It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creatine pros/cons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I'd like a better idea of what to expect when incorporating Creatine into my workout routine.

Talk about pros and cons please. Are there any serious health hazards. Affect libido?

Thanks

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
pros: bigger, fuller, more explosive workouts, lactid acid build up is lessened for better stamina, strength increase, dont get that dehydrated feeling after intense workouts, helps muscles heal faster

cons: too much may give you the squirts, muscle soreness from being able to work harder, muscles may look and feel soft due to water retention.

Creatine does affect libido whatsoever, no worries there. It is a safe supplement. A training friend I have been using it on and off for 5 years and have no ill effects from it, but I can only use it during the off season. I recommend it to anyone I train as well. I recommend using it, but if you have concerns, check with your doctor before taking it.
Another good supplement that I found to be better than regular creatine is Meta-Cel. It seems to have a better way of delivering water and creatine to the muscle, the compound is called Potentin. The company has a patent on its Phosphitol compound which helps activate the muscles to take in more water which helps build mass. Meta cell is very safe, with no ill side effects.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Vass

Creatine give more muscle mass, stamina, make muscles heal faster, etc but it also gives diarrhea and mood swings as a short term side affect and long term side affect can cause kidney damage.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I didn't like using creatine because it made me angry and my libido would go crazy everyday.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Make sure you drink a lot of water and take dextro or some sugar after you take it. There's nothing wrong with creatine btw, no bad adverse side affects afaik.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Yeah, I agree the above post.

My first creatine experience was a mixed blessing. It really helped with hypertrophy and I could notice a little extra in my workouts. The problem I ran into, as well as many others, was bloating, small amounts of cramping and some very weird chest and stomach pains, not to mention the fact that I was drinking over a gallon of water a day.

What caused the problems? Two things. Firstly, the brand was GNC. 'Nuff said. The other, it was just regular old Creatine Monohydrate. I would suggest supplementing with micronized creatine. This is a very high quality creatine. Quality makes a difference.

Another thing to remember, the loading phase can be harsh. Having to drink lots of water and taking close to 20g a day for 7 days can be tough. Honestly, loading is not as neccessary as once thought. Plus, remember that these companies want you to consume more than you really need to so that you have to purchase more creatine sooner. Right?

Also, unless you take your creatine with some sort of catalyst or carrier, all that creatine you take won't go where it needs to. That carrier is Insulin. To be more specific, Dextrose or Sucrose. The directions on the label might tell you to take it with grape juice, however, fruit juices are high in fructose and this particular sugar will not spike your insulin. So, grape juice would not really do you justice. Finding a good post workout drink that has dextrose or maltodextrose would be the best. If not, just grab something with sucrose.

As far as adverse effects of creatine, there aren't any real studies that show creatine harming anyone. Long term studies are still being performed though, so just take the 5g a day and you'll be good.

-Dev

new topics

top topics

join