This time its closer to home for the Australians and new Zelanders...
Prime Minister John Howard said today a final death toll was not expected for a few days but 13 Australians were confirmed dead, 220 were missing, and
113 had been hospitalised
"The sheer magnitude of what has actually occurred is going to take some considerable time to sink in for a lot of people including ourselves at the
hospital," Dr Notaras said.
"It has been our own, in a sense, 11th of September; it's a tragedy."
Australian tells of five teammates dying
Australian Brett Patterson told today of how five members of the Coogee Wombats rugby league team died in the blast - while others missed death by
Mr Patterson, who was travelling with the players from Sydney, said 11 members of the amateur club were on holiday in Bali's Kuta beach when they
decided to go to the Sari Club last night.
Seconds after some of the group had left the building, the two bombs exploded.
"They got to the corner and then it went off and they turned around and..." Patterson told PA, unable to finish.
The five left inside the club have been identified among the dead, he said.
Patterson was having dinner nearby and was about to join his friends for a drink when the blasts ripped through the area.
The 32-year-old spent the next hours trawling the eight nearby hospitals and the morgue in the capital Denpasar looking for his 26-year-old friend who
The two men are both from Dubbo in New South Wales and the young man's brother and two sisters have flown out from the town to help search for
Patterson said they were expecting the worst. He described the scenes inside the morgue as "horrific".
"There's just bodies ... and torsos and limbs," he said. The shockwaves caused by the two explosions could be felt 2km away, he said.
It caused the walls of his hotel around the corner to shake and other buildings in the area had their windows blown out.
"We got back to the room and it felt like someone was banging on the shutters," he said, adding that there was now a crater around the area where
the car bomb had exploded.
Bali bombing calls for more anti-terrorist cooperation
BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) - Condemning the bombing of a nightclub in Indonesia that killed a 187 people, governments around the world on Sunday called
for stepping up the fight against terrorism.
The Saturday night attack in the popular Kuta Beach area of Bali was denounced as "vile'' and the work of "evil and perverted'' people.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, which killed or injured nationals of at least nine countries.
"The world must confront this global menace terrorism. We must together challenge and defeat the idea that the wanton killing of innocents advances
any cause or supports any aspirations,'' U.S. President George W. Bush said in a statement released by the White House.
Bush said Washington has offered assistance to Indonesia's government "to help bring these murderers to justice.''
Saying he was "shocked and horrified'' at the Bali car bomb, U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan expressed his "utter condemnation'' of all
indiscriminate attacks on civilians which violate international law "and cannot be justified by any cause or ideology.''
"Such tragic events underscore the importance of cooperation by all states in the struggle against terrorism and to defend human rights, freedom and
the rule of law,'' Annan said in a statement issued by his spokesman in New York.
Australia, Britain, France, and the European Union also offered to help track down the perpetrators of the bombing, which set off a fire that killed
at least 187 people and injured more than 300.
The dead and injured included nationals of Australia, Germany, Canada, Britain, Sweden, Switzerland, South Africa and United States as well as
Indonesia, officials said.
Most of the dead were badly burned and have not yet been identified.
Calling the bombing "barbaric,'' Australian Prime Minister John Howard said he will launch an urgent review of national security.
At least seven Australians were confirmed dead, and the number was expected to rise sharply. Bali is a popular destination for tourists from nearby
Speaking on Australian television's 60 Minutes current affairs show, Howard said he wanted "a measured, sensible but powerful reaction'' to the
Australian police and intelligence experts were sent to Bali to help their Indonesian counterparts investigate the crime.
"The war against terrorism must go on with unrelenting vigor and an unconditional commitment,'' said Howard, a staunch supporter on the U.S.-led
war on terrorism, which Australia is supporting in Afghanistan.
British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw offered to send forensic and counterterrorism specialists to help the investigation, and French President Jacques
Chirac said France would offer "all possible help to help identify the perpetrators of these vile acts and bring them to justice.''
In an interview with the British Broadcasting Corp., Straw condemned the attackers as "the most evil and most perverted people who think that some
political aim of theirs can be achieved by attacking mainly young people who are enjoying themselves and also in turn contributing a great deal to the
The 15-nation European Union also offered to help track down the bombers and urged Indonesian authorities "to spare no efforts in finding and
bringing to justice the perpetrators.''
Russian President Vladimir Putin called for more international cooperation against international terrorism, which "gives terrible lessons to the
civilized community in different parts of the world again and again.''
"We should have only one conclusion: the vital necessity of an uncompromising truly general struggle everywhere with this evil of the 21st
century,'' he wrote in a condolence message to Australia's Howard.
In a message to Indonesian President Megawati Sukarnoputri, Italian President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi said that the incident "confirms the need to
continue the common fight against terrorism until it is defeated.''
Malaysia and the Philippines, neighbors of Indonesia which share its problems with violent Muslim extremists, denounced the bombing.
"Whatever the reason might be, terrorist actions should be condemned,'' Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi was quoted saying by
the Bernama state news agency.
"We do not want to see terrorist incidents in this region.''
Philippine Foreign Secretary Blas Ople ordered Philippine embassies worldwide to take precautions.
A small bomb also exploded Saturday at Manila's consulate in the central Indonesian city of Manado, causing minor damage but no injuries.
"We denounce these attacks on our consulate and the other bombing incidents in Bali,'' Ople said in a statement. - AP