It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Cheap Laptops under $100, MIT Prototype

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This is a great thing, aside from developing nations, our American Poor sorely needs this as well.

Here's The Link:

news.bbc.co.uk...

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Well I just read the article and if they pull it off it's just amazing and I love the hand crank part, I don't know how many starving cambodians it takes to turn it, but it's certainly interesting.

Linux makes anything possible

Spiderj

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Not surprised they run on Linux! Hard for people to grasp, at first, but a laptop for under 100 bucks is a great achievement - I only wonder how it will hold up over time.

Hand crank is pure genius.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I would think the hard rubber frame is going to hold up better than most in jungle areas.

Spiderj

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I've heard of this a while ago, good to see it finally reach fruition well almost heh. Back when I first heard of the project they had allot of grand designs of imbedding high efficiency solar panels into the shell of the laptop, I see they have not done that and it's a shame. They should offer more deluxe "Village" models that are more powerfull and have more robust recharging features. eInk screens as well as regenerative typing(eg Piezoelectricity just a trickle but to certain low power computing operations a trickle can be a torrent... perspective
) would be great idea's. I guess as all the required technologies come down in price it will trickle into the 100$ computer and the 100$ comp will become the 10$ comp lol.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Being discussed here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please contribute to the existing discussion.

Thread closed

top topics

join