It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pulse wave detonation engine

page: 1

join
share:
who

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Has anyone read about these engines? I saw it in the aurora project page a while back, but in Popular Science magazine, there is a huge article on what pratt Whitney and GE are doing to make this technology more attainable. Really interesting way of making power, the theoretical limits are really astounding.

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I've seen the nasa test footage of small, nuclear explosion prepelled engines. They were not all that impressive, only attaining a height of a couple of hundred feet on a test rig.

I'd be interested to know what they are using now, if they are still working on these engines. Surely nuclear explosions is not the way to go.

who

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 05:20 PM
link   
These engines have nothing to do with nuclear fuel or nuclear explosions. They run on the same fuel as current turbine engines, but have exponentally greater thrust and use less fuel due to an extremely effiecent design. The wave concept comes in that the engines currently fire at almost 80 times per second, with results expected within 2 years of being at a few hundred times per second. I will try to find the article if they put it online and post a link.

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I'd appreciate that, I'd be interested to understand how these engines work. I love airplane engines. The sheer power always amazes me.

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The first thing that pops into my mind when I look at a diagram of one is an internal combustion engine without a piston.
Makes something like the amount of power that a rocket makes,but much faster explosion velocity out of the nozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzle.

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 05:42 PM
link   
In the spirit of "Deny Ignorance" here ya go:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Feel free to look around the main part of the site. You may find answers to questions before you ask them

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 05:46 PM
link   
There is allready in the 'aircraft section' a topic about this.

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 05:47 PM
link   
.. to slow an aircraft down on re-entry,when there is a little oxygen available,since they require so little fuel.

top topics

join