It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record floods for Northeast US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

This rain is mostly left over from Tammy which hit the South days ago.
According to local officials all say this is unprecenented for over 25 years?, especially in NH.
No end until possibly Saturday.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
In my 22 years of existance (which isn't that long, I know) I have yet to see anything quite like this rain we're getting here in the Northeast. I'm from the Southwestern part of Connecticut...the part that is getting the most rain, a reported 15 inches of rain as of today.

This number is unheard of, and it doesn't show signs of stopping either. My whole backyard looks like swamp-lands, the trees roots are underwater in most areas. This is crazy, even my grandmother said she's never witnessed this much rain in all her many years of living here in CT.

I'm about ready to gather up a few animals and build an ark.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeepin4x4girl
In my 22 years of existance (which isn't that long, I know) I have yet to see anything quite like this rain we're getting here in the Northeast. I'm from the Southwestern part of Connecticut...the part that is getting the most rain, a reported 15 inches of rain as of today.

This number is unheard of, and it doesn't show signs of stopping either. My whole backyard looks like swamp-lands, the trees roots are underwater in most areas. This is crazy, even my grandmother said she's never witnessed this much rain in all her many years of living here in CT.

Hey! You're probably not far from me then, I'm in the southern portion of CT, not far off New Haven.

This past week has been really depressing, I can't wait for the sun to come out again. I think today is the 8th day of rain, and it's expected again tomorrow. Not far off record level precipitation for October, not even half way through the month yet.

Geez, imagine if this was winter and this was all snow!

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeepin4x4girl

I live in the South, but I was very concerned about how much damage this is doing..On TV, it shows houses that are off the ground being flooded.
High Water everywhere..
What are your thoughts on this, or what are older citizens saying about it?
It is not SAFE to live anywhere, even malibu had some damage..HELP.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I certainly do sympathize with the folks up there, it must be awful. I live in the southwest, in CO and we're on the verge of water wars with the Front Range cities buying up water rights from nearly bankrupt plains farmers while a years' long drought has been going on. We could sure use some of that rain.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dynamic Reality
Hey! You're probably not far from me then, I'm in the southern portion of CT, not far off New Haven.

This past week has been really depressing, I can't wait for the sun to come out again. I think today is the 8th day of rain, and it's expected again tomorrow. Not far off record level precipitation for October, not even half way through the month yet.

Geez, imagine if this was winter and this was all snow!

Well hello neighbor! I'm actually in the Greenwich/Norwalk area. Some areas here have had voluntary evacuations...fortunately for me, my area is doing okay....except for the massive puddle in my backyard. My basement is leaking a little, but not exactly a flash flood. My father had the water pump going all day pumping the water out of the basement.
Last night our power went out and wasn't back up until the following afternoon.

I heard the new haven area where you're near has gotten hit pretty badly as well.

and if all this rain we've been getting was snow, then we'd be in deep you know what.....this amount of rain in snow would equal about 20 feet or more.

Originally posted by siriuslyone
I live in the South, but I was very concerned about how much damage this is doing..On TV, it shows houses that are off the ground being flooded.
High Water everywhere..
What are your thoughts on this, or what are older citizens saying about it?
It is not SAFE to live anywhere, even malibu had some damage..HELP.

Older citizens, my grandmother being one of them, have said they have never seen anything quite like it. Seeing that my grandmother is 83 years old, thats a lot of years to have not witnessed flooding in this area to this magnitude.

I definitely think this is a warning sign...from the heavens, or some higher power. Some crazy stuff has been happening lately...

[edit on 10/14/2005 by jeepin4x4girl]

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I grew up in an area next to a pond and swamp and had a natural spring under my house so when we had any rain or water levels went up - we had to have 3 sump pumps going and at times even had to call the Fire Department to pump things out.

Now I live a few towns over and on a hill and have been thinking how glad I am not to have to worry about flooded basements all the time.

It is pouring here again right now -- but at least the wind is less so the rain is going down instead of across the yard.

top topics

join