It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Scientists Photograph Giant Squid in Wild

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Japanese scientists have photographed a giant squid in the wild. It is believed that this is the first such photograph ever taken. Previous evidence of the existence of giant squid relied upon hearsay and squid and parts of squid that wash up on the beach.

abcnews.go.com
The giant squid can be found in books and in myths, but for the first time, a team of Japanese scientists has captured one of the most mysterious creatures of the deep-sea on film in its natural habitat.

The team led by Tsunemi Kubodera, from the National Science Museum in Tokyo, tracked the 26-foot long Architeuthis as it attacked prey nearly 3,000 feet deep off the coast of Japan's Bonin islands.

"We believe this is the first time a grown giant squid has been captured on camera in its natural habitat," said Kyoichi Mori, a marine researcher who co-authored a piece in Wednesday's issue of the Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

We live in very exciting times, I believe. We can learn the secrets of the Pharaohs and the pyramids, the universe, and now our oceans, where perhaps the universes most strange creatures reside. It is odd, I think, that we focus so much speculation on the way out yonder when the way down deep is so wild and enigmatic.

Of course, the answer is intelligence. We humans are hungry to share our curious experience with some other species that can understand and appreciate our condition. It would be nice if we could find such in the deep blue sea, but for now we'll have to make do with the giant squid.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Wow, that's awesome, my grandad was a navy captain, he used to tell me all sorts of stories about how no one could find a live giant squid. Were there any pictures?

EDIT There is a thread already on the Mythical Boards. The news link is

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 9/27/2005 by Kalapadea]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Thanks for the link with the picture. Here's another link, but alas, no picture.

abc.net.au...

[edit on 2005/9/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Really exciting news. Another link - can't wait to see the video

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Kalamari anyone? Sushi?
!!! Really all joking aside this is great. Gotta see the pix.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Alas the photos (on Yahoo at least) aren't all that great...it would have been better if there were something for scale comparrison....now a photo of a giant squid and a sperm whale fighting, (they do that you know, the whale loves giant squid sushi) now that would be awesome!

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   

this is the squid taking the bait which is dropped to 900 metres

getting entangled with the bait

the squid loses a 20 foot long tentacle

the suckers still working

a previous catch fromm 1996

[edit on 28-9-2005 by Heratix]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Great story! Sea monsters, no less. Many sperm whales show scars on their domes from epic battles with these giant creatures.

My brother is a sea-going captain, now a port pilot, and he told me about a ship he was running hitting something far out in open waters. Whatever they hit was alive, and left big scratches on the hull as it went by, slamming away like it was swinging a big bat or something. He thinks it was one of these puppies, and he's heard other, creepier tales.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
About time! we have known these creatures lurk out there we have just never been able to photograph them.

top topics

join