It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano to Erupt in Pakistan?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Geologists flown to quake zone to investigate possible volcanic activity

Pakistan's army flew a team of geologists to an isolated northwestern valley Tuesday to investigate reports of possible volcanic activity that could force the evacuation of 150,000 people from the quake-shattered Himalayan foothills, an official said.

Is it a volcano emitting ash, smoke in Kashmir?

Is it a volcano that is emitting ash and smoke ever since the deadliest-ever earthquake struck parts of Pakistan and Kashmir? In its bulletin, the TV channel pointed out that ash, smoke and stones had been seen coming down from a hilltop many kilometers away since the quake two weeks back.

No existng or extinct volcanos in Pakistan here:
Volcanoes of the Middle East and the Indian Ocean

That Pakistan 7.6 quake must of done a lot more than what appeared on the surface it seems it would be the first ever.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Good find. Its also being reported by KC-TV in America, and Canada's Globe and Mail

A worrying situation for people already left stricken by the earthquake.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This is a very interesting thread, Rain.

I have been checking around.

The area we are talking about is the Alai Valley.

Let´s take a look back

14 February 2004. 2 strong earthquakes struck northern Pakistan (the Alai Valley). Magnitudes: 5.5 & 5.4
24 killed and 40 injured.
There were landslides, walls and roof collapses, road crackings, etc.
read it all

Also considered to be an active tectonic place:
Interesting information with pictures

Even though, I am with you. A super active tectonic place can cause a volcano, am I wrong?
Or such a valley can have a volcano already.

This is very interesting and I am really looking forward to the result of the investigations.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I just found this in Kashmir´s website

No volcano in Balakot: Pak Army

BALAKOT,Oct 22: Pakistan Army has rejected the possibility of the presence of volcano in Balakot.
Army authorities contradicted the reports that October 8 earthquake was followed by volcano burst in Balakot.
They noted that no smoke, only dust is arising due to land sliding on a huge mountain, 12 km away from Balakot.
Source: Kashmir Website

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   
No volcano in quake-hit Pakistan - geologists

"I have spoken to the geologists sent to the area last night and they said there was no volcanic activity there," he told Reuters after the army flew a team of experts to the area by helicopter.

"The dust and fog hang in the air for a while because of the cold and it triggered panic in the area," he said following the aftershock of 6.0 magnitude which had its epicentre near the valley.

"There is no crack in the mountains, there is no eruption," Kausar told Reuter

Yes Ptolomeo, looks like there's no volcano...scared villagers thinking the landsides were a volcano apparently.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Excellent job of initial reporting and followup, folks! While we do see volcanos near the edge of tectonic plates (and it wouldn't be impossible for a volcano to emerge there), it looks like this one's a no show for now.

top topics

join