It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: American Government Expected To Allow The Sale Of Meat From Cloned Cows

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Originally posted by intrepid
Why am I not surprised at the lack of concern give to this topic? We've been coddled by science for so long, they are a patient bunch
, that we stop asking the right questions like "Not can we do something but should we do something"? The genetic splicing is going to come back and bite us on the rear, WHY WON'T THIS?

How will it? Gross negligence I can see happening but how is that any different from a regular farm?

We've already heard of the effect of genetically engineered stock on current stocks, not good. There's questions about this meat imo that need to be looked at. Personally I'd like to know:

I'm looking for this and NOT eating.

Sorry for my limited skills.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
If the technique is good enough to grow organs for transplantation into humans then it's good enough for me to eat IMO. Of course I wouldn't jump on the bandwagon immediately I'd want to have a good grounding in the technology first, but frankely I would trust an automated system that gets sterilized ever so often then a farmer who's prone to error through either Ignorance, Apathy or Fatigue(no offense to all the farmers out there but it is in issue I have with the food supply)

I've seen first hand the practices of these factory farms and it's appaling that's why I think this way would actually be safer.

intrepid it's good to actually ask specific questions rather then being skepical about a new technology just cuz it's new. Without specific and valid concerns being raised the alarmist's will be written off.

[edit on 3-10-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Food is already plentiful we just need better ways at distributing that food, we throw allot of it away and even in some cases burn it right after harvest. Genetically modified foods could have major adverse reactions 10-20 years down the road. We just don't know so why commit our population to an unproven technology?

In the obsese west, certainly there's no 'need' for more food, but there are places where a genetically engineered crop would end famine. Who cares if there are adverse consequences 20 years from now if it makes the difference between life and death today?

There is a potential externals problem with genetic engineering, in that crops cross-polinate. There is no way to guarantee that crops grown without genetic engineering will not be affected by those in nearby fields that are.

But for cows, there's not really such a problem. If people are concerned about cloning, beef will be marketed as 'uncloned' and sold at a premium. If the government steps in, they might require cloned beef to be labeled as such, depending on which lobby group contributes more money or makes a bigger public stink.

<< 1   >>

join