It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clarence Thomas Blocks Federal Court's Prison Abortion Order As Time Runs Out For Legal Abortion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Basically, a pregnant women rearrested for parole violation in California was transferred to Missouri before her scheduled legal abortion could be performed in the choice friendly state. However, on seeking the same abortion in Missouri she was refused transport to a medical facility for the procedure she was paying for herself, due to Missouri's state law forbidding any tax dollars facilitating abortions. A Federal Court ruled the state's position against merely transporting a prisoner to a medical facility as "facilitating abortion" was ridiculous, no matter how much gas costs these days. Clarence Thomas, acting alone, said hold on now, let's think about this for a while while her fetus grows past the limit for abortion in violation of another Missouri law.

High Court Blocks Prison Abortion Order
Yahoo.com
By DAVID TWIDDY, Associated Press Writer
Sat Oct 15, 5:54 AM ET

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - An attorney for a pregnant inmate who wants an abortion said time is running out for his client to have the procedure while the courts decide her case.

The U.S. Supreme Court late Friday temporarily blocked a federal judge's ruling that ordered Missouri prison officials to drive the woman to a clinic on Saturday for an abortion.

Justice Clarence Thomas, acting alone, granted the temporary stay pending a further decision by himself or the full court.

Missouri state law forbids spending tax dollars to facilitate an abortion. However, U.S. District Judge Dean Whipple ruled Thursday that the prison system was blocking the woman from exercising her right to an abortion and ordered that the woman be taken to the clinic Saturday.

The woman's attorney, James Felakos of the American Civil Liberties Union, said in court papers that the woman is running out of time because she is 16 weeks to 17 weeks pregnant, and Missouri bars abortions after 22 weeks.

The woman, whose name was not disclosed in court papers, has said she will borrow money for the abortion from friends and family but cannot afford to pay for transportation.

Under a policy adopted in July, Missouri's prison system does not provide transportation or security for inmates seeking abortions. The policy is based on a state law that prohibits the spending of public funds "for the purpose of performing or assisting an abortion not necessary to save the life of the mother."

State officials argued that their policy is reasonable because of the costs and security risks of transporting inmates outside for procedures the officials said are not medically necessary.

The state estimated it would cost $350 plus fuel for two guards to accompany the woman on the 80-mile trip from her cell in Vandalia to a St. Louis clinic.

"It is not the prison that has imposed the burden, but the prisoner's violation of the law that resulted in her incarceration that has imposed the burden," Attorney General Jay Nixon's office said.

In court papers, the woman said she discovered she was pregnant shortly after being arrested in California in July on a Missouri parole violation. She said she tried to get an abortion in California but was transferred back to Missouri before it could be performed.

Justice Thomas handles appeals from the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which includes Missouri. He could lift the stay over the weekend, after reviewing more legal arguments.

It is not uncommon for the Supreme Court to issue temporary stays that give both sides time to file more arguments.

It's also not uncommon to issue "temporary" partisan stays while time runs out on pressing issues like the Florida recount is it activist SCOTUS?

In any event, it's interesting to me that so many people still think their taxes pay for abortions. Obviously in some state's (where people support it) they do. But there are many laws on many state books engineered specifically to complicate things and force women to breed against their will. So buck up authoritarians! Even if your state doesn't hate freedom, you've still got an activist in Clarence Thomas looking out for ya.

This also highlight's the significant problems that will ultimately result in any broader enforcement of "state's rights" when it comes to restricting fundamental freedoms. A simple transfer between state's changed this woman's life forever against her will.

[edit on 16-10-2005 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Well she is now an incubator for a pregnancy that she didn't want, and her uterus the property of the state of Missouri, to become the breeding for a child that will be the bundle of joy for a state approve married Christian couple that will see it as their bundle of joy.

Life for women in this country is becoming such a great thing specially if you belong to the state.

I guess if you are a women and about to commit a crime make sure that you are in a Abortion Friendly State

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well she is now an incubator for a pregnancy that she didn't want, and her uterus the property of the state of Missouri, to become the breeding for a child that will be the bundle of joy for a state approve married Christian couple that will see it as their bundle of joy.

Life for women in this country is becoming such a great thing specially if you belong to the state.

You see Marg, what many don't realize is a woman's reproductive organs operate under a system of checks and balances.

It works something like this...

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Great call, Justice Thomas!

Oh, and Marge, what do you mean a "pregnancy that she didn't want"? Is she an animal, she couldn't control herself?

I don't care if it only cost the state $1 to assist. The law is the state cannot assist in abortions.

If she didn't want the child, why did she get pregnant? If she wanted an abortion why did she break the law?

[edit on 16-10-2005 by Carseller4]

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Great call, Justice Thomas!

Oh, and Marge, what do you mean a "pregnancy that she didn't want"? Is she an animal, she couldn't control herself?

Animals are the ones that wants to used her as an icubator for an unwanted pregancy.

Even if the force pregnacy comes to a delivery of a child the child will be taken away from her due to the fact that she will be in jail and will be deemed as an unfit parent.

The state will have now control of her body, uterus and pregnacy.

So like I said she is a state incubator.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
All of this is her fault. Not the governments.

1. If you don't want to get pregnant, there are ways to prevent it.

2. If you don't want to go to jail. Don't break the law.

If she would have controlled herself, the government wouldn't have to.

No one should be sentenced to death because of someone elses stupidity.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Wait for it..... Wait for it...... "What?!? Tax Money will be spent to raise the kid under state watch?!?!?! KILL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Anyways, this Moment of Republican Bush Worship was brought to you by the Activist Judges on the Supreme Court.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I think the state should have to pay child support, then.

And Carseller4, you're assuming she got pregnant by consentual sex.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
@ Full Metal and Benevolent Heretic

I'm sure the baby will be adopted.

And yes I am assuming she is a ...(insert derogatory term for someone who sleeps around here), she is already a criminal, so that is not a stretch of the imagination.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I think the state should have to pay child support, then.

We really just need science to develop a way to transfer and implant unwanted embryos in "volunteers" like Carseller frankly.

Let him push it out his ass in 9 months. I'm pro-that.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
@ Full Metal and Benevolent Heretic

I'm sure the baby will be adopted.

Like I said a state incubator, she is a sinful bad woman so she should be punished for her crime and be condemn to a full term pregnancy so she can endure the maximum penalty and humiliated for her sins.

Next all the self righteous ones like Carseller4 here can demand to have her drag by the hair to the town square and stone her to death then burned after saving her unborn child.

And yes I am assuming she is a ...(insert derogatory term for someone who sleeps around here), she is already a criminal, so that is not a stretch of the imagination.

So again self righteousness apply again in Carsellers post that points out that woman that sleeps around are criminal, so she is a criminal and her penalty is pregnacy.

Sounds like fundies agenda to me.

Actually Rant I was just thinking the same thing, they can take unfit women embryos and transplant them to mentaly well stable christian marry women.

like that it will become a law that unfit women's uterus should be for incubation only under state and supreme court supervision.

Occurs this women has been condemn as a criminal already by some and she probably is not even a christian but a devil worshiper.

Carseller was not in my mind.

[edit on 16-10-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Yeah, go ahead blame me, blame the state, but whatever you do, don't blame that woman.

[edit on 16-10-2005 by Carseller4]

new topics

top topics

join