It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masonic Symblolism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I was able to attend a short talk this week and some interesting things were brought to my attention concerning the symbols we use and see in Masonry. These were things I had not yet figured out for myself or read about yet, being new to Masonry, I'm learning tons of things I had not even begun to get a glimmer of.

The speaker I heard pointed out that the compass and square had significant meanings, in that the square represented the material world and experience and that the compass was representative of the spiritual side of mans experience. The compass, with its ability to create a circle was representative of the all encompassing sphere. He also pointed to other meanings and interpretations of many of our symbols.

I'm interested in what others may have to share about the legitimate symbology that is present in Masonic symbols. I know that several of the Masons on this site could guide me in the right direction for good reading materials. I have read the Craft and Its Symbols, which a good, short primer, but I'm looking for some substantial information. if you have suggestions I'm willing to hear them.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
My advice to you is simply to continue studying, attend lodge regularly and just keep your eyes and mind open. You are already on the path, what you seek will find you in time.

The deepest things are often the simplest. Look to the east.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I've sent you a u2u regarding this, and what I have read about it. I would advise as Khonsu... keep studying. As a non-Mason (today), I can't presume to tell you anything about the ritual, but I can share what I have found, and from what I hear, I'm pretty well versed in this kind of thing... considering, of course, my current status.

Look around on that site; there is lots of good information there.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Hey doesn't the Stargate Command logo look like the Masonic logo?

That is soo cool....

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Im a threadkiller aren't I?

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
Im a threadkiller aren't I?

looks that way. lol.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
They are reasonably similar, but that is due in part to the fact that masonic symbology relies heavily on eygptian symbology and myth, which is exactly what stargate is based on, that having been stated, the creators of the show, as show creators often do, may have borrowed from the masonic compass in creating the SGC logo

truthflly it isnt that uncommon to see masonic symbolism borrowed for, if not outright taken for commecial use, an early linkoln park video acually has a scene with the lead singer standing infront of a doorway and on the walls surrounding the door was several lines of text written in the royal arch cipher, the artist that worked on the video fully admits it's use

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
ive also heard that the mason try to have their symbols in plain view eg on the dollar bill so could it just be another way of iding in plain sight

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The most informative thread I've found so far on the topic is this one:My Masonic Journey Begins...

As far as Christians go though, there's only one "symbol" that they need.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

As far as Christians go though, there's only one "symbol" that they need.

Sigh....

Saint, my man, I wonder if you really believe that. We've discussed this before when talking about the symbol of "light".

I would strongly argue, and would expect you'd agree, that if a Christian were driving an auto in a foreign country and didn't know how to spell "yield" in that country's native tongue, he'd better be acquainted with what the symbol of a yield sign looks like. Obviously, the doctrine that there is only one branch of knowledge that a Christian needs is not correct.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Would you believe me if I told ya Jesus was a freemason and had a temple building company with Hiram Abiff?

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
Hey doesn't the Stargate Command logo look like the Masonic logo?

That is soo cool....

Is that a face I see at the bottom of the square in the top symbol? It looks like it has serpents coming out of its eyes.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
Obviously, the doctrine that there is only one branch of knowledge that a Christian needs is not correct.

Could you please explain specifically what you mean?

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Could you please explain specifically what you mean?

You said that there's only one symbol a Christian needs, presumably the Cross, although you didn't elaborate. This may be true in spiritual discipline, but obviously, Christians need to know more symbols than that, for example, yield signs.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
You said that there's only one symbol a Christian needs, presumably the Cross, although you didn't elaborate.

That's an excellent presumption. Your conclusion validates a personal experience for me and cannot relay how much I appreciate that. I was not told the symbol either, but was led to that conclusion. At the time I'd hoped I drew the right conclusion. It seems I have. It's a long story, one that no-one will believe I'm sure, but am really grateful for your answer.

Originally posted by kedfr
This may be true in spiritual discipline, but obviously, Christians need to know more symbols than that, for example, yield signs.

After the guarentee of eternal life in heaven and a personal connection/relationship with God, what more does a person need? Again, specifics would be a great help.

[edit on 31-10-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   

This may be true in spiritual discipline, but obviously, Christians need to know more symbols than that, for example, yield signs.

After the guarentee of eternal life in heaven and a personal connection/relationship with God, what more does a person need? Again, specifics would be a great help.

I fear that anyone who doesn't recognise a Stop Sign may be enjoying eternal life a little sooner than expected

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trinityman
I fear that anyone who doesn't recognise a Stop Sign may be enjoying eternal life a little sooner than expected

Meh, so I get shorted a couple of decades on this rock. Much to my benefit to be enjoying everlasting happiness sooner

It's also interesting to note when asking for specifics, I get more colourful allegories.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I thought the yield sign was pretty specific. If you're driving along the countryside in Germany, and can't speak German, and come to a yield sign, what you need is not theology but the knowledge of traffic sign symbols.

Of course, as Trintyman pointed out, if you don't know the meaning of traffic sign symbols in this situation, you may need a whole heap of theology indeed.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
What's "symbolic" of a yield sign? And how does that relate to masonry? Is there a Conspiracies in Traffic section I'm not aware of? Are Masons responsible for all traffic signals? Looks to me like someone is dangling an imaginary carrot, or at least one they're unwilling to share. That doesn't seem Christ-like to me.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   

After the guarentee of eternal life in heaven and a personal connection/relationship with God, what more does a person need?

What about a compassion for your fellow man?
It's all "me me me me" isn't it? It's "my salvation", "my relationship with God". It's an arrogant smugness that really goes against the grain.
I don't believe that being a Christian "guarantees" you anything. In fact, Biblical text doesn't guarantee a thing. Jesus states by way of parable that you have to earn Salvation. It was the Church which taught you that it comes for free.

So what more does a person need? I'd say something other than blinkers.

[edit on 1-11-2005 by Leveller]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join