It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zombies...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Alright, is there any symbolic reason for the zombie? Any at all? I don't nessecarily have nightmares, but every so often I'll have a dream revolving around zombies; some which were kind of disturbing. In fact I had one just last night. And no, I don't have these dreams because of watching a scary movie. I am well groomed in the horror movie factor and rarely will have a dream involving a movie I saw. Anyway on to the point. I've always been a little sensitive to the world around me. I'm wondering if somehow I'm picking up something and its coming to me in the form of zombie dreams. So is there any ancient myths or symbolism associated with the zombie? I would really like to know.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I would say that your dreams have more to do with the symbolism you place upon zombies rather than any form of objective symbolism. The reason I say this is because our dreams are often a reflection of our subconscious and symbols are the language of the subconscious. So what do you think the zombies in your dream mean? After all, you essentially created them.

The legend of zombies stems from the Carribean and from Haiti in particular. An anthropologist known as Wade Davis travelled to Haiti and determined that "zombies" were the product of a person being poisoned by a houngan (a Voodoo priest) or a mambo (a Voodoo priestess), who would use the toxin of the pufferfish to induce a death-like state in their victim. Believing the person to be dead, their relatives would bury them and the houngan or mambo would then dig them up. Hallucinogenic drugs and powders would then be used to keep the person in a trance-like state. This would give the appearance of a person who had seemingly returned from the dead and who possessed little higher brain functions and poor motor skills - a zombie. There is much controversy surrounding Davis' work and debate continues as to his findings.

In terms of symbolism, zombies are often symbolic of apathy, mindless dedication to routine, a group mentality, hunger, lack of emotions, a sense of feeling out of control and blind rage. You might want to examine your life to see if any of these are currently an issue for you. But, as I said, I do not think external symbolism will help. I think you need to consider for yourself what feelings, actions and meaning you personally associate with zombies if you are to glean any meaning from your dream. Hope this helped. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help.

Edit
If you want to learn more about Voodoo, check out this thread.

[edit on 4/10/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm a big classic zombie movie fan. I've had many zombie dreams.

Had one last night actually!

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
It depends on how you perceive the zombies. On one side to me they represent the human heard mentality. I see zombies every day walking down the street in their pre programmed existence doing the same old thing over & over, day after day.
If you've ever seen Shaun of the dead then go see that as it mocks the fact I just talked about in that he doesn't notice there's zombies everywhere because they are doing the same routine they've done everyday for years.
I'm a big George Romero movie fan & he also mocks this aspect of human existence in his movies.
The point I’m coming to is that perhaps your deluded with the mundane aspect of life & seeing lifeless souls wandering about on a daily basis is being represented in your dreams.
It's a theory but it could be completely wrong, I’m just throwing it out there in case it fits.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I had another zombie dream last night. Ths time I was in a building with lots of other people with a few guns (At the end they turned into bb guns) with the undead roaming the streets below.

This time I didn't get eatern and actually managed to smash one of their heads to pieces with the butt of an M4

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
SHadowed, Ive often had the same thing happen to me, Often when iam bored,I think about what i would do if Zombies started coming after us all!But ultimately, i doudt its possible, but you never know!

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
If I am remembering correctly, my dream interpretation class taught us that dreams of Zombies were directly related to homosexuality. Zombies represent your latent homosexual tendancies and killing them in your dreams is your subconscious attempt to remain heterosexual. If you are a zombie in your dreams, you've already accepted the fact that you are a homosexual and if you get eaten by a zombie in your dream you will wake up as a homosexual. I think that's right

or maybe it means you've been playing too much Doom.

one or the other.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
If I am remembering correctly, my dream interpretation class taught us that dreams of Zombies were directly related to homosexuality. Zombies represent your latent homosexual tendancies and killing them in your dreams is your subconscious attempt to remain heterosexual. If you are a zombie in your dreams, you've already accepted the fact that you are a homosexual and if you get eaten by a zombie in your dream you will wake up as a homosexual. I think that's right

one or the other.

Well, thats something you dont hear everyday!

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
per one of the online dream dictionaries:
www.petrix.com...

Zombie: Death. Automaton. Parts of your greater self are stalking you.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   

one or the other.

Actually, it has to be related to my love of zombie films/games. Romero rules all!

Panzerdiv, I am constantly thinking of what it would be like living in a society infested with hords of the undead too. I'm always bringing it up as a conversation topic, lol

DEATH TO ALL DREAM ZOMBIES!

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

one or the other.

that has to be one of the most rediculous things I've ever heard

I think your teacher was on crack or they were a homo and were just hoping others would have zombie dreams and begin to question their sexuality

no one can ever tell you what a dream means only you know what your dream is about and its meaning and some times your dream is just a dream a random set of things that take a course in your own mind

I personaly have never had a zombie dream

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Salanthus
I think your teacher was on crack

she was on me. another post for another site.

Originally posted by Salanthus

that has to be one of the most rediculous things I've ever heard

I think your teacher was a homo and were just hoping others would have zombie dreams and begin to question their sexuality

no one can ever tell you what a dream means only you know what your dream is about and its meaning and some times your dream is just a dream a random set of things that take a course in your own mind

I personaly have never had a zombie dream

so, let's see, either my teacher was on crack or my teacher was "a homo" looking to recruit able young men to the cause?

here's a third option.

it was a joke.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowedRedemption

I have had many zombie dreams lately, where I am the last one defending myself, actually it was me and my dog

top topics

join