It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Western Countries and Freedom of Press

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Western democracies slip back
Some Western democracies slipped down the Index. The United States (44th) fell more than 20 places, mainly because of the imprisonment of New York Times reporter Judith Miller and legal moves undermining the privacy of journalistic sources. Canada (21st) also dropped several places due to decisions that weakened the privacy of sources and sometimes turned journalists into “court auxiliaries.” France (30th) also slipped, largely because of searches of media offices, interrogations of journalists and introduction of new press offences.

Source

I'm very conserned about this. Looks like the War on terrorism is taking it's toll. A true Rise of the Police State I'm affraid.

Althou my country (Slovenia) is in very high 9th place, I believe it's just a matter of time till we join the other "old" and "true" democracies.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I think its a ton of HS but heh..
How was it made?

The questionnaire was sent to partner organisations of Reporters Without Borders (14 freedom of expression groups in five continents) and its 130 correspondents around the world, as well as to journalists, researchers, jurists and human rights activists.

Do the masses get a say?
Or is it simply a press only club?

new topics

join