It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: TV shows and Movies might become X-rated if this provision passes.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
I think there should be a law prosecuting PARENTS who are found out to allow their children to see improper material in the movies or tv. Parents need to be responsible for their children, not the government.

See, it's that way of thinking that causes all these problems.

While I agree (for the most part) that it's not appropriate for parents to be taking their young children to see movies with large amounts of graphic violence, I'm not their parents and it's not my decision to make. There is no excuse for wanting a law against this. If you feel strongly about it, you're free to talk to the parents involved and attempt to convince them of your viewpoint. Of course, they're also free to tell you where to shove your opinions.

I apologize for 'picking on you', I'm simply trying to illustrate that despite your good intentions, you are falling into the same trap. Just because I or you disagree with something is no excuse to try to outlaw it. That's still just trying to legislate morality and as subz pointed out, it's no different than so many middle-eastern countries which we find so despicable.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This is a fascinating thread - I wish everyone could be so civil in expressing hteir points of view. There have been too many excellent comments for me to give credit to here; please indulge me in one point that I think may be germaine.

Several posts have touched - and plunged into - the sensitive nature of the nature of our society. There is a lot of entertainment that many find repugnant for a variety of reasons - many of them very good reasons. There are lifestyles that people may find repugnant. Certainly there are philosophical and religious viewpoints that often annoy me. That's my problem. As my parish priest once told me - "We don't have to approve of people who make lifestyle choices we find repugnant; we DO have to tolerate them - at the very least."

I can dislike a lot of things that are on TV, the radio, the movie screen, or walking down the street. I don't have to like it. I do have to tolerate it. That is the price of freedom. This - for me - is a test of my Christian values, sometimes. Once again - if I have a problem with it, it's my problem. I am very concerned with the increasingly intrusive actions of this administration. They have the right - and the reponsibility - to enforce the Constitution of the United States. Nowhere in there - and I've read it so many times, I could likely recite it in my sleep - have I read anything like "As Pat Robertson would Mote It, So Shall It Be." BUT ....

If this gang of theocratic thugs get away with their agenda, we let it happen. It seems like many people here are politically active. It's far past time that people stopped letting the system run them. Take it back!

I thank you for your indulgence for humoring me in this latest epistle.....

<< 1   >>

join