It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S Military Rocked - New Abuse Reports Against Elite Regiment.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
A human rights group has spoken out overnight with fresh allegations of horrific abuse on prisoners, carried out by the elite 82nd Airborne Division and with the full approval of superior officers. Two sergeants and a captain have provided accounts of the abuses which include rumours of PUC (Person Under Control) deaths, broken bones, deprivation, extremes of temperatures and denial of life sustaining food and water. It is reported that in many cases Military Intelligence specifically ordered the abuse and the abuse was also widely known by superior officers.

www.news.com.au
The abuse was meted out as part of military intelligence interrogations or merely to "relieve stress" of troops, the report said.

"Everyone in camp knew if you wanted to work out your frustration you show up at the PUC tent. In a way it was sport," a sergeant is quoted as saying.

"One day (a sergeant) shows up and tells a PUC to grab a pole. He told him to bend over and broke the guys leg with a mini Louisville Slugger, a metal bat," he said.

The soldiers were from the 82nd Airborne Division's 1st battalion 504th parachute regiment.

"The accounts here suggest that the mistreatment of prisoners by the US military is even more widespread than has been acknowledged to date, including among troops belonging to some of the best trained, most decorated and highly respected units in the US Army," the report said.

The soldiers attributed the abuse to lack of guidance on the Geneva Conventions rules on the treatment of prisoners and assumptions that they did not apply.

"We heard rumours of PUCs dying so we were careful. We kept it to broken arms and legs and #," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When the first reports came out of the abuse upon prisoners, the question was often asked 'was this an isolated incident' well that was all the tip of the iceberg. Now it seems the hidden parts of the iceberg that can sink a military if it sunk un unsinkable ship, are being revealed slowly. The layers are being peeled away down to the raw reality.

This story is shocking in it's implications. We have three troops laying claims here and many more that haven't yet spoken out and maybe never will. It is about time it was made clear to the world how deep the abuses went, how high up the chain of command, who ordered it, who knew about it and who condoned it.

From the article we get the idea that this was sport, stress relief, a way to vent and let off steam. Using human beings as soccer balls, baseball and more. Using Human Beings for sport like the futuristic Arnie Movie The Running Man.

Sport? Using people for sport? That is the most barbaric and uncivilised thing an army, a nation and a democracy can stoop to. It is disgusting and not just for one nation but the whole world should hang it's head in shame that this is what we as a species have become.

And we call them terrorists.....

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Just because you are sueperior technologically doesn't mean that barbarism isn't far underneath.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
wasn't the 82nd airborne in New Orleans providing security to the area?

Everyone knows the prisoner toruture abuse isn't isolated, it is just the republican led federal governemnt is keeping a lid on everything

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Not defending anyone in particular, but war is not normal. Causing large amounts of death and destruction is not normal. Following "gentlemanly" ways of conducting war is not normal. It used to be that raping and pillaging were the norm, pretty much up until the end of WWII. It wasn't generally frowned on by much of anyone, in a general fashion. I do assume there were the occasional exceptions.

Now, we live in societies with unnatural goals and expectations (based on the fact that is us "humans")... There are very few rights of passage for boys to men or girls to women. The traditional roles we play in society are quickly becoming blurred. I'm not saying that where we are going is bad. It's just that we are not giving ourselves time to acclimate from one generational school of thought to another.

You put people in war situations and if everyone is not watched, there are going to be whoopsies of a large magnitude, like this one.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I would not read to much into the article, it was written by unnamed authors published from France and last but least it came from a human rights organization who are known to exaggerate things

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
not.

Who didn't see this coming? THe ammusing thing is their still calling it "abuse"
and not TORTURE!

I guess this is the freedom and democracy the US keeps talking about.

YOU saved Iraq from Saddam's torture, ay Thomas Crowne?

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
In a way it was sport," a sergeant is quoted as saying.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Do all youpeople live under a rock and only stick your heads out when the media starts screaming "Abuse & Torture?" Its War its not a tea party. Their are no steadfast rules to war. Its killed or be killed. Its really ironic that this makes the news but when insurgents booby trap dead bodys or target groups of little kids in Iraq because they know that the children will run to the US troops for toys and candy no one says a damn thing about it. But we interrogate a few prisoners and all hell breaks loose. Some people are unreal.

[edit on 24-9-2005 by Whompa1]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
If all antagonists were left dead on the field of battle, then THERE WOULD BE NO PRISONER ABUSE. The sooner we adopt a "take no prisoners" policy, the better off we will be.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whompa1
Do all youpeople live under a rock and only stick your heads out when the media starts screaming "Abuse & Torture?" Its War its not a tea party. Their are no steadfast rules to war. Its killed or be killed. Its really ironic that this makes the news but when insurgents booby trap dead bodys or target groups of little kids in Iraq because they know that the children will run to the US troops for toys and candy no one says a damn thing about it. But we interrogate a few prisoners and all hell breaks loose. Some people are unreal.

[edit on 24-9-2005 by Whompa1]

Interrogation is one thing, using human for sport and stress relief by torture is quite another. It is sad that you condone this depraved behaviour. I really thought more of the human species.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Get a grip. If these stories turn out to be true, those who are guilty will be punished. None of these accusations hold a candle to the torture and mayhem commited by the muslim fanatcs in Iraq, the communists in Vietnam, or the Germans and the Japanese in WWII. Grow up!

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   
You demonize your precieved enemy and portray them less than humans or some such nonsense and this is exactly what happens....I am not defending the Bush administration, they are indefensible, but this happens in every war...it is par for the course, its how you get usually decent people to kill other usually decent people (usually)...its ugly, its obscene and its been basically instituitionalized since Grunt picked up a rock and bashed Ugh up side the head. No matter the excuse, war is always obscene and immoral.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
This source is no better than the India Daily, nice try at nothing.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Related ATS War On Terrorism thread: Abu Gharib: Mistreatment Was Routine, Soldiers Say

And to answer to Mandalorianwarrior:

How about:

Washington Post

or

New York Times

[edit on 24/9/05 by Souljah]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Syrian Sister
In a way it was sport," a sergeant is quoted as saying.

Lt Col Skinner of the US Department of Defense said the dossier was trying to "advance an agenda through the use of distortions and errors in fact".

Human Rights Watch Distorts truth

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

And to answer to Mandalorianwarrior:

How about:

Washington Post
We are unable to locate the page you requested.
The page may have moved or may no longer be available

or

New York Times

The page cannot be displayed

Both links are now dead care to try again?

[edit on 9/24/2005 by shots]

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Washington Post
We are unable to locate the page you requested.
The page may have moved or may no longer be available

or

New York Times

The page cannot be displayed

Both links are now dead care to try again?

I get an Error on Washigton Post Link too, but New York Times seems to be working Fine...

What do you think happened?

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

What do you think happened?

Darned if I know, I assume one has been archived and the other you have to be a subsriber to their service (something I do not do to read others stories) all subscribing gets you is spam in the end.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The NYT doesn't spam - just as ATS doesn't spam when you join - businesses use their numbers to sell ads on their sites (as opposed to selling their members lists).

...Not surprising. Not justifiable. War IS obscene and immoral - which is why the world's nations got together and agreed to the Geneva Conventions. Too bad this adminstration dissed 'em. The guilty will NOT be punished - a few grunts will be scapegoated.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
souljah, anyone can find sources that say something along those lines. Everyone is spewing hate of the US and that's all you seem to do as well. You try to force your hate onto everyone else. It gets very old. Every country has major problems because they are all ruled by men and women in power.

I'm sure some nasty things are going on and that does not make it right. These things happen on both sides and most of the time anything we hear is going to be hearsay.

I hope this is a long enough response so that I'm not docked points. It doesn't take long responses to suggest that the original source was garbage. I shouldn't have even wasted my time in any thread that souljah was going to take part in. Some people refuse to learn and preach hate without the willingness to grow. One must always look at both sides, not the one they prefer.

new topics

top topics

join