It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spelling....it's not just about good grammar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I know that I am as guilty as the next poster on ATS/BTS but recently I have noticed more spelling errors than usual. Isn't it possible to do something about this?

Spelling errors could, of course, be simple "typos" but, more often than not, I have noticed gross misspellings of a number of words that could be nothing else. I have my own theories on the cause; schools no longer place as much emphasis on spelling in the classroom. This is, in part, due to a philosophy of "organic" learning. With the increased usage of computers in the classroom, it is expected that students utilise the "spell check" functions that accompany their word processing programs.

I would suggest that ATS/BTS members utilize these very same programs to check on their spelling before posting. This can easily be accomplished by installing the Google Tool Bar. The Google Tool Bar has a "spell check" function as well as a number of other useful utilities.

I would implore all ATS/BTS members to use spell check to make their posts more readable. Additionally, by simply submitting a post that has been posted without spelling errors demonstrates that a modicum of effort has been applied to their post and, for that reason, might be more worthwhile of being given attention.

Let's all work together to increase the quality of our posts; first misspellings, typos ... next grammatical errors.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I agree.

Lord knows I've made plenty of typos here in the past, but some posts are so badly written that they are practically illegible.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Spelling errors can be so annoying, especially when one considers that typos can be, for the most part, eliminated. Considering that there are numerous "spell check" functions at our disposal, typos and spelling errors can be all but eliminated. I would hope that we all make the added effort to making our posts as error free as possible.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I agree!

However, for some of us (yup, including me), english is not our native language. On some occasions, managing to formulate a proper sentence is a challenging task in itself, let alone proper grammar. :bnghd:

I watch and learn!

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
Spelling errors can be so annoying,

So are threads talking about them.

We are not perfect, sorry. Maybe in your world everyone is, we are not.

[edit on 10-10-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I am just raising this issue because it is something that can be easily corrected. Everyone has access to a "spell check" utility on their computers. All I ask is that everyone use it.

Seeing spelling errors in thread titles was the last straw for me. And while I know that I am as guilty of having the occasional typo as the next guy, I realize that there is something that we all can do about this.....simply take an extra moment or two and run a spell check utility. The one provided with the Google Tool Bar is, for example, an excellent one to use as it's very simple and straight forward.

If someone is going to go through the effort of making a post, is it too much to ask for a bit of extra effort to make that post as error free as possible?

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant

If someone is going to go through the effort of making a post, is it too much to ask for a bit of extra effort to make that post as error free as possible?

It is not to much to ask.

Is it to much to ask people to add to existing threads?
Do you think this is the first thread talking about spelling? There has been more than a bakers dozen.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Benevolent Tyrant, I agree completely with your concerns and comments.

I know that there are people out there for whom English is not their first language; I think their ability to post in a foreign language a great thing, and would certainly not even think of correcting them. I know how hard it is to get your points across in a different language; I post on several Spanish-language boards and know how difficult it is.

But most people here are native English speakers and are doing themselves no favor by posting sloppy messages. Misspelled words and bad grammar make a post difficult to read, and many people, when faced with such posts, simply blow off that particular post and go on to read something else. We're all competing with the readers here for their time; if you have a point or an idea that you want to get across, why would you make it harder for people to read -- and maybe accept -- your idea?

Finally, lots of people don’t seem to think paragraphs are important, and make their posts one huge block of unbroken text. My guess is that at least a quarter of the potential readers see this, realize that there's probably no coherence in the post, and go on to the next one.

Spiting Cobra, I can understand that people might become defensive about comments on their writing. I guess it depends on whether these people think that their product (the post, in this case) is valuable enough to fix so that everyone will read it.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street

Spiting Cobra, I can understand that people might become defensive about comments on their writing.

You call this defensive?

We are not perfect, sorry. Maybe in your world everyone is, we are not.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Spittin cobra says:

You call this defensive?

No; I call it sarcasm.

However, please note I said "...people might become defensive...." I did not have anyone in mind when I made that generic comment. Of course, if the shoe fits....

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
Spittin cobra says:

You call this defensive?

No; I call it sarcasm.

However, please note I said "...people might become defensive...." I did not have anyone in mind when I made that generic comment. Of course, if the shoe fits....

Spiting Cobra, I can understand that people might become defensive about comments on their writing. I guess it depends on whether these people think that their product (the post, in this case) is valuable enough to fix so that everyone will read it.

If you wasn't talking to me, I'm not sure why you made this statement. Why would you even post to me, about people become defensive? I didn't say anything about it.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
There certainly is no point in becoming sensitive or defensive about anything stated in the original post. This is a general observation that I believe a concerted effort is needed to help prevent spelling errors. There is, after all, no real excuse for most spelling errors since a "spell check" program is available to us all. And, of course, the occasional typo can occur. After all, we are all human.

As for those ATS/BTS members for whom English is a second language, all I can say is that I commend your efforts. I can appreciate the difficulty one must face when trying to post in English. English is considered by many to be one of the most difficult languages to learn primarily because of its' many spelling irregularities and idioms. Nevertheless, the "spell check" application can be of great benefit for these members as well.

All that I am saying is that it wouldn't take too much trouble to spend that extra few minutes to re-read ones post or to run a spell check program before submitting ones reply.

[edit on 10/10/2005 by benevolent tyrant]

new topics

top topics

join