It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use of military in future disasters?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
In Bush's speach he said
"It is now clear that a challenge on this scale requires greater federal authority and a broader role for the armed forces, the institution of our government most capable of massive logistical operations on a moment's notice."

news.yahoo.com.../ap/20050916/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_text_1

To me this looks like a way of saying in future disasters we will use the armed forces to invoke martial law. One more step on the road to tyranny. What's everyone else's view on this?

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Its a bad idea, there are reasons the military has been prohibited from operating in this country in the first place. I hate knee jerk.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
It worries me more than before. I not only trust the government even less but I am also loosing faith in this country. I know that is probably wrong of me to say but it is the truth. This usta be the greatest country, but in the last 10 to 20 years alot has changed. Although it started a long long time ago. I am not religious but lets pray that America will wake up before it is to late.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
i cant decide what i think about it. they screwed this one up so bad that if doesent casue a civil war i'll be suprized. it seems to me they arent even capable of invoking martial law as it stands.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   
The delay was for this very reason. The horse trainer, aka 'the fall guy' at the head of FEMA was put in that position so FEMA could pretend to fail and the military option would become the standard operational proceedure.

The 'disaster' that Bush seems to think know one could predict, was designed to set precedents and that's exactly what happened.

It only took a few days of FEMA pretending nothing was happening for the public to WANT the military down there and helping out.

Now Bush can take the stand, say he will take the blame, fire his mate in FEMA who was never meant to stay so it looks like he's taking action and then promise next time it will be a full military response, just like we asked for.

Then he'll go behind closed doors and start laughing his ass off with Karl Rove at how they got the public to accept and create a Martial Law precedent.

J_3

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheShroudOfMemphis

The delay was for this very reason. The horse trainer, aka 'the fall guy' at the head of FEMA was put in that position so FEMA could pretend to fail and the military option would become the standard operational proceedure.

The 'disaster' that Bush seems to think know one could predict, was designed to set precedents and that's exactly what happened.

It only took a few days of FEMA pretending nothing was happening for the public to WANT the military down there and helping out.

Now Bush can take the stand, say he will take the blame, fire his mate in FEMA who was never meant to stay so it looks like he's taking action and then promise next time it will be a full military response, just like we asked for.

Then he'll go behind closed doors and start laughing his ass off with Karl Rove at how they got the public to accept and create a Martial Law precedent.

well put. I found it very odd everyone took to this unprecedented military force and relief of rights on US territory. --- Just because FEMA denied help from standard relief agencies, and failed to perform. They claimed responsibility and didn't act. People at the enforcement level were all without information or knowledge from up the ladder.
Everyone except the only organized group entering the area, those armed with machine guns - with order to "shoot to kill". This continued and days later people began recieving aid in the city.

Why wasn't this handled like every most emergencies and why weren't people like the REd cross and other volunteers aloud in??

This just doesn't make sense. So much is out of place..

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Note that this time Martial Law was provided by National Guard, not the full Army. Its Bush saying 'Yeah, we didnt have full army this time, but dont worry, we will next time'

We saw SWAT teams and police doing raids on houses with the military, working together...yeah, police carry m4s now, they come visit you when you report a burglary not with a pistol but with m4

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by UFObeliever
In Bush's speach he said
"It is now clear that a challenge on this scale requires greater federal authority and a broader role for the armed forces, the institution of our government most capable of massive logistical operations on a moment's notice."

What's everyone else's view on this?

Its a lure... and a 'tangled mess' being woven...

a good number of recruits will opt to join a Homeland-Military,
thinking they will be performing in disaster or rescue logistics
here in the USA...

the thousands of now available men & women from the Katrina
ruins in the Gulf Coast states & others by extension with affected
relatives & family of Katrina victims will find the idea of 'Military'
service an Acceptable option.

But, each of us must be Astute to recognize the difference
between Military Service and joining the Armed Forces....
an altruistic mind might find itself getting 'rotated' into the Iraq or
Afghanistan Theatres as a consequence of the 'tangled web being spun'

peace

top topics

join