather cute in a strange freaky way.
Kind of reminds me of my cat with the black fuzzy legs and all.
Sounds to me like these little buggers are more like natures "garbage men" than an evolutionary work in progress, but who knows.

BTW, it’s not an insect, it’s an arachnid.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Well lets chalk one up for spiders.. i think everyone will want a vampire spider.. it's gonna be the hot new christmas gift in all the misquito heavy parts of the world.. lets just hope your not the first to get the new improved model with the kung fu mandibles, that decides to test them out on the back of your neck.

Oh btw... i'v always suspected the butterflies, everyone knows that butterflies are just a tool of the illuminati

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Rather than the fact they just found another species of insect.

And since when did the spider become an insect? I belive insects have 6 legs?? and spiders have 8.. Leaving them in a class of thier own..

[edit on 10/31/2005 by ThichHeaded]

top topics

join