It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: CIA Leak Prosecutor Probes Cheney Connection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
A federal prosecutor has questioned the New York Times reporter at the centre of the Valerie Plame case about Vice President Dick Cheney. The prosecutor wants to know if the Vice President authorized her to speak to his chief of staff about the CIA operative. The case surrounds the public naming of a covert CIA operative by an as yet undetermined Bush official.

today.reuters.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A federal prosecutor questioned New York Times reporter Judith Miller about whether Vice President Dick Cheney himself was aware or authorized her discussions with his chief of staff, Lewis Libby, about a covert CIA operative, Miller said on Saturday.

Miller also disclosed for the first time that the notebook she used for an interview with Libby in July 2003 contained the name "Valerie Flame," a clear reference to Valerie Plame, the covert operative whose outing triggered a sweeping criminal investigation that has shaken the Bush administration.

Miller told federal prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald, who could bring indictments as early as next week, that she did not think Libby was the source of the "Valerie Flame" reference in her notebook but that she could not recall who gave her that information.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Just how high up does this leak go? If Joseph Wilson is correct and the reasoning behind his wife's public outing was revenge then it makes sense that the order came from the highest levels.

If Wilson was drawing unwanted attention to the lack of evidence prior to invading Iraq then there is a motive for this CIA leak. Are these people so vindictive that they would ruin a woman's career for what her husband did? I personally think that is more than plausible.

It will be interesting to see who is indicted in this case. Impeachment any one? Reuters is carrying this so god knows!

[edit on 16/10/05 by subz]

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Miller makes it a point in her NYTs piece today that Libby was protecting the Veep, while shifting the blame to the CIA.

Excerpt:

In May and in early June, Nicholas D. Kristof, a columnist at The Times, wrote of Mr. Wilson's trip to Niger without naming him. Mr. Kristof wrote that Mr. Wilson had been sent to Niger "at the behest" of Mr. Cheney's office.

My notes indicate that Mr. Libby took issue with the suggestion that his boss had had anything to do with Mr. Wilson's trip. "Veep didn't know of Joe Wilson," I wrote, referring to the vice president. "Veep never knew what he did or what was said. Agency did not report to us."

Soon afterward Mr. Libby raised the subject of Mr. Wilson's wife for the first time. I wrote in my notes, inside parentheses, "Wife works in bureau?" I told Mr. Fitzgerald that I believed this was the first time I had been told that Mr. Wilson's wife might work for the C.I.A....

What was evident, I told the grand jury, was Mr. Libby's anger that Mr. Bush might have made inaccurate statements because the C.I.A. failed to share doubts about the Iraq intelligence.

"No briefer came in and said, 'You got it wrong, Mr. President,' " he said, according to my notes.

Not if the briefer was Meirs, he wouldn't?

Yet it's hard for me to believe that the Veep wasn't being briefed every step of the way. Or was he too busy during this time hanging out at the Pentagon?

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Please keep us posted as these events evolve - and thanks.

...So much left unsaid, squished between the lines. Hopefully, the truth soon will come out.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
One thing people have to uinderstand is the CIA as a whole is extremely mad about this issue when orginally in Sept of 2003 there was an attempt to sweep it under the rug, especailly with the presidential election coming up. That is also the reason for the many leadership regisgnations of the CIA when Mr. Death Commando Ambassador was appointed as it's head.

the CIA at large wants to get to the bottum of this. If anything to protect the many other covert agents from being squealed on whenever it is polically advantageous to do so

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This issue of the White house leak is not going to disappear or go away is going to be some very important names that will come out from all this.

Unless somebody kills the whole investigation due to danger to our National security .

[edit on 16-10-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Yes Subz, those people are than vindictive, but then so is just about every politician in Washington, D.C.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Well if Cheney had anything to do with it I don't suppose they'll just try him treason now will they? Now in my opinion anybody involved in this was commiting treason and should be given a very long prison sentance. If it just so happens that Cheney were to be convicted then I won't loose any sleep.

new topics

top topics

join