It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Check your 'ignore' function

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 04:56 AM
link   
To be quick,
Certain mods control who you have on 'ignore'. At their own will, they select the post that you can and cannot see. That is, they will sometimes add someone to your 'ignore' list whom you haven't added... thus preventing you from seeing what they have to say (even if it's about you). So, check your personal info right now...

I brought this up, politely, in the 'secret' forum, only to get a "Aren't you gone yet?" response from the boss here... and a 'I see another whiner... ' response from a man who claims to own ATS because he donated to it once. As my complaint has been ignored, I am presenting it to the general board now.

Check out your membership files. See who controls them. Check to make sure info isn't being hidden from you. Understand ATS for what it is.

Also, don't believe in contracts you enter into on-line. Only trust someone you've talked to in person.

[Edited on 7-9-2003 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 05:03 AM
link   
...we also have the ability to secretly change the butter in your fridge for a container of Margarine...

...sneaky aren't we...

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I'm not #ing joking.

I came back because I respect members... however... all I have seen is shenanigans by bad mods and more of the same favoritism.

I expect this thread to be censored shortly.

By the way, a 'conspiracy' website can only be legitimate if it doesn't misbehave in regards to its own members. When mods start altering member's personal info and selections.. the site loses credibility...

[Edited on 7-9-2003 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Mine seem ok. All forums have favoritism at some level, it's human nature.

However, changing your settings for you is a bit odd, if it's without explanation.

BTW, forum dudes, if I click on the EDIT PROFILE tab in my SETTINGS, then click on U2U INSTANT MESSANGER, then I recieve a 404.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 05:43 AM
link   
k...OIMD...I'll give you, and other members a brief run-down of this whole Ignore thing...

MEMBER INITIATED IGNORE
Members can 'Ignore' any other members posts, by simply clicking on the Ignore button on that respective members Mini-Profile. This was a feature we added so people can be a bit more selective in what they choose to read, who they choose to read etc. We Mods/Admins are of course unable to ignore anyone...as much as we'd sometimes like to...there is still a 'need' to monitor what people are posting, even if its mindless dribble...so we don't get any Ignore Feature.

ADMIN/MOD GLOBAL IGNORE
A feature Admin/Mods can use. Basically this was instituted to temporarily make someone 'invisible' until an appropriate status Admin/Mod arrived on site to ban said member or deal with the issue that might have required them temporary invisibility. Some examples were members who basically just came on and spammed the hell out of the boards, troll posted, made accounts to just be disruptive and attack, or just had a bad day, erupted and posted things they otherwise wouldn't have - so a temporary 'invisibility' meant we could basically help them 'save face' and chat with them, see what was up and hopefully sort it out for them instead of just pull the plug on their account or issue them a 3 day 'stand-down' by way of the '5 Warns' system.

ADMIN SELECTIVE IGNORE
What you are likely referring to in your post here. This would probably be better addressed by William. However, this is my understanding of it:

Recently there has been occasion where certain members have seemed to do little more than have at eachothers throats all over the Forums. Threads get hijacked by these members as their grievances seem to spill into other threads, their own threads descend into tit for tat 'flame wars' and general discontent. Approaches to each party are made by Admins and Mods alike, asking each party to please stop their little war. Sometimes this works...sometimes it doesn't, and the parties persist.

When attempts by Admin/Mods to chill things down aren't working, we were previously faced with one option: Banning. Banning of one OR both feuding parties. Banning is not always a viable option, as there are times when the parties are otherwise good contributors, and we would hate to see either go...so...if they can't keep themselves separated, then along comes an Admin and 'separates' them temporarily by making them effectively invisible to eachother. When they have chilled out, when they can finally agree to put differences aside and play nice in the sand-pit, that temporary ignore is removed.

I can understand people would have issues with that...such as how dare anyone dictate who they can and can't see...how dare anyone treat me like a child...to which I'd reply "Would banning be better?" and "simply don't act like one".

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 08:01 AM
link   
This ranks among ATS's top 10 over-reactions.

When you posted your complaint about a global ignore function in the "secret" forum, I simply said "I though you were leaving", not what you indicated. Which is correct, because you indicated several times you were. So it was odd to receive a complaint about forum staff tools. from someone claiming they are leaving.

I thought I explained the global ignore... it's a common feature on many boards. Normal moderators cannot ban users, and this feature temporarily stops idiots from being seen, and from being responded to... which is what trolls want.

I assume you are referring to the 1 year of hosting that was awarded to you as a prize for the debate tournament. Everything was provided to you... how has any contract been broken?

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 08:04 AM
link   
One more thing...

Several people have offered donations to ATS over the years... none of them have influenced any factor of board or site operations.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Now that I am officially a "Truck Driver" (this lad MUST keep notes on ALL posts- I stated to Fury in a post "I just got out of the truck and..." Funny part is I drive a Four Wheel Drive, Suburban LT, that's what I meant
) I would like to point out that at NO TIME have I EVER intimated, insinuated, contemplated or even propagated a rumor, idea or remote possibility that I "OWN" any part of this board, domain, BBS or web site.

This is CLASSIC "OIMD over-reaction", and attempted twisting of the facts based on a morsel of data... I've seen this many times before with this poster.

I should think anybody capable of using the "search" mode would be able to confirm what I have said here regarding my own "Vocation" and the "poster in question's" issues.

Up until this most recent broo ha ha, I have never considered the "Town CRIER" to be the same as the "Village Idiot" (I've always considered that MY job!) but I am beginning to wonder...

PEACE...
m...

[Edited on 9-7-2003 by Springer]

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Well, I wasn't complaining, I only realy posted to bring attention to the 404 page I get. These actions were explained, as stated above, so I don't see any problems at all.

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 02:30 PM
link   
My point is that, when someone decides FOR YOU who you have on ignore, they are deciding what information you do and do not have access to.

I also wasn't talking about the website prize thing, above, but I believe that it HAS been implied, by some members, that they can call the shots because they have contributed (I also resented the "working people here..." comment by a certain member, as I spend about 12 hours a day at work).

I think that if everyone thinks about it, I'm not saying anything that could be considered 'crying'. When, on an information board, someone decides what information you can see....

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well, I haven't noticed anyone being ignored, only Trols, and I don't really want to read their posts anyway....

But I have noticed a lot of people complaining about ATS again......it must be some kind of TBATS conspiracy again

But seriously, there are far more important things to be getting your knickers in a twist over, chill out!

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Granted, OIMD is a little edgy right now, but he's certainly no Troll, and I've never seen a topic/thread where he acted like an 'idiot' (espececiall a village one). As someone who knows him in real life, I can honestly say that he's a genius.

He is a little worked-up right now, though, for various reasons--- 99% of which are not related to ATS.

ps- he just left to go get some stuff for the game, so he didn't make me say any of that.

[Edited on 7-9-2003 by GeorgieTago]

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Meh maybe we should put JetSetter on global ignore.
Who else votes aye?

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Although he has posted to gain points i wouldnt ignore him or anyone else for that matter...

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 03:03 PM
link   
OIMD: This is really irritating... I thought you claimed you were leaving. Why are you complaining of ATS issues if you intend to leave?
Please... this issue has been explained, over and over and over and over and over and over. If you don't like a board where the staff have a suite of tools to manage fools and idiots then please make good on your promise and move on.

And it doesn't matter a flying hump of beans what rights "some people" feel they have here because they have made donations... no one influences ATS policy other than staff... and even then, Simon has final veto over anything. I'll ban an overt idiot who as donated $500 just as quickly as I've banned FM in the past... count on it.

(but we do appreciate and need the donations.
)

[Edited on 7-9-2003 by William]

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NinjaoftheNight
Meh maybe we should put JetSetter on global ignore.
Who else votes aye?

you have my vote...lol j/k...my normal ignore is good enough for me. I only have one person on ignore.Can you guess who it is?...

[Edited on 9-7-2003 by theshadowknows]

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Nicely put william! hee hee

blackwidow's son

top topics

join