It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(MFSE) Tears of the Mother

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
“Tears of the Mother”
word count: 433

So the Gods gave favor to the mother and granted a child of immense beauty. Like a blue diamond it shone in the heavens and all the gifts of the universe were bestowed upon it.

She named it Earth and in doing so became Mother Earth, Watching her child grow and blossom into a living and breathing being. The waters were its lifeblood, the forests its lungs and the air its fragile skin.

With pride that only a mother can know, her child delighted her with its promise and growth. The gifts of the universe came together to form animals and young Earth was blessed with creatures of her own.

Under the watchful eye of the mother she tended the beings that had come to call her home. She provided each with what it would need to be strong and healthy. The bounty of her harvests was plentiful, the water was pure and clean and the air of her skin sustained them all.

Those were happy times for Mother and Child. Balance existed in all things and life was a blessing not just for them, but also for all the creatures they shared their life with. Such a gift was appreciated for the blessing that it truly was.

For billions of years they shared in each other’s company, both glowing brightly in the beauty of each other.

Then her child became ill.

At first, the Mother did not understand what was wrong. Her child had a fever and her skin was too warm. She struggled to find out why. The lifeblood of Earths water had become poison; the lungs of her forests had been taken away. She was fighting for her life against an enemy she did not know or understand.

The most fervent prayers are whispered in the cold dawn of a dying dream, and her prayers were the most fervent of them all. The Mother pleaded to the Gods for the life of her child. She remembered the happy times and prayed for them to return.

It was not to be.

As Earths skin warmed the forests could no longer replenish it. As its water became polluted it could no longer sustain the bountiful life that once called it home. As in all life the forces that had once kept it alive and vibrant began to fail. The child of the Mother was dying.

Holding it close to her heart she wept. She wept the tears of agony that only the mother of a dying child can weep.

All the heavens wept with her.

Wupy

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Wow Mr Wupy,

That was really beautiful and upsetting at the same time. I felt so hopeless and really sad. I am sure it is because I am a mother, and the thought of watching either of my children wither away in sickness with me being unable to save them is very upsetting to say the least. I kept hoping someone or something would come and save her.

I also liked the idea that Earth herself had a mother that watched over her in a doting loving way. That was a unique idea that I liked very much.
I also liked the poetic-like style that you wrote it in. It makes the reader pause for a second and reflect on what they just read. I didnt even realize I was doing it until I had almost finished the story. Thats pretty cool IMO.
I really enjoyed reading this.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Why thank you for the kind words my dear, I truly appreciate them.

So far this is shaping up to be a pretty good contest. Good luck with your entry.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I agree with you about the contest. All of the entries so far have been great IMO. I have to admit I am really excited.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
The most fervent prayers are whispered in the cold dawn of a dying dream, and her prayers were the most fervent of them all. The Mother pleaded to the Gods for the life of her child. She remembered the happy times and prayed for them to return.

It was not to be.

Now that's good writing! Well done, mr wupy
. This is, in my own humble opinion, your best work ever. You have crafted a beautiful story of magnificent scope and tender individualism that would not seem out of place amongst actual mythology. What's more, you have crafted it with words spun of magnificent beauty to evoke a range of emotions in the reader.

I too liked the idea of 'Mother Earth' as the mother of the planet, rather than the Earth itself. A novel and original idea.

This competition is shaping up to be one of the best yet in terms of creativity. However, this story is my personal favourite so far, and as a result:

You have voted mrwupy for the Way Above Top Secret Award. You have one more vote left this month.

Well done again, wupy.

[edit on 17/9/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah25

This competition is shaping up to be one of the best yet in terms of creativity. However, this story is my personal favourite so far, and as a result:

You have voted mrwupy for the Way Above Top Secret Award. You have one more vote left this month.

Well done again, wupy.

[edit on 17/9/05 by Jeremiah25]

Awwwe shucks, you're just sayin' that

Thank you for the kind words Jeremiah, I do appreciate them. I'm just waiting for your entry though so I can see just how tough the competition is going to be. So far its tough enough, but we've come to expect awesome writing from you my friend. Hope to see your entry soon.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Thank you for the kind words Jeremiah, I do appreciate them. I'm just waiting for your entry though so I can see just how tough the competition is going to be. So far its tough enough, but we've come to expect awesome writing from you my friend. Hope to see your entry soon.

Hey thanks, wupy, that's very kind of you to say. I am working on a couple of entries which, hopefully, will be submitted on time.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Well done. The world limit only allows so much imagery, but you did well with it.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Got to say, that is a very well written piece. I had never thought about Earth like that, as a child. Nice.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
very good as always MrWupy. Your take on the Earth mother was also quite refreshing, the description of her physical attributes, her emotional turmoil, all very well written. This was one of my personal favorites entries for the contest

btw I feel that this story along with sylvrshadow's Love Story compliment each other beautifully.

[edit on 10-2-2005 by worldwatcher]

new topics

top topics

join