It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Wingin' It

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Here in the good ol' US of A, it's football season. You know, REAL FOOTBALL, not that soccer stuff. And for many of us, the best in-front-of-the-tv-watchin'-football food is spicy chicken wings. (Sometimes referred to as 'Buffalo Wings' for the city of origin - Buffalo NY).

Here's my version, which is also my favorite, and I bet you'd like it, too.

Ingredients: Wings, seasoning, hot sauce, butter, balsamic vinegar, corn starch, vegetable oil. Blue cheese or ranch dressing and celery sticks optional. Skillet for frying...pan for the sauce. Baking sheet to hold wings in the oven while you're frying in batches.

Get yourself a mess o' wings and cut up into the 3 component parts. Rinse, drain & pat dry.Reserve the tips for stock (or discard. I won't tell). Season to taste (liberally) with Louisiana Cajun Seasoning. In a pinch, you can use Lowery's Seasoned Salt & cayenne pepper, but the results with the Cajun seasoning will be better. Heat about an inch of oil in a skillet to a frying temp. Make sure the oil is hot. This'll ensure the wings don't absorb the oil and they will crisp up. Fry in batches & hold in oven to keep warm until all are fried. You can eat them at this point & they'll be good.

For the sauce- melt a stick of unsalted butter in a pan. Add a bottle of
Cajun Sunshine hot sauce and a splash of cheap balsamic vinegar. You can substitute the hot sauce of your choice, but do yourself a favor and try this one. A lot of flavor, and not Insanity heat. When the butter's melted, take a little (maybe a teaspoon or so) corn starch in a small bowl and dissolve in a little water. Stir it up to make sure there are no lumps and add & stir in to the simmering sauce to thicken. You'll need to stir the sauce frequently or it will separate.

Now take the wings out of the oven and dunk in the sauce to cover. Serve on a platter with ranch and/or blue cheese dressing. My wife makes a killer side she calls "vegetable pizza" which is a crust of canned crescent rolls laid out flat & baked on a sheet pan, topped with a ranch dressing mix and shredded raw broccoli, carrots and cauliflower.

Sodas for the kids, beer for the adults. Bring On the Game!!!

Colts been doing it with "D" the last couple of weeks. Look for the offense to kick start today & have a big day against Cleveland.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Those sound good. it's amazing just how easy it is to make your own and have them taste 10 times better than any restaurant.

will have to try this particular recipe sometime.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I haven't made wings in years, and I only eat them once in a while when I order pizza.

I think I'll try and make a batch this weekend. Nice and hot.
Thanks for the idea.

join