It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mans greatest achievement?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I don't think anyone said the computer although I just glanced by. Computers run everything. Really, remeber the Y2K scare. THat was because computers would stop working. We couldnt have achieved the computer without other advances yet With the computer everything we do is 20x Easier. Writing a term paper takes 20minutes instead of 3 or 4 hours. Not to mention no writers cramp. We can take notes in college and store them and have no fear of loosing them or them getting eaten by the dog. We have computers that monitor our calls when we call into the police station and they SAVE our lifes, because they know exactly where we are. We have Computers that the military uses to communicate with eachother (ARPANET?) and that makes everything more efficient. Computers have advanced us so much its unbelievable, and the thing about them is theyll just contine to advance to get better. Computers are the greatest invention period. Up until the computer Im sure the wheel was. Fires problly up in there somewhere. But apes can walk upright to so I don't think standing is that great of an acievement more of a necessity inevidible t occur.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
This is a question not to be taken lightly, and now after a couple days of serious contemplation I'm ready to commit:

TOILET PAPER

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I'll agree with toilet paper .... that is really important

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Kind of like Donnie Darko's statement that soap was the most important.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I think I'd say the Moon as well - it was an accomplishment in itself but also a multitude of various other accomplishments in mathematics, engineering, etc.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The written word had me thinking BUT knowledge could still be passed down. The greatest achievement that allowed us to go on to greater achievements(reletive mind you
) imo is harnessing electricity. Without that we would be without, well EVERYTHING.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The single greatest achievement in history was when Sir Isaac Newton invented calculus to describe his laws of physics. Nothing of such magnitude has been developed since. Everything you all have mentioned has been accomplished by calculus, excluding the wheel and written language of course.

Computers, cars, planes, electronics, space shuttles, printers, faxes, phones etc etc etc etc all came from mathemtics from Newton.

However, some may argue, and may very well be right that even more important than calculus was the euclidean geometry that came before it. Euclid and Pythagorus were genius thinkers of no comparison.

Train

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I think the greatest achievement is going to the moon as well. For other things, I'd say the printing press and harnessing electricity are up there as well. I also think computers are a great achievement, they are very important in the world today.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Id have to argue that the greatest achievment a living organism could do would have to be creating a completly new brainform. Imagine: to create a brain, the very thing that defines your limits. Then hooking it to computers and managing to teach it things that the rat the brain cells it came from could never do:
www.napa.ufl.edu...
dsc.discovery.com...
www.cnn.com...

I doubt you'll hear much about these again in the news.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Computers

Human rationalization into creating a whole new world indepndent of nature's laws...

That is the ultimate testaments of intelligence

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
In another thread about mans greatest invention, I said our system of math...

Though I don't know if this is an achievement or invention.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Man's greatest invention is index shifting for bicycle gears.
Worst invention is organized astronomy and/or organized or unorganized UFO watching.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
A bit tongue in cheek - but I think it is surviving this circus !

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I gather Art in general is a great achievement of the humanity...And scientific discoveries also... Would there be a reason to give examples?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
1. farming
2. fire
3. the burger king whopper

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by American Mad Man

sliced bread.

second line

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I am probably going to change my mind after pondering it. But for now I am gonna say the assembly line.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
strange nobody mentioned the Human Genome Project .....

And i would choose the invention of antibiotics as the most important milestone in history

And for the worst : destroying a whole planet in 100 years

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Mans greatest achievement is silencing Tesla and that would be mans bad.

Since the Illuminati hold the answers and give out the directions,
I give man no credit for anything listed here because the greatest
is completely unknown and touted to be Alien BS, not a degree.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by carcharodon
Computers

Human rationalization into creating a whole new world indepndent of nature's laws...

That is the ultimate testaments of intelligence

I've seen circuits on the web touted to be early logic circuits from Tesla.
If he did continue work in that area, the secured world wide communication
through the earth with no need for satellites and von Braun's rockets
might be here by now.

Yet he did pursue other more important issues.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join