It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Greece Announces First Bird Flu Case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Greece has confirmed the country's first ever cases of H5 strain Bird Flu. The Bird Flu was found on the Island of Chios according to the greek Agricultural Ministry. The disease was discovered in a turkey on a farm on the side of the island which faces the coast of the country of Turkey. Turkey reported it's first cases of Bird Flu last week. It is not yet known if the H5 strain is the deadly H5N1 variant.

www.news.com.au
The samples were submitted from a small farm on the northeast of the island, which faces the coast of Turkey, the ministry said in a statement.

More tests to determine whether the virus is the H5N1 strain that can be lethal to humans are pending.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Two new reports today alone of new Bird Flu cases, this one in Greece and another in Siberia. More updates on this case as they become available.

[edit on 17-10-2005 by Mayet]

[edit on 17-10-2005 by Nerdling]

[edit on 19-10-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This is starting to become alarmingly serious. Slowly, its spreading across Europe/Asia. Slowly, but surely

This needs to get under control before widespread infection becomes unavoidable.

This is terrible news, good find Mayet, but terrible nonetheless.. I wonder, Just how much longer it will take before there are confirmed cases in Canada and the U.S, and the rest of North America.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
So if people are on holidays and things become serious, will they be allowed out of the country?
I remember reading that all 'feathers' and such, are banned.
What happens if these items are on clothing or part of gifts?

My mum rang my auntie in Germany last night, and she said that there was also news about the bird flu there and that it was contained.

Who do you believe?

helen

spelling.

[edit on 10/17/2005 by helen670]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Anyway possible you can ring your Auntie again and get some details. Like what town, what birds involved, what action taken, what is being said, and what is not being said. It would be great if you could post them here so we can watch how it develops in the media.

so far no cases are in media from Germany so it would be fascinating to get that info.

scoop it for ATSNN Helen

[edit on 17-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Hey Mayet/

I will talk to my sister tomorrow(who is in Greece now) because I know that she plans to go to Germany in about 2 weeks....
I can't remember whereabouts in Germany?
Maybe Dussledorf?....or something like that?
Anyway,any new info that I get, I will post it.

helen

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I'm going to Greece in two weeks on one of those funky school tours. Might be cancelled now...after I paid my E1000! So if I were to get infected I wouldnt be allowed back into my beloved Ireland?

xu

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   

This needs to get under control before widespread infection becomes unavoidable.

no one can control it but they can contain it, because the virus is spreading from the migrating birds. and they dont use WCs you know, it is like "bombs away!" during free flight.

in 1 gr of a sick birds excreta there is enough virus for 1.000.000 birds, and generally the yield of those bombs err droppings is more than 1 gr I am sure. these can land on your balcony, a lake, on the field etc. and you cant control when the birds defecate, or where will these land. so the only option is to quarantine it. and take the neccessary precautions, which do not include stocking hundreds of canned foods or those rambo knifes with a compass.

also I dont see anyone mentions that but the lakes, rivers and water resources are also in danger maybe not for humans but for the animals which are drinking it.

if it is contained properly then there is no need to worry. to date there were about 3500 seperate outbreak areas in 2 years period and only 160 human cases from these outbreaks, and about 50 of them died. ( in Cambodia, Vietnam etc.)

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
XU/ so you're saying that once in the lakes and rivers, other animals drinking from it, would get infected?
I know it is a bird flu type virus, but can other animals get infected and pass it on to humans?
Now if that is the case, there really isn't much that can be done !

Not quite sure, but a few weeks back i heard something about dogs getting infected with some virus that can be passed on to humans....but I cannot say that it was the 'bird flu' virus.....I honestly cannot remember where i heard or even may have read it soemwhere....

helen

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Bad news for birds yeah, but we've gotta wait till it mutates first before we all start panicking, infact the watching of this H5N1 strain spread around the world is a false flag as it doesn't mean the human form is spreading (because it doesn't exist yet). Although once it does it'll be quick.

xu

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
XU/ so you're saying that once in the lakes and rivers, other animals drinking from it, would get infected?
I know it is a bird flu type virus, but can other animals get infected and pass it on to humans?

yes once the lake or river gets infected, the animals drinking from it have the chance to get infected, and there is the possiblity of animals such as cats, dogs, pigs etc to get infected from bird flu. specially pigs can aid in the mutation of human to human bird flu and act as a carrier from birds to humans, once they get infected, something like a transition host.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by picard_is_actually_a_grey
Bad news for birds yeah, but we've gotta wait till it mutates first before we all start panicking, infact the watching of this H5N1 strain spread around the world is a false flag as it doesn't mean the human form is spreading (because it doesn't exist yet). Although once it does it'll be quick.

Picard - see my thread here It goes along with what you said -- and when I read the article it it scared the daylights out of me.
One paragraph in the whole article mentions a way that bird flu could mutate if a person with regular flu was to get bird flu.

edited to add more --

[edit on 17-10-2005 by justme1640]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
god, i have friends in Greece...

we better find something to do about this before it mutates.

if i believed in the whole armageddon end of the world thing, i'd say were getting close.

--Kit.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I have spoken to my sister about the 'bird flu' and things are not that bad in Greece.
There have been other major things happening in the world, and the 'media' seems to do nothing about them....why ?
I think that the 'bird flu' is just a deterence........we may have to wait and see what that is.

The vaccine they are working on here in Australia wont be available for a year...who knows what will happen in one year.

As for family and friends ,wherever they may be, all we can do is pray and whatever is to happen will happen.

IX
helen

join