It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subscribed Thread, Myats RSS feed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
How hard would it be to program a RSS feed for "Subscribed Threads"?

Or even MyAts?

Keep in mind i am not a programmer (hence the question) or a marketer. (I have no idea how much demand there would be for this)

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
RSS feeds are static XML files that are genereated every 5-10 min(Guessing). When I say static I mean that they are not generated on the fly like your MyATS page. Generating a dynamic XML file would probably take a huge amount of work and some special software that would cost $$$. It would be another big load on the server as well.

I think a good alternative would be to generate an XML file for each forum, and then you could just pick and choose the ones you wanted. That's my idea, but wait and see what SkepticOverlord says, since he's the one that would be doing all the programming. A RSS for each forum might be to big a load on the server too.

[edit on 14-9-2005 by dbates]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
^
Exactly. And don't forget he'd have to do it for everyone which would be enormous. You could, I suppose, opt to buy one, if given the chance, for 500,000 points or something. But would it be worth it? You'd never be leaving ATS at that point.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

I think a good alternative would be to generate an XML file for each forum,

Dude, every forum already has an RSS feed.
Check the peak oil forum for example:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

^^
That's the link for the forum's XML RSS feed.

Oh, and a dynamic XML feed isn't that difficult to make, and won't put a big load on the server. Its the same DB query as a normal page view, and parsing that into an XML file is no big deal.
The problem is the big threads, that would be a huge query and has a long XML parsing time.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Wow! You learn something new every day. Thanks Zion. So that's the answer the original problem. Just suscribe to all the forums you want to watch and there you go.

[edit on 15-9-2005 by dbates]

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Excellent! Thanks Zion that will be fine. I can't believe i didn't see that, I'm used to looking for the Orange XML logo, and now that I know its there, it is pretty obvious.

[edit on 15/9/05 by ConspiracyNut23]

top topics

join